Twelve

Reality

On the class notice board, my eyes advert to the important dates that were written by the class monitor. “I know, you all probably thinks this upcoming exam is not a big thing, but if you’re thinking of applying overseas or any fast track programs, you should be studying by now.” The teacher gave us a thin smile.

“From now onwards, I won’t teach new topics until the examination ends. I’ll just be here in the class, for any Q&A and extra drill questions can be asked.” We all kept a thin silence. Jaehwa whispered to me that almost every junior student having this situation. “I’m not sure whether the teacher is the one that’s worried or the students.” She continued.

“I guess the examination did worried everyone.” I softly sighed.

The last bell rung and I stood up with few books in my possession. “I’m gonna study at the library. I f you need anything, just text me. I mean, with my number.” Jaehwa giggled. “Aren’t you coming?” Jooheon walks into our direction.

“Where are we going?” both of us asked. He told me that he’s on his way to the library and review some notes. “I want to, but I can’t. The Judo instructor wants us to practice some techniques especially the kata-guruma.”

I looked at her in disbelief, “I have no idea what you’re talking about. And Jooheon, I’ll be going to the library too.” Jaehwa grunted and immediately bid us goodbye as her training will begin soon.

After the quick lunch, we sat ourselves at the empty chair near the glass window and set our books on the table. “Wait, what about Brian? The tutor thing.” Jooheon sounded in guilt. “I’ve already set his tutor class and it’s not today.”

I start with my Chemistry notes, facts and some questions to assist my mind. I heard a couple of times of sigh in front of me. “Are you okay?” I asked him in worried.

“This exam thing is making me feel unmanageable, like I didn’t even study for these couple of months.” I held his hand. “Calm yourself. Maybe, you wanna sleep for a while to ease your mind? It’s helpful though.”

He softly sighed and tapped something on his phone and lay his head on the table, “If my phone vibrates, wake me up okay?”

After few minutes, Jooheon joined me back in studying until we didn’t realize, the time passed to 5 o’clock and it’s very late. I packed my books in panic, “You want me to walk with you?” he offered as we walked out the school compound.

I shook my head, “I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure? Well, text or call me when you got home, alright?” I rushed myself to the nearest bus stop and sat at the window seat that’s nearer to the exit. After a few stops, I arrived at the station and the stars have already shown above my head.

I rushed again and stood in front of the house. I walked in and saw aunt sat on the coffee chair looking at the grandfather clock across the living room. “Do you know what time is it?” I kept myself quiet and hung my head low.

She stood up and walked towards my direction, “Answer me!” she slapped me across my ear and my tears automatically sprawled from the unbearable pain. I winced from the inside ear pain and couldn’t hear properly what she yelled in between. She grabbed my chin and forced me to face her, “Don’t you feel sorry or responsible for coming back late?”

I fell on the marbled floor from her sudden push. I wiped my wet cheeks with the back of my hand and bravely stood up. “I w-was studying.”

“Study? Don’t you ever lie to me, Hailey! You know, a girl like you seems like have to struggle to pass a minus C in a subject.” I sobbed harder.

“Stop crying!” another slap fell on my face. “Why didn’t you call me?!” she continued with her voice volume literally decrease a little bit. “I charged my phone last night and I forgot to unplug it to bring with me this morning.”

“Yeah, I noticed. I’ll be having your phone for now.” She waved my phone and glared directly into me. “What are you waiting for? Red carpet?! Go upstairs to your room and reflect all your mistakes!” she hardly kicked my bum and almost make my forehead hit the corner of the coffee table.

I slowly made my way upstairs and entered my room. I wiped my tears away and thought that dad never scold me like that. “I hope this will be a lesson for you, Hailey! And no dinner for you.” she yelled from downstairs.

I freshen myself and changed into pyjamas. I checked my face on the mirror and there are  I mention Jooheon on twitter through my iPod. He’s glad that I get to be at home. I pulled the duvet covers over my body and drifted into my fantasy land.

Later on that night, I heard a loud car engine noise from the outside. Who would make a loud noise in this peaceful neighbourhood? I tied my hair into high bun and walked to the window and peeked through my jet black venetian blind.

Since my room’s window faced the house’s garden, I became curious who came at this hour. I glanced back at the alarm clock on the side table and it was 2.31am. And I have school tomorrow. “Probably another neighbour mistakenly parked in front of the house again.” I mumbled and lay back on the bed with my face facing the ceiling since it still hurts.

