Thirteen

Reality

I grunted and sat up on my bed. I look over the time on my phone and it is 11 freaking am. “Another weekend at stranger’s house,” I mumbled before I head to the dressing table. I brushed my messy hair and tied into a high bun before I had my morning shower.

I wore on my white loose tank top with ripped skinny jeans. I matched it with black sneakers and head downstairs to the kitchen. Seems like nobody’s up or they aren’t in the house. I grabbed my frosty flakes and cold milk from the fridge.

I washed the dishes and placed in the dishwasher before I sling over my Swiss army backpack. My feet took the place that I would think of. Home.

I ducked under the ‘do-not-cross’ yellow tape and entered my house. The door was unlocked and I look around the house. Everything is in the same place. “I should take few things in my room. It won’t be big offence right?” I asked myself.

I entered my room and rummage through the wardrobe. I found few school papers and my examination report cards. I flipped through the photo album and found a picture of my mom and dad. “Oh, the letter!”

I dialled dad’s lawyer number and waited for Mr. Lee to answer it. “Hello, this is Lee & Ahn. How may I help you?” a woman’s voice greeted me.

“Hi, is Mr. Lee around?” I asked. Everything was silence at first, but then I heard few mouse clicking. “Yes, Mr. Lee is available. Do you have any appointment with him? What’s your name miss?”

I entered the bathroom and closed the door behind me. “Well, I don’t have any but Mr. Lee asked me to call him for the Jae Wook’s case.” I fiddled my fingers in nervous. I hope she could give me the access. Well, I thought Mr. Lee gave me his number directly to his office.

“Sure. I’ll connect this line to him.” I lay in the empty bathtub and facing upwards.

A few beeps were heard and ringing sound appeared. “Hello?” I gasped few breaths, “Mr. Lee! It’s me, Hailey. I’m Jae Wook’s daughter.”

“Ah, Hailey! I remember you! Is there anything I could help you?” he begin to concern. I told him about mom’s letter that dad has told me once about it. He said that the letter will pass to me on my 18th birthday.

“That letter. I have it with me. Is your birthday coming up any sooner?”

“Yeah, in 2 weeks. Is there any conditions about it?” I sat back up straight. “One of the conditions is the letter will be given when you reached 18 years old. Your father must declare as in sign the letter of release unless your father dies in any accident.”

“Well, dad is still in prison and does he have to wait for it?” Suddenly I heard few voices downstairs. “I have to go. I’ll call you soon.” I whispered and pressed the end call. I walked myself nearer to the door and leaned in.

“Can’t you see it? She’s not here! Why are we wasting our time here?!” deep voice asked. “Don’t you get it? We almost get caught because you didn’t do well.” Another voice answered.

I cupped my mouth and listen further. I’m stuck and no exit is available. “I paid you so you could deal with this case easily.” The second voice continued.

I stood up and went to the door. Their footsteps sound louder and louder and my heartbeat raced faster in frightened. “What about the evidence that you told me about?” the deep voice asked and my room door creaked open.

“Was the bag in this room?” My bag! I heard my things were dropped on the floor and glass shattered. “There’s nothing here! And where are you going?” I peeked between the small holes behind the door.

I saw the guy stood right in front of my door with his back facing the door. “I was just walking to the window,” He answered. I cupped my mouth in silence and with my tears continue to wet my cheeks.

I closed my eyes and hope someone will come and save me. I heard nothing. Everything went back to silence and I curled myself on the floor and bawled out. “I heard them.”

I sobbed and faced the ceiling and slowly laid myself on the floor. “Dad ...” Everything was blurred and my eyelids slowly closed. The next thing I knew was, someone calling my name a few times.

“Hailey, can you hear me?”

“Her BP is dropping!”

“Oxygen level is critical!”

My face was placed with oxygen mask I presume. I inhaled and everything becomes to clear now. “Hailey, what happen?” I looked around. Everything was white. “Don’t worry; you’re at the hospital now. The police officer found you lying on the floor in the bathroom.”

I pulled the mask and told Mr. Lee, “I heard them.”

He went shocked and placed back the oxygen mask on me. He walked outside and talked to one of the police officers. I pressed the call button for the nurse. “You called me. Do you need anything?”

“When can I be discharged?” I asked her. She gave a thin smile, “If your condition improves, you can be discharged by an hour later.” I nodded and she left the room.

Mr. Lee came back into the room with a doctor and 2 police officers. “Hailey, I’m the doctor in charge. Are you feeling alright? Any nausea?” he asked.

