Four

Reality

I begin my weekend morning with my usual ritual; jogging around the neighbourhood. “Look out for cars, don’t receive or talk to strangers and be safe.” Dad kissed my cheeks. I know he would say these for multiple of times.

I tied my hair into high bun and did some mini stretching and played my workout playlist in my iPod. I straighten my green training shirt with my black cycling tights. For all the while I didn’t think of anything “Good morning Hailey!” Mrs. Min greeted as she watering her plants.

“Good morning and that’s a great orchid.” I praised. I pace faster and I covered double miles than usual. My feet always brought me to unexpected places just like the other day. I found a park somehow gave me chills when I stood near the cliff.

I sighed lowly and keep my breathe in line with my speed. “Oh, hey there, Jooheon!” I pulled my right earphone and walked slowly towards him.

“Hailey, good morning. I see you already made national records.” He eyed my wet training shirt. I giggled, “Well, I see you haven’t.” I teased.

He followed my steps and ran together next to me. “How many rounds have you succeed?” he asked. I showed him 3 fingers and he went into absolute shock. “Yah! Hailey-ah!” he snickered.

“Come on! Let’s go to fitness park.” I literally face palmed myself. He dragged me along and we literally did some fitness workout. “50 jumping jacks?” he raised his eyebrow. We stood on our position, facing each other.

“Ready ... go!” I counted.

We jumped and Jooheon like literally teasing by making funny faces including his kku kku kka kka aegyo. “You think I can lose to you?” I partially yelled to him after I ended 50th jump. He laughed. “Hey, I’m just gonna do my cardio here ...”

“And I’ll just cooling down myself.” I cut him. He went to each weird station and does his ‘fitness’ thing. After 15 minutes of cooling down, I sat down on the bench nearby and waited for Jooheon. “Yah! Have you breakfast?” he asked and walked over to my direction.

He shook his head “Wanna eat?”

We both then walked down the pedestrian walk and entered the Coffee Bay for breakfast. I chose to seat near the window. “Do you guys have anything to order?” the male waiter came and asked.

I tapped my chin, “I’ll have the French toast, 1 hard boil egg and hot chocolate.” I think that just covered my meal for the half of the day. I text dad that I’m having my breakfast with Jooheon and I’m using temporary number, “Do have breakfast burrito?” I heard Jooheon’s menu.

I looked at him because he’s not the type to eat those in the morning, “We do. Anything else?” my gaze adverted back to Jooheon, “Umm ... Americano would do. That’s all.” The waiter left.

“Hailey-ah, won’t your dad get angry?” Jooheon suddenly asked. I questioned him why, “Well, aren’t your dad is the type doesn’t love outside food for breakfast?” I softly giggled.

“He normally is but it’s an exception today.” He looked at me in thoughtful manner. “Well, since my breakfast buddy is Jooheon, he let me. Sometimes Jaehwa would come over to my house and have breakfast together. You should come, sometimes.”

He laughed, “Yah, your father really said that?”

I nodded, “He trusts Jaehwa and you, and well he only met the both of you. So, I guess that is.” Drinks were served and I took a sip and looked outside. “Today’s weather seems nice.” I mumbled and winked at a baby in a stroller outside.

“Yah! Seriously ...” I looked back to frustrated Jooheon. “Wae?” he blew his bangs and wore his cap in backward now. “My friend just text me something and I can’t believe he did that.” He sighed. ‘What?’ I mouthed him.

“He wanna go on a date with his girlfriend later this afternoon and he’s asking me to follow him like be his accompany or something like that. And I don’t wanna be a loner. Oh my god!” as he explain the foods were served. “You mean third wheel loner. So, are you planning to go?” I asked him.

He shrugged, “I don’t know. And are you free this evening? Let’s go together.” He ended with his signature kku kku kka kka. I held my laughter and cupped my mouth from attacking him from “Yah! Can’t you not do that while I’m eating?”

He giggled, “Andwae, noona~ let’s watch movie while he’s dating with his girlfriend.” he teased in his childish voice.

“I can’t promise you anything. I’ll just give you a text later, okay?” he nodded and we enjoyed our cherish morning with scrumptious meal. I wiped my mouth with the napkin and left with Jooheon to the counter.

