Ten

Reality

I quicken my pace and saw aunt on the floor at the kitchen pick up the shattered glass. I gaped my mouth in surprise. I bent down to help her with the mess. The ceramic bowl shattered on the floor and creates a terrible mess.

“Ah!” she flinched and looked up to me with a raging anger. “This is all because of you! If you aren’t here, I won’t be like this.” She walked closer to me.

Her appearance is what more shocking to me. Her frizzy hair is unmanageable and her clothes seem old and untidy. “Aunt, are ... are you alright?”

I felt a quick response on my pain receptor on my skin. I held my right cheek. She slapped me. “You’re grounded! Don’t you ever speak a word to me!”

I held my tears not because I’m scared of her, but of the unbearable pain. I slowly turned around and walked to the stairs before I felt something in my back pocket. I quickly turned, “I’m gonna have this. And no dinner for you tonight for your immoral act!” I tried to grab it from her, but I couldn’t.

I went vulnerable.

I went weak.

I went lost

I need help.

I need dad.

I’m in pain.

I curled myself on the mattress and sprawled all my tears. “Dad, I need you. I always do.” I sobbed between my tears. I slowly laid myself and remembered that my iPod is still with me. I plugged in my earphone and played my lullabies playlist.

“Hailey, listen to me. You’re strong. Don’t give up early. I need you.” I heard a faint voice.

“Hailey, please, do it for me.”

“Your mother and I would be proud of you.” The voice is now gone. I called dad but it was nowhere. Everything was dark and completely silence. “Hailey ...” I heard another faint voice.

I turned around but I couldn’t find it. “Hailey!” I shot up and looked to my left and aunt was there. “Are you okay? I heard you scream.” I wiped the crystal beads on my forehead and softly sighed.

“What ... happen?”

“I heard you scream momentarily as I entered the house. I quickly search you and you were mumbling in your sleep. Stress from school?” she asked. I shook my head and stood up with her.

Aunt told me that she bought dinner and she’ll wait for me downstairs. I went to the bathroom and washed my face. “It was just a dream, Hailey.” I mumbled.

I walked downstairs and found the dining table is filled half with 2 boxes of pizza and BBQ chicken wings. Damn, this woman surely wants make me fat or something. I took the beef pepperoni with a sipped of coke in between.

“How’s school?” aunt broke the ice.

I shrugged, “Everything is ... normal. Nothing much to tell.” She gave a thin smile. She asked me about my preferences. Seriously, even my dad didn’t do this.

“Do you play sports? What about your favourite school activity?” I finish my pizza munch before I answer those. “My sport is none. I don’t play. Favourite school activity is field trip.” She smiled to my answer.

“Well, I’m gonna tidying this up. You can go to your room, okay? I’ll be at downstairs if you need anything. I walked straight up to my room and freshen up myself. I end up fallen asleep on the mattress from the heavy tiredness I’m having.

Sunday of weekend arrived and I have a date with my favourite people; Jaehwa and Jooheon. I walked downstairs to inform aunt. To my surprise, she’s not at home at the morning. Frankly weird, but I’m still leaving her note.

I took the town bus and had my destination near to the station. I entered the Fleur Cafe and sat at the window seat. I tapped my fingers on the table and looked outside for their presence. I blew my bangs and was slightly surprised when the waitress asked on my order.

“I’ll have an iced latte, thank you.” She left after popped her bubble gum to me. I grunted and took my phone from my pocket until a voice greeted me. “Hey, you’re the same class as mine! You’re Hailey, right?”

I looked up in front of me and he is familiar to me. “I’m Lee Won with glasses.” He giggled. I smiled, “You come here? And how did you know my name?” he asked.

I nod, “Yeah. I always come here like this is my favourite place to hang out. You?”

He slightly leaned forward and tapped his chin, “Well, I think nobody in the school don’t know the girl who won math Olympiad for the school and always refuse to change her class to the first class. I might say, I found this place out of my coincidence and entered until I saw you were alone. So, I come to say hi.”

“Well, aren’t you a nice gentleman. Oh, you come alone?” I sipped the iced latte that just served to me. He nods, “Are you waiting for someone?” he questioned with curiosity written on his face. “Actually, I’m waiting for 2 persons. And I hope they are on their way.”

He softly laughed, “I hope your ‘persons’ will come soon. I’m gonna get going now. See you at school, Hailey.” He stood up and left the cafe for real.

Few minutes after the two came to the store with innocent looking face. “Don’t blame on me! Jooheon made us stop on the wrong station.” I smiled to the both of them. “1 iced mocha and 1 iced Americano, please. Thanks.” Jooheon made their both orders.

“So, I heard you got chosen for the school’s one-on-one program.” Jooheon continued. I told him about the program’s details. “I’d say every day after school or somewhat like that.” I need them to know this crucial part.

“We won’t have the after school ice-cream party anymore?” Jaehwa mimicked a sad face. “We won’t eat tteokbokki at the vendor anymore.” I sighed to their responds.

“Guys! You’re not attending my funeral, why would you guys be sad? Do you think that I’m that crazy to have the class every day after school?” I crossed my arms.

“Says the girl who won math Olympiad for the school last year.” And their drinks are finally here. I told them I will try to make my spare time with them and I can’t live another day with them. I’ll be crazy about it.

Jaehwa who sits next to me halt our conversation, “Hold on, so who’s your mentee?”

I shrugged, “That’s the big puzzle that I’m trying to solve right now. But the program will begin somewhere in few weeks. So, I’m not worried about it.”

They nod and I hope they understand it.

“Did Brian say anything?” Jooheon suddenly asked. I went surprise, “How did you ... Jaehwa! You tell him?” she giggled and barely asked for an apology.

I calm my nerves and loosen up my breath, “He can’t wait to see me soon.” They look at each other as if they’re planning something but I know these two is superb weird.

The Monday blues hit me again as I walk myself to the school this time. I entered the school compound and walk through the hallways for my locker. And why does my locker have to be on 2nd floor beside to the male changing room.

I dragged myself to the stairs and I felt the phone vibrated.

Are you in school? By the way, good morning :) - B

Yes, I’m on my way to my locker. Good morning to you too. – H

Great! I’m somewhere at the school compound. Where’s your locker? – B

211 – H

I walked passes the clubs’ bulletin board but my steps stop to the school track & field athletes’ hall of fame. My eyes advert to the 1977’s article where our school become the state’s champion for 3 times in a row.

And then I saw my father in his senior year as the school’s best high jump athlete. Well, I couldn’t deny that his height despite his longs legs helped him. And our genetics somehow spurts the best for height.

I touched the glass framed and dropped my hand by my side and walk the hallway. My eyes squinted to the boy leaned on my locker. Who is that? I begin to asked myself He was checking his watch and took a glimpse to his shoes.

His broad and lean figure made him look taller than average boys. His blonde pompadour swept elegantly to the back with his facial dropped down, his jaw line and everything still looks good.

I went nearer to his direction well actually my locker, “Excuse me ... “ I called in the lowest voice possible. “Hailey?” he stood up straight as he asked. My eyes locked to his dreamy hazelnut brown eyes and advert to his pearly whites.

I nodded sheepishly, “Oh, I’m sorry.” He give a way for me. I took my books and I could feel his stare right on my left. He slowly lean and watch me, “W-what ... are you doing?”

He giggled, “Nothing, just looking at you.”