Two

Reality

I ran downstairs and sat across dad’s seat at the kitchen. “Good morning!” he greeted and kissed my temple. I smiled and replied to him. “Our menu for breakfast is fish and chips.” Isn’t that for dinner?

                He giggled, “We should breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. You need your energy for today.” He served the full plate. Actually, I wouldn’t mind with this. Suddenly, I heard the doorbell ringing. “I’ll check that. You, eat.”

                “Good morning Mr. Jung!” I know that voice. I turned around to see Jaehwa with her energetic morning face lightly run towards me. I giggled and thought to myself that I have such breakfast. “Join us for breakfast?”

                She nods, “Well, that’s my main objective!” she clapped her hands together. Oh m, she’s so sharp when answering to people. Dad hands her a plate full of food. “Dad, aren’t you gonna eat?” I looked at him curiously. “I made extra, don’t worry.”

He sat in front of us with a chair empty next to him. We begin to eat as a family. Jaehwa has been with me since elementary. Since then, we always do things together. “Jaehwa, how’s your little brother doing? Is he okay?”

“Well, ADHD is not a bad thing either to him since I’m quite active too. It’s just sometimes my parents would worry whenever he’s at school. Being too hyperactive might disturb the other kids in his class.” Dad and I nod casually. “Wait, I thought your brother is home school?” I asked out of the blue.

She nods, “He is. He received the authorization letter from the education ministry last week. And he still in bed right now.” She blew her bangs. We all giggled. 10 minutes later, all the dishes were cleaned and placed in the dishwasher. “I’ll grab my suitcase. Can you ignite the engine?” dad raised his eyebrow.

I made myself looked disapproval, “Of course.” I took the key and went to the garage with Jaehwa. “YAH! You seriously can? We’re still underage, you know.” I told her that ignite the car engine won’t get us a ticket unless we’re driving it ourselves.

We sat at the back seat, “Seatbelts on, please.” Dad warned as he sat on the driver seat. He drove across the neighbourhood and Jaehwa usually went to school together with me since her parents always went to work early.

I connect the car’s Bluetooth with my phone and played Boys and Girls by Zico ft. Babylon. “This is like his latest song for now.” Jaehwa giggled when she saw dad’s confused looks. “Don’t you guys listen to normal songs?”

“How can you define normal dad?” I asked him as he turned to the left. “Well, in my opinion songs like ballad or r&b. This song is like ...” he went speechless. “Fun!” we both screamed. “Dad, you can’t expect us to listen to Kwill, IU or whatever slow sad songs not in the morning for sure. We have a long day to face.” He sighed and I can say he agreed maybe a tinge.

Dad could only smile at our antics as we kept doing our mini clubbing session. He warned us few times not to ‘dance’ overly as it might difficult him to drive. “Do you want me pick you up later, after school?” dad turned and looked at me as he stopped merely in front of the school gate. “I’ll text you.” I leaned forward and kissed his cheek and get a great smooch on my cheeks from him.

“Thank you, Mr. Jung!” Jaehwa walked out and followed by me. I waved to him goodbye and enter the school compound with ecstatic feeling together with Jaehwa. Our locker located separately and hers are much neared to our class. Dang it, why?!

“I’ll see you in class.” I waved her as I walked to my locker on the first floor. I opened my locker door and took a short glance at my parent’s old picture before I took my physics and maths books. I locked back my locker and walk to my class.

As I spotted Jaehwa at her seat, I heard a voice behind me, “Miss Jung, aren’t you gonna entering the class?” I turned around and quickly bowed to Mrs Nam. I sat next to Jaehwa start our first hour with self study period. School’s new program really making me screwed the exam.

                We continue our subjects of liberal art until recess’ bell rang. I packed my stuff and turned to Jaehwa, “Hungry?” she nodded tremendously. We walked down the stairs and head to the school’s cafeteria. I had my usual chicken sandwich with potato on the side. “Can I have milk as my drink instead of water?” the cafeteria lady smiled and handed me the milk carton.