I told him to pay separately since I brought my card and I don’t wanna look bad at him, “You sure?” he confirmed it for the second time and I nodded to him. After the payment, we walked outside and took a stroll before went home.

“I seriously need to shower.” He sudden confessed. We lowly giggled, “And we smell too bad and even that just walked away passed us.” I pointed. I bid Jooheon goodbye as I arrived in front of my house.

“How’s your meal? Was it good?” dad greeted. I nod, “But yours is better.” I winked. He laughed and left me running upstairs and head into the shower. Suddenly, I heard a short ‘bing’ from Brian’s phone.

I peeked over, “I think it’s one of his friends or more ...” I mumbled and grabbed my towel into the bathroom. I turned the lukewarm shower pressure and applied the lime body wash. I washed my hair afterwards and washed off the shampoo off.

I walked out and dried my hair naturally as the outside wind blew into my room. I wore my white dark blue striped long sleeve shirt with black skinny pants. “Hailey-ah, I planned to visit my friend’s house this afternoon and probably sleep for a night there.”

My eyes went huge, ‘Jooheon’s plan ...’ I gave him a quick text and told him it’s my temporary number. I could imagine that Jooheon feeling excited not to accompany his friend this time.

“Who’s that friend?” I walked downstairs and asked him.

His gaze turned to me, “He’s an old friend of mine back in university. He’ll flew back to Chicago for his master’s degree in economics next Wednesday.” I mouthed ‘O’ as an understanding. “What’s his name again?”

“Jung Shin. Park Jung Shin.” Dad told me. I shrugged and wondered he probably has or haven’t married. Whether he has a son or sons, oh my, period hormones making me sick. I blew my bangs. “He already married and has a son.” Dad sounds excited.

“Well, I could hear your thoughts echoed in this hall very clearly.” He teased.

I was told to pack my clothes for the night and essentials. “Pack those necessary things and I don’t wanna turned back the car as we when half way, okay?” he said as he shut down his laptop. I walked upstairs and pulled my summer Kipling backpack.

I pulled my grey chequered cardigan with dark blue top as my outfit for tomorrow. I think I need my red snickers, white rugged pants and washed navy ankle pants. With few undergarments, Ray ban, “Don’t forget your sun block.” And pyjamas. Dad’s voice could practically hear next door.

“Let’s go!” I tossed my back pack onto the sofa and waited for dad. And for men they usually bought few stuffs and he bought a medium size and bought like stuff for a week instead a night stay.

Dad drove and we arrived 45 mins later. Well, we’re at somewhere village with cool summer breeze. “This place is cool.” I grinned. Dad messed my hair, “It is and you’ll love it as I did back 20 years ago.”

“Jung Shin-ah!” dad called out in front of the traditional hanok. A man with late forties looks walked out with an old woman behind him. “Ah, Jae Wook-ah! You’re finally here!” he hugged dad and his gaze paused at me.

“Annyeonghaseyo! My name is Hailey. Jung Hailey.” I bowed.

“Aigoo! Your daughter has grown and she looks like her dad a lot.” The old women came to my side. Mr. Park smiled, “So, Hailey, I hope you’ll find your one night stay is interesting.” He winked. We all laughed and walked inside.

“Hailey, this will be your room.” Did I tell you, this place is super huge? I entered and unpacked few of my necessities. I sensed vibrations from Brian’s phone and there are nearly 30 messages for now. Oh, damn! But there are few messages caught my eye.

Are you coming for the next gig? – Ace

I have the new guitar you asked. – J

Hailey! – Brian

Yah! Are sleeping? – Brian

Jaehwa is calling you non-stop and she’s spamming your inbox. – Brian

I sighed and text him back.

I muted your phone because there are nearly 30 messages now and mostly about gigs and guitar. – Hailey

*sigh* Well, you could prevent that by texting me earlier – Brian

Okay now he’s trying to be mean. Well, I’m not your secretary or something.

I was going out earlier this morning. – Hailey

I await and no reply was gain from him. Why is he always keeping me hanging, “Hailey?” I heard dad knocked on the wooden door. “Let’s have our lunch.” He continued. I walked out with Brian’s phone in my pocket.

