2nd Session

Sick Souls

It was Thursday, and the clock was now 2 in the afternoon. DaeSung was behind his desk, looking through different papers, when a knock was heard on the door.

 

Enter!” He said, and a rather sad looking SeungHyun stepped inside. DaeSung smiled at him and made a hand gesture for him to sit at the couch. He then himself got up from his chair and sat down in the soft chair in front of SeungHyun.

 

Tell me how you have been?” DaeSung kindly asked, and SeungHyun was already playing with the little plastic ”Snake”. It had been on the table between them and he felt so much better when he had that to stare at.

 

Uhm... Not really any different.” SeungHyun said, slowly looking up at DaeSung to see his reaction, but there was none.

 

I didn't expect you to feel any different to be honest. The medicine takes a great deal of time to work.” DaeSung answered, writing something on his little block of paper.


”Oh...” SeungHyun just said, maybe he had forgotten, or didn't listen too carefully last time...

 

I want to ask you a few things... First, how long have you felt this way?” DaeSung asked, noting his block.

 

Uhm... About half a year or maybe a year...” SeungHyun mumbled, not really happy to say that he had been sick that long without seeking help.

 

Do you have any mental illness in your family?” DaeSung asked, again writing.

 

Not that I know of...” He answered and put his attention on the plastic object again.

 

Do you sometimes... Feel things, or see things or hear things? Something you are sure is there, but when you think about it clearly, it's not?” DaeSung carefully asked, knowing some people would find him hilarious for asking those things, but SeungHyun just looked at him in shock.

 

How... How did you know that?” SeungHyun finally got to say with wide eyes. DaeSung smiled, almost apologetic.

 

Is that wrong?” SeungHyun quickly asked and looked afraid.

 

No, it's not wrong. Just... Not normal for people to experience something like that. How long have you... Hallucinated?” DaeSung asked, he had stopped writing, just to put all his focus on the scared man in front of him.

 

Uhm... I don't know... A few years?” He hesitatingly said. DaeSung nodded.

 

Of course, we need to run some more tests before we can find the exact illness, but if a person hallucinate like that, we call it Schizophrenia.” DaeSung said and SeungHyun looked at him with his mouth a bit open.

 

But... Isn't that the ones with more personalities and doing crime and such?” He carefully asked and tried to gain his composure.

 

No. Some Schizophrenic people have done crime, but people without mental illness are doing far more crime than people with. And no, if you have more personalities it's a split personality disease. It's not the same.” DaeSung said. SeungHyun nodded and got it. He felt his world tearing apart, and like it crumbled right there. He couldn't be that sick? Could he?

 

So, what do you experience when you hallucinate?” DaeSung asked, again ready with the note ready.

 

I... See animals and people... Hear weird things, like laughing and people talking to me... Sometimes I smell odd things, and my taste doesn't match to the food I eat.” SeungHyun carefully explained. He never thought it was an illness, just him being weird, and actually he thought that it was normal to experience.

 

Do you sometimes feel things like touching you?” DaeSung asked while writing all the things down on his paper.

 

Yeah... Like a hand on my shoulder, or like things... Tickling?” He explained. DaeSung nodded and got the last part down on paper.

 

So you experience some things on every sense... I know we haven't tested you all through, but I want you to have some medicine so you can start the treatment already.” DaeSung said and scribbled something down, and then made a new prescription. He handed it to SeungHyun who took it.

 

It's important that you take these pills, everyday. Very important.” DaeSung made it very clear. SeungHyun nodded and understood.

 

Can you be here next Thursday at 1pm?” DaeSung asked while he quickly browsed through his tablet.

 

Sure.” SeungHyun answered. Still slightly shocked over the news.

 

When you get here, you need to have taken a blood sample. I hope that's okay?” DaeSung asked and SeungHyun just nodded, getting up and ready to leave.

 

SeungHyun... It's not the end of the world, I am sure you'll get better and have a good future ahead of you.” DaeSung comforted, but SeungHyun only nodded. DaeSung got up as well.

 

Here.” He said while handing him some papers.

 

So you can read what it is.” DaeSung explained and SeungHyun took the papers.

 

Thank you Dae.” He said and left him. DaeSung felt slightly sad to see SeungHyun like that, even though he was with sad patients all the time. It was weird, but he affected him differently.

 

***

 

When SeungHyun got home, he quickly called JiYong, who clearly was at work. But he picked up the phone immediately.

 

I need you, and I need your couch.” SeungHyun said, sounding heartbroken, trying hard not to cry into the phone.

 

Sweetie! I will be right there. Don't go anywhere.” JiYong quickly said and hung up. SeungHyun fell down in his couch and cried. He had never felt this bad, even through the depression. It just hurt him so much.

 

Quickly after, JiYong was with him. SeungHyun hadn't locked the door, so JiYong had just entered. He quickly hugged him and let him cry over his shoulder. Only saying comfortable words and rocking him slightly.

 

It took some time for SeungHyun to finally calm down and tell JiYong what happened at the psychiatrist's office. When they had talked it through, SeungHyun felt slightly better. They packed a bag and JiYong took SeungHyun home to him, installing him on the couch with a pillow and duvet. The latter fell asleep quickly after. JiYong knew he was tired from all the crying and informations, so he felt it would be best for him to sleep a little. When SeungHyun was sleeping, JiYong began working on the story for the magazin that he had worked at earlier. That was the great thing about it his work, he didn't have to be at work to work. While he was writing on his laptop his phone vibrated on the table. He quickly picked up so he wouldn't wake up SeungHyun.

 

Hi. It's SeungRi. From the bar?” The voice said in the other end. JiYong smiled, he didn't expect that SeungRi would actually call because it had been so long since they were together.

 

Hi SeungRi.” JiYong said smiling.


“I am sorry for not calling you earlier, but I kinda washed my pants with your phone number on the napkin in the pocket, so I have sort of stalked you ever since, I mean... On different places on the web. I wanted to call you and I finally got your number.” SeungRi explained, laughing a little while telling the stupid story.

 

It's okay. I am glad you called. How are you?” JiYong asked, trying to make a little small-talk. He was flattered that the guy had tried getting in contact with him all week.

 

I am good. Do you wanna hang out some day?” SeungRi asked and JiYong's smile only got bigger.

 

Sure. I would love to.” He answered and tried hiding how happy he just got.

 

Great. I will call you soon to find out a date. I just have to work now. Sorry.” SeungRi apologized and JiYong nodded, even though SeungRi couldn't see it.

 

It's okay. I have work to do too. See you.” JiYong said and they hung up.