Six

Reality

Time seemed to slow down around me as the sounds fade into my surrounding. My pupils constrict and dilate at certain time until I was shook from a slight touch on my right shoulder, “Hailey?” a low voice called.

I turned and it was a male officer sat next to me with few papers and documents with him, “Hailey, I know this might be a shock for you. I’m here to assist you if you have anything. First thing first, do you know anybody here as in your close relatives?”

I shook and dropped my head to the ground.

“I know nobody ... my friends are the closest ones.” He sighed softly and took a sit beside me. “Is dad gonna be alright?” I asked.

He blew his bangs, “He’s been accused of first degree murder. We found few DNA samples of your dad at the crime scenes.” I shook my head in disbelief. “But he’s been at home the whole time ...”

I told him in a whispery voice. “Hailey, I’m ...”

“I need my dad’s lawyer before you ask me anything else.” I cut him. He seemed to be shocked with my words. “If you have no reasons to detain me here, I have my own rights to be released.”

He sighed and look into my eyes, “This is my card. If you have or need anything, I’m always available.”

“Can I meet my dad?” I asked him for once. He rubbed the nape of his neck, “I wish I could but the court ordered nobody could visits him until the trial runs.” I walked away with tinge emptiness inside me.

I hailed a cab outside and rode home. I stared into the shady tree on the side of the road as the cab driver drove. “Miss, we’re here.” The old man’s voice broke the ice. I paid him and walked into the house.

“It’s now empty.” I mumbled as I walked across the hallway to the kitchen. My mind advert to Taylor Swift’s Haunted. “Dad, I need you ... hold on! He asked me to find uncle’s number.” I quickly went to his office.

I gaped in awed at how huge his ‘mini’ office is. I sighed softly as I begin to search around his desk. I saw a name on a small piece of paper ‘Lee & Ahn’. I dialled on the number using house phone written on the paper.

“Hello?” I asked as the other side of the caller picked up the phone call. “Mr. Jung! It’s been a long time.” The voice replied. “I’m Hailey. Jae Wook’s daughter.”

There was a small paused, “Ah, well. Hailey, what can I do for you? And how do you know this number?” he asked back.

“Dad told me to find my uncle’s number in his office and I found this number. I know it’s his lawyer’s number but I need help.” I told him. “Where is your father, Hailey?” he begins to sound curious.

I lowly sighed, “He’s in prison few moments ago. He was framed. The police asked me a several times about my legal guardian since I’m still an underage. Does dad mentioned to you anything about my uncle?”

“I wish I knew. He never mentioned anything about his family to me. Where’s your father right now? I mean his prison.”

“Seoul District Prison.” I explained him and calmed myself on his reading chair nearby. “Hailey, how about your mother?” he asked again. Dad really kept his family matters away.

“S-she left us when I was small.”

I heard few pens clicking when he was in silence, “Sir?” I called him back. “Hailey, in this period, anything could happen to you. Officials from the ministries could anytime knock on your house door and placed you in orphanage. And your house will be in government’s possession until the trial ends.” That got me in total silence.

“What could ... I ... you ...” I was stuttered.

“Keep this number with you and give me a call and I’ll help you with it, okay?” he reassured me. “Now, what should I do?” I begin to panic as I bit my fingernails. “Relax. If the police called for some interrogation, called me first. When the welfare department took you to orphanage or whatever happens to you, just call me okay?”

I hardly took that and process inside me. “Is there anything else, Hailey?” he asked me with his soft tone. “No.”

I could felt that the he half smiled, “Calm your thoughts, Hailey. Everything would be fine.” And with that, we end the call. I plopped myself on the couch and breathe hardly. I pulled my beanie off my head and checked my phone.

Hailey! Are you okay? – J

I sighed and smiled to myself upon her text.

I’m fine. I’m a bit lost for now. Can’t even register to my core what just happen. – H

Well, if you wanna come over, my house door always open for you. – J

Thanks for that. I’m fine for now. I’ll give you a call if anything happens. – H

Not long after, “JUST SHOUT HAILEY! I COULD HEAR YOU!” Jaehwa practically screamed at her bedroom balcony. I laughed and waved at her, “Yah! People will think you’re crazy.”