Fourteen

Reality
I curled up myself on the bed restraining from the unbearable pain in my abdomen. I forced myself to wake up and look at the desk clock. ‘It’s just 7.30am. I could make it to school.’ I mumbled.
 
I slowly crept to the bathroom but I fell once more on the floor. It’s a terrible pain. I guess another leave would do. I end up crawl to the bathroom and winced to all the physical and mental pain. “Hey, are you going to school today?!”
 
“I’m gonna have another skip,” I told Kwang Joon. I could him smirking when he heard me, “Well, I'm not even surprised that you like to stay at home than going to school.” I’m in pain because of you, moron.I changed to a fresh pair of covered clothes and lay back on my bed. At the same time, my stomach giving me rhythm for food calls. I sighed and rummaged through my backpack if I could find anything and I guess I did.
 
I ate the snickers chocolate bar and had my painkiller after. I’ll be dead if I get out of my room just for having a meal.  That’s what I had for the past 3 days at home.
“Hailey, it’s great to have you back. I heard from the student affairs that you’re sick.” Great, now what does my aunt told them. I nod and gave a morning smile.
 
“Your aunt did call the school about your conditions and you refuse to have a check-up. I hope you’re okay now and be able to catch up few days syllabus. And don’t worry, the school’s nurse always available.” He continued
 
I sat at my place and have my concentration back on the board in front. “What happen?” she faced me and rest her elbow on the table after the teacher walks out.
I sighed, “I got the mild flu and sudden rash on my skin.” 
 
She hugged me with the pain still with me, “I hope you’re well and I don’t mind sharing the same virus as you.” She giggled. 
 
We had our escape to the school’s library for our 1 period free and sat at our usual spot with a magnificent view of the outdoor fountain. “Hey, I need to deal some things at the school office. I’ll be real quick, alright.” I left and walked through the east corridor to the administrator block.
 
I gave a knock and it was the clerk asked if I request to meet any teachers and obviously no. “I wanna ask if I could pay my cafeteria meal monthly?” she looked at me and typed something on her keyboard.
 
She nods, “You may and may I know why? And how much you would like to pay?”
 
I hand over my debit card and she accepts it, “I’ll pay for 2 months for now. It’s a long queue when it came to payment and makes me get indigestion. I’m on senior class and it’s far from the cafeteria.”
 
Obviously, I’m not gonna face those weird people and jocks at the canteen. She smiled, “Well, you’re not the only one.”
 
She hands me the receipt and green wristbands to wear it when I have my food. I walked down the lonely and empty hallway. I grabbed my Chemistry book from the locker and went the absolute shock when I felt a sudden touch on my shoulder.
 
I slowly turned around for that cold touch, “What are you doing here?” and it was Brian. I sighed in relieved. I looked back at him and showed my chemistry book.
“I mean, it’s a class hour.”
 
“This is my 1 period free class time and what are you doing in the corridor?” I crossed my arm and walked along with him. He told me that history is boring so he excused for the toilet and saw me. 
 
“Hailey ...” he called and pause our steps.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Are you okay? Your face looks pale earlier like you seen a ghost or something bad.” He went one step closer. This guy has a serious personal space understanding.
 
“Nope. Everything’s fine with me.”
 
He waved goodbye when he almost reached his class. I went back to the library and found Jaehwa, really studying. Nice! “What took you so long?! Wait, Brian isn’t it?” 
 
Bingo! You got it right!
 
I nod and showed her the green wristband, “You paid? You barely eat that food and it doesn’t deserve to be called as food.” She complains and I literally diverse her concentration from her studies. Oops! 
 
“Well, I make my mind that I should be thankful. Hey, there are lots of kids who can’t even get food. So, why we waste it?” I shrugged. That’s a right point.
 
She thought for a well and finally agrees with me. I had my chemistry over organic substances and all. I’m all flunked with this subject. Ugh, I’m bad with this.
 
“Hailey, what’s with the long face?”
 
It was Jooheon, finally joining us. He sat next to me and Jaehwa. You see, it’s a 3-seater table. “Chemistry and you know how bad it is with me. We don’t have any chemistry.” I sighed and laid my head on the table, “I prefer other sciences subject than this.”
 
He giggled, “Hey, I think you’ll do great. At least, have a B or B+ for the exam later is a great score, though. I think you can, just believe in yourself.” That’s a great one. “Well, actually, I’m about to ask if you guys are hungry and wanna have lunch?” he smiled and look over to both of us. “I’ll pass.” Jaehwa continued her studies and looks like she’ll score excellently this upcoming exam.
 