I shook my head and told him everything was fine. “I’m gonna run a simple ear test for you, okay?” he wore the headphone on me and told me to raise my hand if I heard him.

I raise my hand for the first sound, the second sound but nothing was heard on the 5th sound. “That’s all. I’ll prescribe few medicines for you.” Mr. Lee followed him out and had a talk.

One of the male officers asked what happen. Did I saw anything or heard anything? I told him what they converse about. “So, you didn’t hear anything?”

I shook my head, “I knew it was a man and woman because one of them had a deep voice and the other one just normal voice, but I didn’t know if there were more than 2.”

They nodded and thanked upon the info.

The doctor came later alone and needed a personal talk with me together with Mr. Lee. “Hailey, is everything okay lately?” Mr. Lee asked.

I looked at both of them if there’s anything wrong. “Based on the hearing test, it seems that one of your ears didn’t hear any sound. Am I correct?” he continued.

I sighed, “Few days ago, I accidently banged my head on the wall. I slipped on the slippery floor in my room.”

“Any bleeding or unusual sound hears?” the doctor begins his questions. I told no. The doctor told me to call the hospital if anything occurs in the ear. Mr. Lee emphasized once again, to call his number. “But, the secretary answered it.”

“My number is the second one,” He told me. The doctor told me and that I may be discharged and took my medicine at the counter. One of the nurses took it from the pharmacy for me.

He shut the oxygen tank and turned off the heartbeat monitor. I hand over my health card and listen properly to the medications directions. “If you have any problem, you can call the pharmacy, alright. Don’t Google it.”

I smiled at the nurse and receive my health card back. Mr. Lee thanked the doctor and I thanked him too. “Hope to see you again but not in the hospital.” He slightly laughed.

“Do you need a lift?” Mr. Lee asked as he sat next to me and hand over my bag pack.

“I was about to asked one of the officers, though.” He smiled. He told me he could get any officers to lift me home. I told him I need a lift to the main bus station. He nodded and 2 police officers escorted me to the hospital main entry.

One of them went to the basement and drove to the main entry and one of them stood in front of me. I entered the Chevrolet suburban and buckle my seatbelt.

After a few minutes of the silent ride, I reached the main bus station. “Take care and be safe Hailey!” one of the officers told me. I thanked them and purchase the bus ticket inside.

I arrived home later and was greeted with a heated argument. I slowly walked in and made myself to the stairs. “Why didn’t you tell us were going out?” Kwang Joon asked.

I turned around and met them in the eyes. “Nobody was home when I woke up this morning,” I told them. Aunt came closer and slapped me once more, “You ! You could text me or even left a note.”

“It would be better if you left us some breakfast, but guess what? You didn’t.” Her boyfriend smirked.

I fell from the strong impact. “Why didn’t you?” She asked more.

I held my cheek in pain and tried to run upstairs. The bedroom door was banged and both of them are now inside of my room. “This is why I have trust issues with you.” Aunt held my chin and locked her gaze on mine.

Her boyfriend chuckled, “Maybe we should teach her a lesson so she could remember it properly.” I walked back until I lay on my own bed.

I shut my eyes and defence myself as she kept on hitting my face and my stomach. Suddenly, I felt my arm is burning. I looked over. Aunt was held my hand and her boyfriend placed the kindle cigarette butts on my skin.

I screamed in pain. She muffled my mouth as I held the pain inside. I cried with no tears wetting on my cheeks. Red and black spots begin to form on my skin. They both laughed and looked at me in a broken state.

“Don’t you dare to tell anybody or you will face the consequences.” She warned me and they both walked out from the room.

I can’t do anything. I slowly sat up and touched the few spots that were burnt from the cigarette . I pulled out the skin lotion from my bag-pack and rubbed over the wounds. I winced and sobbed in pain.

I changed my clothes and lay on the bed. I looked at the time on my phone it’s just 2 pm. I sighed and calmed my mind. And I felt a vibrating sense on my bed. I look to the side and grabbed my phone.

Are you hungry? Cause’ I am. – B

I’m not. – H

Aw, why? It's lunch hour. I know a great place with awesome food and fewer people – B

I wish I could but I’m not feeling well. Next time, maybe? – H

I’m sorry for that. You want me to come over? For some homemade chicken soup? – B

That’ll be your mom making it and its fine. – H

Hey, I’m good at making chicken soup. I learned it well. – B

Have a rest and I’ll see you at school soon, okay? – B

Thanks & I’ll see you soon, Brian. – H

Take care and don’t forget your medications! – B


Leave your comments below! xoxo