One

Reality

“Aww, come on dad! You have to try this!” I offered my blackcurrant ice-cream. He shook his head and tried to walk away from me. I fasten my pace and held his hand. “Please?” for some reason, most people might find us look like a young woman married a mid-forties man.

He’s my dad, though.

“We just had our breakfast, Hailey!” dad slightly raised his voice. I smiled, “Please?” for the second time. He sighed and ate it. I lightly laughed and said ice-cream won’t be bad for breakfast.

“Kids nowadays love to eat weird stuff. No wonder they’re weird. You’re also weird” He kept his glare to me. I giggled in excitement. We then walked back to his car and I took the passenger seat at the back. “Hailey, I just remembered something. Do you remember Park & Co?  The stone company I told you about? They announced bankrupt 2 days ago.”

I went to a shock,” Really? Wow. I thought they’re stable company.” He said that the company’s debt is way too high for the company itself to pay. Dad begins to drove back home and turns on the radio. “I almost forget. I’ll be busy these upcoming few days. There a major project that my company and I have to handle. So, I probably won’t be home.”

I softly sighed as a cue, typical busy dad and his work play land. He made a quick turn to the left and stopped in front of a convenient store. “I need to buy painkillers. You need anything?” I shook my head as no.

I stared outside.

They sky begun to darken and heavy will fall soon. I prayed that rain will give me luck. I still remember the day I asked my dad about mom; I think I was two-years-old back then. Dad told me that she left him and me without any reason.

It was so sudden and I could barely remember my name. Dad said that she left me a letter that I could read it when I’m 17 which is in 7 more months. She also left me with her wedding ring and wedding dress. A quick note on that, she mentioned in a small note that her wedding ring will protect me from any harm. “Hailey ...” I startled from a sudden knock on my window.

I unlocked the door and dad sat on his driver seat back.

“Dad ...” he looked at me by the back mirror. He half smiled, “If it’s about mom, I’m too tired to repeat the same thing.” He sighed and halted the car as the traffic turned red.

I told him that it’s not even logic that she left both of us without any reasons, like, why? I need to know. It’s just, I’m too curious. “I wanna know too, what happen although it’s almost 15 years the incident passed.”

We then kept quiet and enjoy the soft soothing music from the radio. Dad parked the car under our house porch. I walked out after dad.

“Sorry, if it makes you uncomfortable.” I mumbled. He gave me a fatherly hug and reassured me that it’s okay. No matter what happen, he has me by his side.

I walked in after him and went to my room. I lay on my bed and feeling tired as ever. Having your father as your shopping buddy after breakfast is totally tiresome. I rolled to my right side and my eyelids begin to drop slowly, “Hana! Take your shower before you sleep!” this is my dad.

I stood on my feet, slowly and grabbed by towel and essentials before I head for my shower. The cold shower beads release my body tension, “... in your eyes, nose, lips, and the way she used to touch my skin ...” I heard my phone rang. Dang!

I quickly washed off the shampoo off my hair and came out with my top and shorts. “Jaehwa?” I asked myself. It’s pretty odd for her to call me in this hour. Wasn’t she in her piano class? I dialled her number and listened to the ring on my phone.

Hailey: What’s up?

Jaehwa: You didn’t picked up your phone, are you busy?

Hailey: Nope. Why?

Jaehwa: I need your big help. My brother can’t pick me up at the moment. He was called by his university. His lecturer made a sudden class. Do you mind to pick me up?

Hailey: I don’t mind. Where are you? Yamaha Studio?

Jaehwa: Yup, as usual.

Hana: I’ll be right there in 15 minutes.

Jaehwa: Thanks.

I ran downstairs and saw dad with his glasses on his laptop. Probably busy with his company works. “Dad,” I poked his arm. He answered me with his signature nod, “Jaehwa asked my favour to pick her up at the Yamaha Studios. May I? Wait, I just said to her that I’ll pick her up.”

He giggled, “Young lady, you really need to know what is permission was invented for.” He looked at me and lowered his glass. I kissed his cheek and thanked for the ‘forced’ permissions. “And, don’t go out wearing that.” He yelled.

I changed to my black muscle tee, black skinny jeans and dark grey boots. I literally looked like somebody that came back from funeral service. I wear my black hoodie, “Take care. Look to the left and right for cars, don’t cross when the light is green and ...” I stopped him. He gave his car keys, “No thanks, dad. I need to learn on those public transportations for survival.”

