Stop

A Coincidence (SHINee FanFic)

After your incredibly boring day of doing nothing, you ended it by sitting at the kitchen table with a tub of ice cream, flicking through a magazine. You had given up on losing weight for now. You were too tired and sad to even try. You made a mental promise to yourself to put some effort into exercising when Hara next asked you.

The door opened and you sat up straight. Jason chucked his bag on the sofa along with his phone, and took the letters that were on the doorstep over to you.

"How was school?" You asked, your mouth full of delicious ice cream.

He made a small noise and went to his room without looking at you. You rolled your eyes and sighed. Typical teenager, you thought, remembering how you used to behave when you were his age. You put down your spoon and picked up the letters. The first one looked like a bill, so you immediately decided to open that one last. The next looked very fancy, the address written in swirly, curly writing. You opened it carefully, trying not to rip the envelope. It read in printed text:

Kim Junmyeon and Kim Sodam invite Jonghyun, Onew, Key, Minho, Taemin, (y/n), and Jason to their wedding on the 22nd December at 12.00pm.

There was something scrawled at the bottom of the invitation:

I really hope all of you can make it! If you have too busy of a schedule, I can understand that you will be unable to attend. Hope to see you soon!!! :)

You grinned at the letter, you were so happy for her!!! She must be so excited! You would drop by their apartment next week to check up on her. It felt like you hadn't spoken to her for ages. You wondered whether the others would be able to go. Wouldn't they still be on tour? Or would they take a few days off? Surely at least Jonghyun would, since it's his sister. She knew that they were on a world tour, right?

The buzzing that came from Jason's phone startled you. You ignored it, and went back to reading your magazine. It kept on buzzing, and it was becoming difficult to concentrate.

"Yah! Jason! Your phone keeps buzzing!" You yelled, but got no response in return. "If you don't get it, I will!" You threatened, positive that he would instantly come out to fetch it.

You were surprised when he didn't even respond.. You hadn't initially intended to actually go through with reading his texts, but you were so curious. And it buzzed again! What!? Was he really that popular in his new school??! You slowly walked up to his phone, and watched the screen flash every now and again.

Aishh...

You grabbed his phone quickly, looking around to see if Jason saw you or not. You unlocked his phone, and laughed when his password was his birthday. If he really didn't want anyone getting into his phone, he would have at least tried to have a better password.

You tapped on the messages icon, and saw that he had 14 new texts. You read through them shocked and upset, covering your mouth with your hand. You half wished you hadn't read them. They were a series of hurtful texts like 'go back to where you came from', 'no one likes you', 'why do you even come to school when we know you're too poor to pay for it and too stupid to stay in it',  and the one that made you feel internally sick, 'just kill yourself already'.

The phone slipped out of your hand and the screen smashed as it hit the floor. You ran to Jason's door and knocked repeatedly, while shouting. You tried the door handle, but it was locked. You started crying and screeching at the door, which wasn't budging. You slammed up against the door, over and over again, even though you knew you weren't strong enough.

You heard the lock click oven and you almost collapsed in relief. You opened the door and Jason was sat on the floor in the corner of the room, head in his knees. You rushed over and gave him a big hug before yelling at him.

"WHAT THE FRICK WERE YOU DOING LOCKING THE DOOR?!?!?!" You half cried, smacking his arm.

"I'm sorry," He said, his voice muffled.

"Aishhh.. Just don't do it again! You scared the hell out of me," You sighed, rubbing your forehead. "So are you going to tell me what all this is about?" You asked, sitting next to him.

"I guess," He mumbled, finally looking at you. His left eye was bruised a dark purple blue colour.

"You should tell me if someone's bullying or harassing you," You frowned.

"I wouldn't call it bullying.."

"Well, what is it then!??!!"

"Just a few lads having 'fun'"

"FUN!?!??!!? This isn't fun for you!!!" You yelled.

"Yeah.. Guess not," He scoffed.

"I have to call the school up and tell them about this.. Make my life easier and tell me who did it," You told him.

"No...you can't- you can't do that," He shook his head violently.

"Why not?"

