The Visit

Sick Souls

SeungHyun was alone, DaeSung had left earlier in the morning to go to work. He was sitting and watching TV, waiting patiently for DaeSung to get back home. It was almost time for him to arrive. He was a little late, but he had called him to tell him that. With a lazy movement, he shut the TV off, and went to the kitchen. But before he could get that glass of water he went for, the doorbell rang. He froze, not knowing whether or not to open the door. But figuring it might just be the mailman, he went to open. As he did, a guy was standing in the doorway, both of them had no idea who the other was.

 

“Uhm... Is DaeSung home?” TaeYang carefully answered, not sure if DaeSung maybe had moved, but he didn't think so. And he was surprised that another man opened the door.

 

“No. Not yet.” SeungHyun answered, looking at the guy with a raised eyebrow, slightly having an idea of who this might be.

 

“May I ask, who you are?” TaeYang asked, not really sure if he wanted to know it.

 

“A friend of DaeSung... And SeungRi.” SeungHyun answered. TaeYang nodded, looking very uncomfortable.

 

“I will just call him later.” TaeYang said, and walked away. SeungHyun looked after him, unsure if TaeYang was just a jerk, or too surprised to be polite. He went inside again, closing the door after him. After standing in the hallway for a few minutes, thinking, he went back to the kitchen and took a bottle of water from the fridge. He sat by the dinner table, and poured some water into a glass, drinking from it. After a while, not really knowing how long, but about half a bottle of water, very slowly consumed, the door opened and DaeSung was home.

 

“Hey! Sorry I am late.” DaeSung said as he went into the kitchen, taking off his scarf and coat.

 

“Your ex-boyfriend was here.” SeungHyun said, slightly teasing. DaeSung stopped and looked at him, slightly shocked.

 

“TaeYang was here?” DaeSung asked surprised. SeungHyun nodded.

 

“About... Half an hour ago or something like that.” SeungHyun answered, toying with the glass which was now empty.

 

“Uhm... What did he want?” DaeSung asked, still not getting why TaeYang had been there, when he said he didn't want to talk to him. Maybe he had changed his mind?

 

“Don't know. He didn't say.” SeungHyun answered, putting down the glass.

 

“You didn't deny it.” SeungHyun mentioned, now looking at him, with eyes that almost pierced through DaeSung's soul. He was just curious, but his eyes were very intimidating.

 

“What?... Oh... Well we weren't actually boyfriends. He wanted to be, I didn't, so we had a fight and things ended...” DaeSung said, biting his lower lip, a bit embarrassed.

 

“It's really interesting to get to know you.” SeungHyun just said, trying to be positive about the whole situation, and not make DaeSung more uncomfortable.

 

“Oh shut up...” DaeSung said, chuckling slightly and softly hit him on the shoulder. He was trying to hide his blush, and went out of the kitchen with his coat and scarf, to hang it in the hallway with the other things. For a while, he stayed out there, trying to get himself together. After a few minutes of thinking, he went back to the kitchen, which was now empty, and he then went to the living room, still not finding SeungHyun. It was a bit weird, so he could either be in his room, or in the bathroom. But the bathroom door was open when he went by, so he could only be in his room. Even though DaeSung knew that sometimes people should have some space, then it was weird, because SeungHyun had been alone the whole day, so it didn't make sense. Going to his room, he knocked on the door and entered.

 

“What's wrong?” DaeSung asked, looking at SeungHyun who was lying on the bed, arms under his head, and looking up into the ceiling. When DaeSung talked, he looked at him.

 

“Nothing, I am okay.” SeungHyun answered, sending him a tiny smile. DaeSung sat down next to him, on the bed, and looked down at him. Without thinking about it, DaeSung had put a hand on SeungHyun's chest, to support himself, not to fall down from the bed, which he was only just slightly sitting on. SeungHyun didn't mind the least.

 

“If this is about TaeYang, then don't think about it. I want to keep him as a friend, but nothing more, and it seems like he doesn't want that.” DaeSung said, trying to convince himself as much as SeungHyun.

 

“I really am okay. But I guess I got too surprised with him suddenly standing there. But I am okay.” SeungHyun said, removing his arms from behind his head, and raised himself, to lean on his elbows as support. DaeSung noticed his hand, and removed it.

 

“Okay. If you are insecure about answering the door, then you don't have to. Normally I don't have anyone who comes knocking, but yeah... I guess I would have been surprised as well.” DaeSung answered, smiling sweetly at him.

 

“Can we have take-out tonight? I am too lazy to cook.” DaeSung said with a grin and SeungHyun smiled back at him.

 

“Sure. Whatever suits you.” SeungHyun answered, making DaeSung get up from the bed. They both went to the living room, and DaeSung found the brochures from a drawer, and let them fall down on the table.

 

“I am dying for pizza, if you want something else you just pick.” DaeSung said, sitting down on the couch where SeungHyun already was, and looked through the paper-piece for a pizza-house nearby. SeungHyun just looked at DaeSung, who seemed very interested in the different dishes. Mostly because he could feel SeungHyun look at him, and he tried avoiding eye-contact. After a few minutes, DaeSung couldn't keep pretending he was choosing anymore, so he gave SeungHyun the brochure and picked up his phone, looking at a new text he had gotten.

 

TaeYang:

So that's your new boyfriend? Congrats ~

 

DaeSung looked annoyed, and just deleted the text, not wanting to be bothered by him. He knew he was pissed, and sort of had a good reason to be so, but he didn't want to make this a huge deal, so he would just ignore him.

 

When SeungHyun had made up what he wanted, even though he felt no hunger at all, they ordered, and DaeSung the TV, to see the news while waiting. SeungHyun wasn't really that interested in the news, so he was playing with DaeSung's fingers, that were close to him. DaeSung obviously didn't mind, so he just let him have his fun. They sat in silence for a while, only the TV made noises.

 

“Are you happy with your life?” SeungHyun suddenly asked and broke the silence that had been there almost half an hour. DaeSung looked at him, not changing his expression.

 

“Sure.” He just answered, still looking at SeungHyun, who nodded, and continued to look at DaeSung's fingers, which he kept playing with.

 

“So you wouldn't change a thing?” SeungHyun then asked, making DaeSung raise a brow. Wondering what had gotten into him, with these questions.

 

“I think there's always things you want to change, but I am also happy. Just because everything doesn't work out for some, it doesn't mean you can't be happy with what you got.” DaeSung said, making SeungHyun nod.

 

“So, even if you are sick, either psychically or psychologically, you would still be happy?” SeungHyun asked, still not looking away from his fingers. DaeSung sighed, mostly because he was thinking. Especially about the right thing to say.

 

“Well... I have never been either, at least not seriously. But I think, when you get better and gets over the hard parts, when the medicine works, and you are ready to live fully again, then I wouldn't see that there would be anything wrong with being happy. But for you, I think there's a great deal of time and work to go, before you get there. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the little things. But remember, that there's a lot of people who loves you, and wants the best for you. Also, I really will try my best to make it better for you. At least not make it any more difficult than it is.” DaeSung said, taking SeungHyun by the hand when he was done talking, and pulled him into a hug.

 

“I think you are a great person, even though you are battling with yourself. I really like you.” DaeSung admitted, and held him tight. SeungHyun held his arms around DaeSung's waist, and just let him embrace him, which he enjoyed. After a few seconds, DaeSung let go again, and smiled encouraging. SeungHyun kept playing the words in his head. 'I like you'... It was second best to 'I love you'.