The swollen effect hasn’t clear up. I sighed and slowly touched my cheek and it still hurts, badly. I applied the foundation slightly thick to cover up the slightly bruise right next to my eyebrow. I walked downstairs after the morning shower and checked myself on the mirror.

Aunt seems hasn’t woke up yet. I went to the fridge to take the milk until I heard a deep voice greeted, “Who are you?” I looked behind the kitchen counter, there was a man look like in his early 30s with untrimmed hair, like really messy.

“Hailey.”

“Ah, you’re the nice that Sung Ryung mentioned about. I’m her boyfriend.” He offered a handshake. I placed the cereal bowl on the table and went to the kitchen counter and grabbed the nuts on the bottom shelf.

“Could you make me something for me? Like coffee and breakfast any would do.” He continued. “I could make you some omelette.” I walked to the pan and broke 2 eggs into a bowl and beat with few minced veggies and mayonnaise.

I felt he walked behind me and placed the coffee mug beside the sink. His arms suddenly encircled my waist and pulled nearer to his body. He sniffed my hair and blown slightly into my right ear, “You smell nice.” And that just made me cringed.

Suddenly, I heard aunt’s footsteps directly into the kitchen and smiled to me like nothing had happen last night. “I see you have met each other.” they kissed intimately in front of me. Please get a room!

I served the omelette separately into 2 plates and sat in front that guy awkwardly. “Kwang Joon, this is Hailey. Hailey, this is Kwang Joon; my boyfriend.” More like a ert guy that almost kissed me and wild oestrogen. He winked seductively at me when aunt isn’t looking.

“This is nice!” aunt praised. “I’d say, you should make breakfast from now on. Don’t you think, Hailey?” she continued.

“Well, I could help ...” I simply nodded. “Every day, okay?” Wait, what? I shrugged and placed the bowl into the sink and sling my bag and walked to the door.  “Text me, if you’re coming late!” she warned nicely as I shut the main door.

During the 3rd period, I went to the chemistry lab for some experiments on metals, metal oxide and such. This time, students are required to write the lab report after each experiment. And since I already have my draft, this will be a lot easier for me.

“Do you have that tutor thing today?” Jaehwa on her elbow asked playfully on my left. “Yeah, why?” I asked as I continued to tabulate the data.

“Can we come?” both Jooheon and Jaehwa asked. I looked at them, “I’m not sure if you can, it’s kinda personal though.” I tapped the pen on my chin and recalled few rules and regulations. It doesn’t state though, but with these two, it’ll be chaos.

“By the way, is it me or your face look swelled today?” Jaehwa narrowed the distance between us to have a clearer look. I pushed her question with a question, “What you mean? Swelled? Everything’s fine. I had my good night sleep.” I shrugged and continued my lab report.

She is still observing my face, “I think you’ll puncture a big hole on my face from that stare.” She sighed but still won’t budge.

“Jaehwa, please return to your seat!” the lab teacher warned her.

After school ends, I met Brian on my way to my locker. “I’ll wait for you at the science garden, okay?” he smiled and walked passed me. We started with history and simple quizzes would do for him about the world wars.

“Who is Napoleon?” he asked. “He’s the French military and political leader who rose to prominence during French revolution and led several successful campaigns during the Revolutionary wars.”

‘What about him? Mussolini?”

I explained to him few things regarding World War II and thankfully he showed interest into it. I guided him in few questions and left with few works and started my homeworks before I continue with physics.

I could felt his glare at me after he told me that he finished with the quizzes. The same glare he gave me when I met him the first time at my locker but this time is slightly deeper. “Why are you looking at me? No, why are you staring at me?” I asked without looking at him.

“Besides that you’re truly gorgeous, could you tell me what happen?” I looked at him, “What did happen?”

“I t must be hurtful, right? You can’t hide the bruise under the make-up, Hailey.” He suddenly caressed both of my cheeks and I blushed madly. “What do you mean? Nothing happen.” I shook his hands away.

I tried to held the pain from his touch on my cheeks, “Your face looks swollen to me despite the purple bruise at your right eyebrow. Tell me, what happen, Hailey.”

“I told you, nothing.” I defend my words.

He held my hands and poked me with questions that even myself couldn’t thought about it, “Brian, don’t you understand? I’m fine.” He released his grip to my sudden anger burst. I grunted and pinched my temples.

“I’m sorry ... I went over the limit, didn’t I?” he said in his deep voice. “I’m sorry for yelling at you.” I softly sighed at him. Later on, things went slightly awkward but it gets back to normal.


Hey guys! I'm back from Singapore and well, this is my update to you. Hope you like it and comment below, yeah?