"I do like the school, and I don't know half the things they even say to me sometimes, so they don't really bother me that much.. I don't want to make any enemies there," He confessed.

"But I'm sure you can understand a punch to the face!" You said, gesturing to his eye.

"It's fine - really," He insisted.

You got up and started to leave his room. You had already decided to ring the school, even though your stubborn brother wouldn't tell you exactly who did it. Just as you were shutting the door, Jason gave you a hug.

"I miss mum and dad," He whispered.

"I know... I do too sometimes.." You said.

He was quietly sobbing into your jumper, but you didn't care. Your parents hadn't spoken a word to you for, how long now.. almost eight months? And they told you nothing about kicking Jason out, it was Abbey who told you. It pained you to think of how awful he must actually feel. Rejected by your parents, living in a foreign country without knowing that much of the language, stuck in the house alone while you and the others had rehearsals. You felt like a bad older sister. You gave him a tight squeeze, and he let go of you, going back to pretending like everything was okay.

"Don't ever think of doing something stupid, okay?" You said nervously.

"Never," He sniffled.

You went outside for a second to phone the school about all this nonsense. You felt a bit stupid telling them that he was being bullied without actually knowing who was doing it. They would have thought that you were lying if you didn't have the texts to prove it. And his black eye of course. You organised a meeting with the headmistress after school tomorrow. You felt better after making the appointment, and the fresh air helped cool you down. It will be okay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, your phone rang while you were in the middle of your vocal lesson, you must have forgotten to put it on silence. You sighed, as you knew the routine. Whenever anyone's phone rang in the lesson, this teacher would make you answer it and put it on speaker. He nodded towards your phone, as if daring you to pick it up. You subtlety rolled your eyes, and answered the call, putting it on speaker as ordered.

"Annyeonghaseyo," You sighed.

"Is this Jason's mother?" A woman asked.

"..Yes.... What's wrong? Who is this?" You lied, knowing that they might hang up if you said you were only his sister. Plus, what good was your mother going to do? Your vocal instructor gasped and frowned at you. Ah.. yes, you did just say you were a mother... Oops...

"I'm Seoyeon, the headmistress of Yongsan High School. Could you come to the school immediately please? We need to talk about Jason," She continued.

"Of course," You replied instantly.

The call ended, and you glanced up at your teacher, who gave you a cold glare, worthy of Lee Sooman.

"Umm...may I leave...uh..please, it's..important.." You asked nervously.

"Go.. take care of your son," He replied snarkily.

You frowned, shocked by his disrespectful tone. You over-exaggerated your bow as you left the room quickly. What had Jason gotten himself into now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You arrived as soon as you could, heading straight to Seoyeon's office. You didn't even bother to knock, and you just barged in. Someone was already in there, but you didn't care.

"What happened to my brot- uh- Jason?" You quickly corrected yourself.

"He's fine, he's in the nurse's room," One of the women, who you assumed was Seoyeon, explained.

"What happened to him?" You repeated your initial question.

"He got into another fight. His stitches broke, so the nurse is re-stitching them for you,"

"Who was he fighting with?" You asked.

"My son," The other woman said.

"This is Mrs Heung," Seoyeon introduced the two of you.

"Nice to meet you," You said politely.

"I thought Jason's mother would be attending this meeting, not some..."

"Some what?!" You asked.

"Some child," She finished.

"I'm not some child," You scoffed.

"But your not his mother.. unless you're one of those girls... I can tell you're not from South Korea, are you? Let me guess..America, is it?" She smirked.

"I'm his older sister," You said through gritted teeth, clenching your fists slightly. Aish, she was meant to be the adult here.

"So.. Mrs Heung, could you talk to your son about his behaviour please, and make sure that he stops this bullying. Of course, he will also be receiving multiple detentions, and maybe a suspension.. I haven't made up my mind on that yet," Seoyeon told her.

"I will talk to my son, but I reassure you that this is only a phase. He's been trying really hard at school, and I'm sure he's just a little stressed at the moment. He didn't mean to do anything, it was just an accident," Mrs Heung smiled calmly. You laughed when she said this, but restrained yourself from doing anything more.

"I expect him to make a full apology to Jason," Seoyeon instructed.

