Chapter 13

Just Once

You already knew who you loved more. It was obvious. To think you'd just gone through that excruciatingly embarassing mental breakdown and finally confessed your hidden feelings to the love of your life -- well, former love of your life that is -- only to come to realize that you no longer loved him as much as you had before.

 

"Hoya."

 

Hurt washed over the once hopeful look on his face and guilt came over you hard. You'd never seen Dongwoo look so defeated. His usual happy and joyful demeanor was crushed instantly through your peircing decision.

 

"I'm sorry," You whispered and made a move to take a hold of his hand. 

 

He jerked his hand back and plastered a smile on his face.

 

"I saw it coming," He commented, "I mean, you guys were so happy and stuff. I guess I sorta screwed up didn't I? If I'd only told you sooner, maybe it might had been you and me being that happy."

 

You casted your gaze from his hurt face to your feet. You couldn't bear to look at him anymore. The guilt and the partial regret you were feeling was drowning you, but you couldn't change the past. What's done is done. The only thing you could do at that point was move forward and make the best of the situation.

 

"I'm really sorry Dongwoo," You apologized once again, "I wish I could make this easier for you. I know how you feel, because I felt the same way once too, but I'm happy now. I'm happy with Hoya, and he's happy with me. I don't wish that I could change the way things are though. I'm glad Hoya confessed to me, because if he hadn't, God knows how miserable I would've been now."

 

Dongwoo turned his attention to the sky and closed his eyes, as if he were in deep thought. As hurt as he must've been, you were hurt too. You didn't want to see your best friend so broken, but this was reality, and reality was harsh.

 

"You shouldn't have to apologize to me," He finally said after a few minutes of deep contemplation, and chuckled lightly.

 

You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion. Shouldn't you have been sorry though? You'd just crushed his feelings perpetually.

 

"But I hurt you," You said, trying to make sense of what he was getting at.

 

"Yeah. You did. You basically ripped my heart right out of my chest, tore it apart, stepped on it and--"

 

"Okay, I think I get it," You said, quickly cutting him off.

 

He chuckled and took your hand in his.

 

"But, you have no reason to be sorry. You can't help what you feel, and I just have to accept that. It might take a while for me to get over this, but I will. I don't want you to dwell over this and beat yourself up for it because I know you will. You didn't do anything wrong. I guess, this is just my luck, but hey, I can either drown myself in depression or get over it. I think I'd rather get over it, " He grinned, and pulled you in for a hug.

 

"I'm sorry," You whispered for the last time, and pulled back.

 

He ruffled your hair, and put his hands in his pocket. He began to turn on his heel, inching towards the exit of the park. You did your best to match up to his pace and silently followed him out of your little haven, and back to reality. The walk back home was quiet, but it wasn't an awkward quiet. There was no tension in the air, and you smiled at the comfort of that. Dongwoo walked you too your door; an unreadable expression plastered on his face.

 

"Thanks for today," You said and turned to open the door to your house.

 

Dongwoo suddenly grabbed your wrist, and turned you to face him.

 

"No, thank you for today. Strangely enough, I feel a lot better because of today," He said, and shone you the signature Dongwoo smile that you loved so much.

 

"I think, I can finally move on now and that's.. a wonderful prospect," He commented and let go of your wrist.

 

You watched as your first love made his way down your drive way, turning at the very end to once again flash you his beautiful smile and give you a quick wave. You wave back with your heart finally at ease. You'd finally made a decision. As he was going to learn to let you go, you'd finally learnt let go of him yourself. Now you could finally give yourself completely to Hoya because the longing ache in your heart was no longer there. It was now filled with the love you knew you felt for him, and this put your mind at ease. You walked into the house to be welcomed by a smirking Yerin.

 

"So," She said and put a hand on her hip, "How did your date go?"

 

"It wasn't a date Yerin," You stated, walking past her to head upstairs to your room.

 

You stopped at the top of the stairs and turned to look back down at your little sister.

 

You smiled softly at her and said, "I made a decision."

 

She smiled with pride back at you and ran up stairs to give you a hug.

 

"I'm glad. You deserve to be completely happy," She said and pulled back to pinch your cheeks.

 

You did deserve to be happy, and how that you were, you couldn't wait for Hoya to get back so you could share that happiness with him.

 


You guys, omg. I am going to be completely honest with you. I hate writing this story, LOL. I was going to end it here, but I felt like that would be a crappy ending, and I couldn't do that to you guys, because I love you for sticking by this story, despite how crappy an author I am. I love you guys seriously. Just a heads up, the next chapter I'm pretty sure is going to be the last. I have other stories in mind, and I plan on featuring EXO in them. Plus I need to finish my Sungyeol fic which I haven't touched in months OTL. Okay, I've rambled on long enough lol. Until the next chapter~