Boogeyman

Fanxing/Kray Drabbles

Boogeyman


It has been a long day for Yixing and the kids but they have another hour to trek to the airport to pick up Yifan. It is quiet in the car, much like how it always is. Shixun is seated on the passenger seat while An Xin is seated alone in the middle row, eyes watching the changing scenery as they drive through the city. Usually the kid would be giddy and have his face stuck to the window or squeeze himself in the space over the center console so he can tell the events of his day in school to Yixing. But he is just quietly sitting there, eyes widening at a few signs from time to time but never brightening like they always would.

When they reach the airport, the whole family welcomes Yifan back. Usually, it would just be An Xin and Yixing, with Shixun having to stay back for basketball practice or hanging out at his friends instead of picking his father up. Yixing and Shixun both look at An Xin who has been gripping the hem of Yixing’s shirt ever since they got out of the car. His eyes have been wide in alert and he’s been turning his head to every direction possible.

“What’s up with you?” Shixun takes it upon himself to ask his younger brother when he sees his father just worry his bottom lip. The younger doesn’t answer him though and just cowers even more behind Yixing.

An Xin has never been afraid of being outside and seeing people around him so it worries Yixing that his son is suddenly acting all afraid of the people around him. When they see Yifan come out of the gate, they welcome him with bright smiles, at least Yixing does. Shixun just waves at his father and An Xin does the same. 

The ride home was silent, Yifan just asked how their kids were, how school was then he immediately fell into the claws of exhaustion and fell asleep on the passenger seat.

Dinner was of the same nature and after giving his children their presents and souvenirs from his travels, Yifan retires to bed, fatigue wearing his eyes out. He feels the mattress dip and he turns around expecting it to be Yixing but the body he had under his arm is smaller. When he opens his eyes, he’s surprised to find An Xin holding on to the latest dragon plushie that Yifan bought for him. 

The kid has started sleeping in his own room when he turned four and has never once slept beside his parents ever since, asserting his own little independence. 

They don’t speak for a while, father and son just looking at each other’s eyes.

“What’s going on here?” They hear Yixing’s voice before he closes the door shut.

“Baba, I’m sorry.” An Xin apologizes, struggling to get out of bed but Yifan already has him in his embrace, pulling the kid to his chest.

“Wu An Xin, there’s nothing be sorry about.” Yixing says as he sits on the bed close to his husband and son. Yifan mutters something about how his husband is right. “Why are you acting so weird?” The child fiddles the hem of his pyjama shirt, lips moving from side to side and Yixing can see the fear in his eyes.

“Son, say something.” Yixing cups their son’s face. “You’re making Baba and Daddy worried.” An Xin meets Yixing’s eyes before looking at Yifan. He then rests his eyes on the flat screen tv in his parents’ room.

“I’m afraid.” An Xin never admits he is scared of anything, that’s a profound development.

“Of what, baby?” Yixing asks, worry at the edge of his voice.

“The Boogeyman.” 

Yifan knows he shouldn’t laugh and that this is a serious situation for their son but he couldn’t help the snort he let out after stopping the laugh midway to his throat. This earns him a slap on the arm from his husband and eyes full of hurt from his son.

“But that isn’t real, baby.” Yixing diverts their son’s attention to him again.

“But…” An Xin tries to make a point but it dies in his throat.

“You’re smarter than this, baby.” Yixing pats down his hair with a fond smile on his face. “When you grow up you’ll realize that the Boogeyman is far gentler than the things you really should be afraid of.”

When Yifan hears this, he raises an eyebrow and shoots Yixing a look, saying: “Don’t you think it’s too early to give him life lessons? I mean, six, Yixing?”

“Better early than sorry.” The younger answers as he tucks An Xin in.

“But you can sleep here tonight if you want, I’m sure daddy won’t mind, right?” Yifan had different plans in mind, being two weeks away from his husband but he easily figures out that this is Yixing’s way of punishing him for laughing at their child’s misery. So he accepts and hugs An Xin even tighter.

“Of course,” Yifan throws Yixing a look as if telling him he’s not backing down, “I missed my little An Xin anyway.” Yixing just chuckles and lets his husband think he’s affected by it. Then they all called it a night, neatly tucked and squeezed together.

Yifan and Yixing couldn’t sleep so easily though and kept talking almost the whole night about the elder’s travels that An Xin ended up walking out and sleeping in his own room. Boogeyman be damned, he doesn’t think he can stomach his dad’s cheesy lines any longer.

 

 


A/N: Shi Yue An Xin is the Chinese name of Anson :) The child actor who looks like Yixing ;)