“Can you buy me the grilled cheese sandwich, sweet potato, garden salad and sports cap mineral water?” I gave him the green wristbands. Jooheon gave me the look and couldn’t believe what I just said. “What?” 
 
H shrugged, “I’ll be back, ladies.” He bid off and I heard Jaehwa sighed and closed her book. “Tired?” I asked as I turn to my right. “Exhausted. Hailey, I’m gonna take a quick walk around the library.” 
 
I’ll see you after school. – B
 
Watch the house coz’ I’ll be out of town for few days. – Aunt
 
That’s a quick message when I my phone.  Few hours later, I already pack my stuff in my backpack, “Text me if you need anything.” I hugged Jaehwa and Jooheon when I told them earlier that I have to meet Brian after school.
 
“You’re late.” Well, it’s just a few minutes that I wait for Brian in front of the school. He smiled sheepishly, “Sorry. I got caught up by the teacher. Extra works.” 
 
“So, do you wanna ask anything? Is it about the tutor thing?” I looked at him as we waited for the bus at the station. “Actually, I have something to ask and it’s slightly personal and weird.”
 
I shrugged him to continue, “Why you didn’t answer my calls?” 
 
“What calls? When did you call?” literally, I didn’t know anything about this. He told me he did call me when I was absent from school. Right, the phone is with my aunt after the bad night accident.
 
“I forgot to charge.” 
 
He sighed and we took the bus, “You’re lying. I know you didn’t. Is everything okay with your aunt?” what is he? A mind reader? 
 
“Brian, I’m not. And I did forget about it.” We nearly fought again, for the second time. I tried to explain to him and cover up the real accident. He smiled, “I’m sorry.” He apologised.
 
Eventually, we missed the bus stop that I suppose to go. “We missed.” I literally made it obvious to Brian. He showed his pearly whites for the umpteenth time today, “We aren’t. I need you to go somewhere with me.”
 
The bus stopped in front of a shopping complex and he pulled me into the tall building. “I can’t be too long. I have to be home before 5.” I bit my lip.
 
He brushed my hair, “No worries. I need your opinion about this one new shoe. I wanna buy it for my mom. Maybe, you could help?” he rubbed the nape of his neck.
 
I looked at him in disbelief and agreed at the same time. “Sure, why not.”
 
We walked to the shoe shop and it’s branded well-known one. “Brian, are you sure, you wanna buy here?” I pulled his jacket. He nods, “Don’t worry, my dad lends his
card for me.” He winked and continued looking.
 
I sighed and dropped my shoulder. I sat on the soft small chair right behind of curious Brian. “May I help you?” 
 
We looked at the male assistant, “Hi. I wanna buy a pair of shoe that fit my mom’s feet.” He told that guy. Well, now, 2 guys searching for a pair of shoes. “How about this?” 
 
Brian shrugged, “Wait, what’s your mom’s feet size?” 
 
Suddenly, Brian looked at me and gave his devilish smirk. “She’s about her size but slightly taller by 2 inches, I guess.”
 
“I could fit 265mm to 270mm,” I told the sales assistant. He went to the store and searches the shoe. “I pick this; it should be fine, right?” I went surprised by his choice.
 
Not only about the price, but it’s beautiful a black 3-inch pumps with silver shining rhinestones on its body. Oh my, this is beautiful. “Miss?” the sales assistant gave me to try the shoe. Ha, it fits me well.
 
I took a few steps like I’m running the runway. Yeah, I’m the supermodel. We laughed and Brian did pay for that 450$ pumps, “I hope she’ll love this.” 
 
We walked back to the station after a grab of ice-cream from the parlour. “I’ll see you at school.” We bid goodbye and I arrived home after 10 minutes of the bus ride, “I’m home.” I went into silent after I saw Kwang Joon’s shoes.
 
He’s here.
 
I ran upstairs and locked the door behind me. I quietly freshen up myself and lay on the bed, calming myself. I have my own dinner now of sweet potato. It was quite scary but I let it loose and continue my home works.
 
“Sweety ...” I heard a voice from the stairs after I turn off the lights. I heard properly and peeped under the door. There are 2 people, “You’re very naughty boy!” the door slammed hard.
 
That wasn’t aunt’s voice with Kwang Joon. He’s cheating.