I paid for my food and waited for Jaehwa to have her food. She walked next to me with our foods on tray. “Do you wanna come over after school?” Jaehwa asked. I nodded, “We could study some English literature and ... woah!” I nearly slipped on the slippery floor and I heard a piercing screaming in front of me.

“Can’t you walk properly?! Do you even have eyes?” Oh damn, it’s Ahn Minhyo. I looked closely and my potato salad safely landed on her chest and marked a beautiful pattern on her uniform.

I couldn’t looked directly in her eyes, “What? You wanna throw some to her?!” Jaehwa dared her. I could hear few people chant and some yelled ‘fight’. She’s too dramatic to get people’s attention.

“You don’t have to act brave, you ! You think I’m scared at you?” she smirked and walked closer to me. “Well, you’re just a stupid one to think that you could actually change your clothes and accept ...”

“Yah! Let her be.” I heard a manly voice beside me. I slowly looked to my right and it was Jooheon from my class. “But, she stained my uniform.”

“It’s the potato salad not her. So, what? Go and change, Minhyo!” she stomped her feet and bumped my shoulder hard. I thanked Jooheon, “I’ll buy you another salad, don’t worry.” He winked and left me and Jaehwa and awed.

What was that? “Yah, is he being ert, nice or charming?” I asked. Jaehwa mentioned neither. We walked outside and sat at the picnic bench and set our food on the table. “She’s totally killing my moods and making my nerves to boil.” Jaehwa gritted.

“Hey, it’s my mistake not yours. Let it be.” As we enjoyed our recess, I felt a comfortable presence of nature to have lunch here. “May I?” I looked to my left; it was Jooheon with his food tray. I shook my head and he sat next to me.

“This is yours.” He handed to me a new potato salad in a cup. “You shouldn’t. I cause much trouble to you, Jooheon-ah.” He smiled and he said that he’s just buying it for me have it as a gift. He’s such weird dork.

We continue our lunch until our feet brought us back to our room. I sat back to my seat and waited few minutes until Physics coming. I flipped through few pages of the text books and seriously, physics sometime messing my mind with all the formulas and calculations.

“Have your seats, ladies and gentlemen. We’ll have a physics mini test today and I hope you prepared.” WHAT?! Jaehwa looked at me in such pale face, “I didn’t expect this.” Me neither.

Mr. James distributed the papers and we begin right after. The first 20 questions were fine, until the last 5 weird questions.

“Why is it hard to drive a nail into a piece of wood with a hammer, but it is not possible to push the nail in my hand?” I mumbled. You got a hammer and just knock it. Be patient! This must have to do with kinetic energy and force. I wrote my answer in the blank space and proceed.

“Time’s up! I’ll collect your papers now.” Mr. James isn’t playing around. He just grabbed those papers. Well, maybe it’s the time of the month for him. I hand mine to him and the class bowed to him as he exited.

“I think I’m screwed.” Jaehwa blew her bangs. I smiled assuredly, “Well, we could study together then.” I hugged her. Last subject occupied the last hour and I felt so exhausted for today. I could hear Jaehwa sighed when she packed her stuff.

“Well, let’s get home and calm ourselves in bubble bath. Individually.” I pulled my bag strap to my shoulder and walked outside. “Where are they going?” I pointed to a group of boys in front of our school with their luggage in the bus trunk.

“They have camp ... I think?” Jaehwa answered me coherently while scratching her head. I pulled out my phone and text dad that I’ll walk home with Jaehwa. Right after I pressed the send button, I fell with a loud thump on the ground. “Oh .” I heard his mumbled from my back.

I looked at him picking his dropped phone and ran towards the bus. “Jezz, what’s so hard to say sorry.” I mumbled as Jaehwa helped me back on my feet.

“Let’s get home!” Jaehwa smiled happily. I took my phone and placed on my skirt pocket. We walked together until I realised dad didn’t replied my text. “I wonder why he didn’t reply my text yet.”

“You know that your dad busy. He might be in his whatever meeting.” Jaehwa acknowledged. I pulled my phone and checked the time. “This isn’t ... mine.” I checked the phone cover twice.

“I didn’t know you have dog.” Jaehwa peeked over the screen. Oh damn, this is that guy’s phone. “He have mine!” I halted our steps.