“Jae Wook, I didn’t get a chance to ask you earlier. How are you?” the old woman asked. Dad told it was fine and he sometimes just being stress. “Works are always like that, wasn’t it?” Mr. Park questioned.

Dad giggled and brushed my hair, “She’s my stress. My only stress. Hailey here could be too playful and giddy.” I looked back at him in surprised, “I’m not giddy!” I crossed my arm. “How’s school, Hailey?” she asked.

I nod and smiled, “I wish you best luck and granted your dreams. I’m Jung Shin’s mother. You can call me halmeoni.” So she’s Mr. Park’s mom. Cool. They all giggled, “Speaking of which, I presume your son is doing well?”

“Nari is at Jae Hyun’s school for some stuff.” Halmeoni served the tea to everyone. So Jae Hyun is his name. “Hailey, how old are you?” Mr. Park asked.

“17 in this another two months.”

Halmeoni told that I’m younger than Jae Hyun. He’s a freshman in university. I thought he’s in school. “He skipped a grade so he graduated high school faster a year.” Then, we heard a honk.

“That must be them.” And we all had lunch after wards.

Night comes and the sun laid in peace after a long day of heat. I helped halmeoni and Ms. Nari at the kitchen for the BBQ party. “Jae Hyun-ah!” she yelled for her son.

I could hear footsteps running to the kitchen and felt his presence at the kitchen’s door. “Why don’t you take Hailey and have a tour around?” I looked at Ms. Nari in disbelief. “But ... how about the dishes.”

Halmeoni literally pushed me and grabbed Jae Hyun’s hand to grab my wrist. “Go and take a walk. I’ll cook.”

“Jae Hyun be back by dinner, okay?” I looked back at him and he nodded with a smile. We both walked out and with his hand still on my wrist, “I should wash my hand first.”

Jae Hyun walked with me to a picnic bench under a huge tree. “I normally sits here when they both cook.” He breaks the ice with his husky voice. I looked at him, “What about your dad?”

He smiled, “He rarely be at home and I could count on how many time he’s having family dinner.” Well, that’s quite surprising. “Let’s talk about something else. How’s your high school life so far?” he turned his gaze to me.

“Well, it was great until a guy ‘accidently’ knocked me over and we literally swapped our phone.” I waved the phone at him. “But, I have my iPod, so my SNS still updated everywhere I go.” I continued.

“I bet that guy is making you go insane, didn’t he?” he questioned. I laughed, “Yeah. He is, sometimes. Most of the time he leave me hanging.”

We literally enjoyed that night in our comfort silence. “So, how’s university?” I looked at him. He cupped his face and partially yelled, “Tired and I only slept for 4 hours a day.”

His eye-bags were obvious and I could say he pulled all nighters to keep his grades and works done. I applause. He took a glance at his watch and told me it’s almost dinner and we should go back for the BBQ.

After the tiredness night, we all help each other and cleaned up the place. “Goodnight Hailey.” I turned around to that voice and it was Jae Hyun. I smiled and bid him good night too. I closed the door behind me and thought about him.

Are you asleep? – B

About to but I’m not that sleepy yet. Why? – H

Just curious and I’m actually having a break right now. – B

Your dad just gave a text earlier. He said that he’ll call you soon and he can’t confirm it. – H

Oh, okay. Text to him ‘Nae abeoji.’ As what I tell you. – B

And I already sent. – H

And I literally obeyed him. Oh my...

I’m just curious. Did you really attend SHS? – B

Duh! How could we swap phone then? – H

Ha, yeah. Well, I wanna know little stuff about the owner of my phone. May I? – B

What do you wanna know about me? – H

Hmm... Do you like to travel? – B

Yeah. I’ve been to America and Hungary for a few times. – H

The only place I went since I was small is Toronto, Canada. – B

You should go to Budapest. It’s beautiful country with delicious food. – H

I would like to sometimes. Maybe we could go together? – B

And, what type of bribery is he trying to offer me. This guy literally making me confuse with all of his text.

Maybe. Are you a senior class? – H

No replied after 10 minutes as usual. I waited until I yawned myself for a few times. Ugh, I need some sleep.  He always the last one to have a conversation with me almost every night. It’s very fishy, don’t you think so?


This is slightly longer than usual :)