“ ... And I’ll give you a call if I need anything.” I hugged him before walked out from house. He waved at me before he closed the house door. I walked down the street of double storey houses on my both sides.

My pace came to a sudden stop when I saw a cotton candy stall. I went and bought blueberry flavour. I quickened my pace as I heard the thunder rumbling above me. I could felt a few rain drops’ on me, “Hailey!” I saw a girl waved at me. It was Jaehwa.

“Sorry if I’m causing trouble.” Jaehwa hand me ice-cream of vanilla flavour. I shook my head as no, “Looks like a heavy rain will come.” The fairly wind blew as we walked pass the Yamaha studio down the main street. “Have I told you about this one guy in my class?”

I looked at her with an eyebrow raised, “Uuu~ who is this lucky boy?” I wriggled my eyebrows as Jaehwa giggled and she told me about him. Jungkook is his name and he’s talented in piano and making girls’ swoon with his voice. “And, he even sometimes treat us food.” I can see that Jaehwa is totally head over heels with this boy.

We passed a block and stopped in front of a book café called Heart. We sat next to the glass wall with busy street view. A waiter came and took our regular orders. “So, how’s your move?” I asked.

“What move? You mean to Jungkook?” I smirked to her acknowledgement. “Girl, if I was born a great summer body and model-like facial; he would definitely be with us like right now.”

I laughed my off, “He seriously chase for those girls?”

“I don’t … I mean not sure. Well, he only goes for those types of girls in class. I’m like those creepin’ at the back of class and only imagine things that never happen in my real life.” By then, waiter came with our orders.

Rain pours heavily outside and it covers our own soundtrack of munching. I received dad’s sudden text that he want me be home before 8. “Trust me; it’s hard to have strict parents.” I glared at Jaehwa. “Time will comes to those who patience and truly enjoy life.”

“What are you? Mahatma Gandhi? What have you done to my Jaehwa?!” I joked. “How about you?” She looked at me directly. I questioned her back in silence. “I mean, who’s your current crush?”

I tapped my fingers on the table, “Let say, Choi Seung Hyun of Big Bang? He’s like … OMG! I’m speechless.” Jaehwa face palmed herself and I giggled lightly to her reaction.

“Hello~ I mean some guy that you can meet and date publicly.”

I munched and swallowed slowly, “I would say none.” Both Jaehwa’s eyes went huge like golf balls, “Don’t tell me that …”

I choked myself, “I’m not a lesbian.” I whispered the last word. “It’s just that, studies really occupies most of my time.”

“Nerd.” She smirked and we both continue to eat.

We gulped the last sip of our drinks before paid off to the counter. “Let’s take a cab. I’m unwilling scolded by dad because of this soft guitar case.”

We halt a cab and gave our address. Well, Jaehwa’s house is 3 houses before mine, so it’s not a big deal. “Are you girls’ tourists?” the cabbie driver asked. Jaehwa smiled and said yes. I held my laugh back before I burst his eardrum. “We stayed with a friend of mine that lived here.” The cabbie driver smiled.

He made the right turn and stopped in front of Jaehwa’s house, “Kamsahamnida, ahjusshi.” We bowed after we paid and walked out from the cab. He straight ahead drove and vanished through the evening breeze.

“Well, I guess I see you tomorrow then?” Jaehwa hugged me and ran to her house door. I waved her goodbye and walked back home. I rang the house bell and yelled, “Johnny’s Pizza!” in the deepest-manliest voice that I could. “You’ve got the wrong house!” dad yelled back.

“DAD!” I yelled back. He unlocked the door, “I thought you brought the house keys together with you.” I seriously heard him saying in two versions in a normal statement or he’s asking. “I knew you would open the door for me.”

Dad shook his head towards me and asked me to change clothes and prepare to call the night. “Dad, I’m seventeen and I don’t sleep before 10pm.” I blew my bangs and looked at him and looking surprise to his words.

“And I don’t want you to be late for school tomorrow because you hate Mondays.” He winked. Okay … I mentally surrender and he’s right. I dragged my feet upstairs and stood at my balcony and looking to the stars.

Hey stars, do you think I will ever get a boyfriend? In few seconds, shooting star came across in front of me. I closed my eyes and wished for something better.