Nine

Reality

“Good morning, Hailey!” Jooheon greeted me as he stopped by my locker. I smiled at him as he asked if I had my breakfast yet. I flashed him my sandwich, “You’ve ate?” he pouted.

“No, you silly. I haven’t.” I lock my locker and head to the cafeteria with Jooheon. He sat in front of me after order his typical favourite of kimchi fired rice with few side dishes. “How’s your stay with your aunt?” he broke the ice.

I shrugged, “Fine, I guess. It’s just a few days right now.” He giggled and continued his meal. “Yah, you didn’t tell me you’re dating here!” I turned around to the weird compliment. “You’re forever welcome to be the third wheel, Jaehwa.”

After 20 minutes, we entered the classroom and sat at our respective seats with Jaehwa next to me adjusting her bag on the handle. “I heard there is a new student will join us.” I accidently eavesdrop to the girls in front of me.

“Really? Is it a boy or girl?”

“I don’t know. I just passed the hallway”

“I heard it was a girl and she’s really pretty.” Said the third girl who suddenly joins in. Right after cue, the teacher entered the class with the new student except there are 2 students with her. After greeting the teacher everyone’s eyes pierce at the both of them.

As the teacher adjusting her file on the teacher’s desk, I noticed the male student is somehow familiar. “Today, you’ll be having 2 new friends. Hyeyoung?” she looked at the girl.

She bowed and offered us a happy smile. Her brown hazel hair falls perfectly over her shoulder although she tied in a ponytail. “Hello! I’m Hyeyoung and I’m from Yongin. I hope we could be friends.” Then, Jaehwa lightly tapped my hand.

“We could be her friends!” Jaehwa whispered and sounds happy, too happy. “Hyeyoung here will continue the rest of her high school with us. She’s transferred here due to her parents’ work. You can sit there.” The teacher points at the empty seat in front of me.

She walks and smiled at me before she sat. “And this is Lee Won. I’m sure you all know him.” Well, I don’t. He’s a geeky guy with slightly thick black framed glasses. “Some of you looked confuse.” The teacher suddenly took a glance at every each of us.

“I’m Lee Won from the school’s soccer team. I assume my glasses made some of you couldn’t recognize me with it.” Nice, I get to ask about Brian now. The teacher pointed his seat which is 3 on my left on the back row.

“Lee Won, I believe from 4A1, right? He’s here with us in 4A2 because he requested to catch up whatever he left during his one week and half at Russia.” Wow, a first class kid joins us. “If you guys have anything to ask about them, ask them later, alright? We’ll get back to our reality now.” Everyone grunted at the teacher.

She wrote algebra questions as our class assessment. It was a 20 worth of questions. Oh my god! I’m glad numbers are my best friend. “If you’re done, submit to me for grading. And feel free to move.

And when I say move, I still expect a controlled environment not a rock concert in my class.” The teacher warned.  From the linear equations to factoring, it was all mixed. “Can you teach me this? I’m not that familiar with this type of question.” I look up and it was Hyeyoung.

“Turned the chair and face us properly. You might have a back pain if you keep in that position.” Jaehwa told her. She looked concern, “Don’t worry, the teacher won’t mind.” I assured her.

I explained at her slowly about the midpoints. “It’s all equal distance and you can find the coordinate easily after you calculate point C.” I guided her one by one. She made it and precedes the next question.

 “I’m Jaehwa, by the way.” She smiled and slightly bowed. “And I’m Hailey but people always call me with silent H.” I slightly bowed to her. “Are you mixed?” she blurted to me. I shook my head, “My dad studied at Canada and he told me that he like that name.”

She nods. “What makes you come here? Well, we rarely have new students with us.” I asked in curiosity. She told us that her parents were changed to one of the universities in Seoul. Since this is her new high school, she hopes she will stay until the end.

We continued to a few random topics until the teacher called me over, “Hailey, I have a favour to ask.”

I nod.”The school actually impressed with your examinations score especially with maths. You ranked 1% among the nation. That really made us proud.” This will be long.

“I’ll just be straight forward, okay. You’re chosen to the school’s program of 1-to-1 in academic subjects. You’ll be tutoring a student after school. Is that okay? I need your approval before we proceed.” The teacher continued.

I softly sighed and nibbled my fingers, “I’m happy to have myself chosen for the program but I’m concern to accept it. Well, I just move in with my aunt and I’m still adjusting with it.” She smiled and held my hand.

“Its okay, Hailey. You don’t have to worry. The program will be on next week but the tutor actually will decide the first class with the student.” She explained a little.

“Do I get to know who my student is?”

“I’ll tell you as I get the student’s name.” I thanked her and went back to my place. I sipped the cold water from my water bottle and lay my head on the table. I drifted fallen asleep as I calm myself until recess bell rang.

The whole day had been a slow pace for me. I don’t know why, it’s just slow and making me even tired than ever. My feet eventually dragged me to the police station. I entered and saw the officer who handles dad’s case.

“Hailey, good evening. How may I help you?” he asked. I asked him about dad. He mentioned that his court trials will be held soon but there is no definite date yet, so they couldn’t precede anything.

I blew my bangs and my plopped myself heavily on the chair in front of him. He told me that he’ll contact me if he receives anything regard his case. I left the police station in despair.

I checked Brian’s phone for the weather forecast since its kinda chilly outside. Well, what a surprise! It’s a 19 degree Celsius and I’m not wearing any jacket. Suddenly, his phone vibrated and it’s my number.

“Hey princess!” And what’s him calling me princess?!  “Hi Brian” I try to sound as flat as possible. “Where are you?” he sounds curious. “I’m ... on my way home. Why?”

He giggled, “What about our phone?” I asked.

“Brian! Have you taken your medicine?” I heard a faint yell from his background. He sighed, “One quick moment.” He probably walked out his room because I still could hear the sound of footsteps.

“I have, mom. Few minutes ago and I need some privacy, alright?” he told his mom. “Why?” the same voice called him asked him back; probably his mom. “He’s probably with his girlfriend.” Another faint voice was heard but this time is a boy.

“Shut up, Benjamin!” Brian diss.

Few seconds after, I heard a pant, “Hailey ... you still there?”

“Girlfriend, huh?” I sounded sarcasm then laughed to his silence. “I’m still here, Brian. Who’s Benjamin by the way?” my intuition was right. He told me that Benny is his little brother.

Brian suddenly apologises to me and made me stop my track. “Why? You didn’t did anything wrong, I presume.” I tried to convince him. He lowly sighs, “I was supposed to meet you today at school but I’m on leave due to fever.”

“Hey, if you did come to school today, I think I couldn’t make it too. I need to show the school compound to my new classmate. And I don’t blame your fever.”

I could sense he’s smiling, Well, I guess, I’ll meet you soon.”

“Yeah, I hope we could meet each other soon. Hey, I gotta go now. I’ll talk to you later.” He bid me goodbye then I pressed the end call. I’m finally in front of aunt’s house. I sighed for the umpteenth time today before I entered.

“Aunt, I’m home!” I entered as I closed the door behind me. I walked to the living room and I heard a loud clank from the inside. “You !”


Write me your comments/critics below. Thank you for subsribing :)