Seven

Reality

“Is everything okay?” Jaehwa asked me as we’re having our lunch at the school garden. I shrugged to her question. “Well, it’s been 3 days since dad got arrested and I have no idea what will happen.”

We had our lunch and walked back to our class. Before that, I bumped with Minhyo, “Well, well, isn’t it the bimbos.” She snickered.

Jaehwa pushed her away, “Get lost, you fool!”         

I sat back at my chair and grabbed my iPod and scrolled through my twitter timeline. I sighed lowly, “How’s Brian?” she suddenly asked. I looked at her in surprised, “I don’t know. He haven’t text or call me recently.”

“Did I tell you that he’s coming back soon and Hailey, you shouldn’t get your ego wins it.” She winked. I gave her disbelief look, “What happen to Jaehwa? Who are you!?” we giggled and told some random jokes until the social studies teacher walks in.

Her lesson today seems catchy and nobody fell asleep. Well, practically on Korean era before and after war. “I assigned you to work in pair – desk mate, to find out on the strategic value on Korea.

It could be anything, let’s say which countries might consider expanding into the Korean peninsula? Well, that’s mine. Think of all sources and ...”

“Miss Jung Hailey, please be present at the principal’s office as soon as possible. Thank you.” The intercom cuts her. I could felt the whole class’ gaze turned to me and wondered what-so-ever fault I did.

“Hailey?” the teacher called me. I gave a small smile to Jaehwa and walked out from the class in deep breath. Feeling obnoxious, nervous and lost when I heard my name echoed in my head few times. My feet took a halt in front of the principal’s office.

“Come in!” I heard after I gave a few knocks. I bowed as I closed the door behind me. There were the principal, the male officer who was with me at the station and few officers with him. What? Am I related to a gang problem now?

The principal offered me to sit. “So, Hailey, I received news that your father is in the police custody for first degree murder and these officers here would like to speak to you.” The principal looked me within her empty gaze.

The male officer gave his awkward smile and introduced the male officer is his partner and the female officer is from the welfare ministry. They’re here to help you if you doesn’t understand any or need their help, besides himself.

“Hailey, I’m here to tell you that your father has been charged for first degree murder with felony. The court has decided to transferred him to the Federal Prison and will proceed with his next trials.” He explained.

I looked at him and hoping none of these are true and I just want everything to be cleared out. “We received the court order with the mayor and ministry of education permissions to have us at the police station for settling other documents right at the moment.”

“Why didn’t you bring the documents here?” I asked him directly. He gulped, “Well, it’s a confidential letters and documents, I’m sure you understand that.” I rubbed my temple, “I need my lawyer.” The whole room turned into silence.

“What?” I mumbled and looked at each of them. “Hailey,  I know that news definitely brought you to a shock, but at certain times you have to brave yourself and accept the reality.” Oh my, this is what I’m not expecting the principal say.

I crossed my arms and wait for any of them to proceed, “I’ll never speak a word about this until my lawyer is here.” I snickered. Hey, I knew this day would happen and CSI definitely helped me with this.

“I’ll assume you’ll wait in front the school ... no. That’s too obvious. Two blocks from here with out the weird sirens. I’ll agree to follow you back to the station after my lawyer knew about this and I’ll be back to my class now. Sorry, for the time taken and I have social studies to continue.”

I left the room with a heavy burden. I deeply sighed, “Well, at least you killed them with your words.” I told Jaehwa some parts of what happened. She laughed her off and held her stomach, “I wouldn’t expect you to do that.”

The day went fast and after did I knew, I was already in a room with a two-way mirror waiting for dad’s lawyer. Somehow, this is what interrogation felt like. I heard a knock and my gaze turned back to the door.

“I’m Lawyer Lee. Are you Jung Hailey?” a smartly dressed early fifties man entered the room. I nod, “So, let’s begin.” He explained me several documents and told me several laws that the court might imposed about dad’s crime accuse.

I sighed and cupped my face, “These are too much for me to understand. What can I do?” I asked him for the umpteenth time. He smiled, “Don’t worry. I’ll handle it.”

“Wait, what about the orphanage?” I sounded curious.

He said that they’re here processing some documents to hand out to me and the police station. And when I heard that, it couldn’t be even worse than that. I sighed softly to his words. As we’re about to stand up, an officer walks in, “Hailey, your aunt is here.” I gave a question look to Mr. Lee.

We walk out and head back to the secretary desk. There, I saw a woman in her late twenties look with pale green dress hung on her body, loosely. “Hailey!” she ran up to me and gave me a tight hug.

I awkwardly hugged her back, “Hi ...”

She pulled from the hug and gave a tender smile, “You look just like your mother with your father’s eyes.” Okay ... this is pretty weird. “What was your name again?” Mr. Lee asked.

“Sung Ryung. My name is Kim Sung Ryung.” Mr. Lee pulled me back to his side and forbid her to come close. “Your surname is totally different than her father’s. Mind to explain that?” the officer who called me get ready with whatever circumstances she might give.

She smiled and clapped her hand together softly. “Our father married two women which is her grandfather. My mother is the second wife and her father is the first wife. My mother insist to use her surname instead of dad’s.” She explained and handed few stacks of papers to Mr. Lee.

He flipped through with caution and would be a big error if he missed a column of deceit. Mr. Lee looked at me and nods. “She’s your legal guardian.”

I hugged Mr. Lee for the short notice he helped me. “Make sure you keep your house keys safe, alright? Follow what your heart said and don’t worry. I’ll get your father release, as soon as possible.” He whispered.

“I suggest, every documents have been submitted. I’ll leave now. Come, Hailey.” She offered her hand. I walked slowly to her with my gaze lowered to the floor. She half hugs me while walking back to her car.

This is a beginning of a new chapter for me.