"Of course," Mrs Heung agreed.

"Your brother is probably waiting outside for you, the nurse was almost done when you came in. And your son will still be in class.. according to his timetable he has maths now," Seoyeon dismissed the two of you. You and Mrs Heung parted ways, her going down the corridor to the classrooms, and you out to the yard.

Sure enough, Jason was there, but he was on the floor, surrounded by three others.

You ran towards them, punching the closest guy to you, hard. He grunted and swung back. You ducked the first punch, but the second hit you square in the nose. You felt a familiar click, and winced as you stumbled, using your hands to stop you from falling over. You saw two feet stepping towards you and you looked up at your attacker.

"You?" He said.

"YOU?!!?" You replied.

"Come on Kwangyeon! Finish her off! Me and Jungkook have this prick pinned down!"

"What changed you, Kwangyeon? You were so kind to me when we played basketball all those months ago," You said.

"A lot can happen in a few months.. What is he to you anyway?" Kwangyeon gestures towards Jason.

"My brother," You said.

"Pity... About your nose, I mean.. You looked so much prettier when it was straight," He pouted, leaning right in close to your face.

"Still prettier than you," You growled, and you spat in his face. He stepped backwards, disgusted by your actions. At least you had time to get off the floor and kick Jungkook and the other guy off of Jason. You helped Jason up.

"What are you two doing? Ravi, Jungkook, keep them down," Kwangyeon yelled. His two friends made their way towards you, and Jungkook reached you first, knocking you down with ease, just with one punch. You braced yourself for the worse, but you saw Jason slam Jungkook off you. Ravi ran off when he saw Jason on top of Jungkook, punching him repeatedly. Even Kwangyeon fled, following Ravi. You walked calmly over to Jason, and rubbed his back.

"That's enough," You whispered.

"NO. IT'S. NOT," Jason shouted.

"Come on, let's go home," You tugged on his arm a bit. He ignored you and kept punching.

"STOP!" You yelled at him. Jason looked at you, and burst into tears. Jungkook took the opportunity to run. You walked home with Jason, and he went straight to bed. You checked your nose out in the mirror, and Kwangyeon really had done a number on it. It looked broken. You knew the feeling. You cleaned up the blood that had dried around it, and saw the bruise. It wasn't too bad.

You sighed as you picked up your phone, and called Jonghyun. You had no idea which country they were in, or what time it was where they were. You just needed to hear his voice again.

"Annyeonghaseyo?"

"Jonghyun oppa!!!" You grinned, glad that you got through.

"(y/n)!!!" He yelled.

"How's the tour?!" You asked.

"It's going well! We're in Japan at the moment, we've got another concert tomorrow afternoon before we head over to the Philippines in the evening,"

"And how are the others?" You asked.

"Just a sec.." He said.

"(y/n)!!!! We're doing well!!" You heard Taemin and Key shouting. You giggled and said hi to them.

"So, how are you?" Jonghyun asked, and you could tell he had taken it off speaker.

"Ahhh... honestly?"

"Honestly,"

"Not great..." You sniffed.

"Are you crying? What's wrong??" He asked, worried.

"I wish you had been here for the past couple of days! It's been really difficult without you! Without all of you... I miss you so much, and I'm- I don't even know what I'm saying..." You trailed off, trying to conceal your tears.

"Shhh, it'll be okay.." He whispered.

"Promise?"

"Promise..."

"Do you know when you're coming home yet?" You asked, hopeful that it would be soon.

"Not yet (y/n).."

"You're coming back for your sister's wedding though, right? And for Christmas too," You said.

"Ahh, I don't know... it would be really difficult to take a few days off.."

"I see," You replied blankly.

"But, I'll make it up to you when I get back! Just wait, remember?"

"Of course oppa," You said, smiling sadly to yourself.

"Don't feel too sad without us!"

"I won't. Have fun!" You said brightly.

"You too!!" Jonghyun replied, before hanging up. You held your phone closer to your chest, hoping somehow, that it would bring you closer to them in some sort of way. You knew it was a silly thing to do, but you did it anyway. You fell asleep like that, hoping and wishing for them to be with you soon.