Cue That Jet Plane Song

A Beautiful Mess

 

"Like this day couldn't get any worse. I'm not getting home in one piece, am I?" I muttered to Yunho.
 
We were finally left alone by Yoochun, Junsu and Changmin. After a lengthy brainstorming session, they left to give The Jaejoong Search another go. Despite the mind-busting, we were unable to draw a conclusion. We were still clueless as to where the hell Jaejoong was. I expect their search to be total failure.
 
Changmin said he'd call if Jaejoong would contact him. That didn't give me any kind of peace at all.
 
"Right now what matters is he's not here and we're alone." Yunho wrapped his arms around me. We were looking out of his balcony and into the Seoul afternoon sun. The autumn season was fast approaching and the air was getting cooler each day.
 
I planted a kiss on his cheek and laid my hands over his. Somehow I felt lighter despite the drama of today.
 
"I'll miss you." He buried his face against the side of my neck. I could feel him breathing. "I'll miss you so much."
 
"I'll miss you too." That was an understatment. Saying all the descriptive adjectives in the superlative degree would not suffice my true feelings toward how much I'd miss Jung Yunho. "I'm leaving my heart with you, Yunho."
 
I lifted one of my hands to touch his head. He laid his palm over it and brought it to his lips. He kissed my wrist. He breathed in against my forearm, closing his eyes and kissing the skin closest to his lips. "You already have mine." He whispered against my skin.
 
I turned to face him and took him in my arms. He did the same, only his embrace was tighter. I could hear his heart beating and his breathing going steady.
 
"What will I do without you, Mi?" He said. "Promise me you'll always think of me. Because I'll always be thinking of you. I'm just a phone call away. I'll call you everyday, I swear."
 
"I promise to always think of you." I smiled. "And to pick up."
 
He loosened his grip and held me at an arm's length. He touched the locket around my neck then looked me straight in the eyes. He came closer, lifting my chin and gently laying a kiss on my lips. He pulled away. The sun shone against his dark brown hair and gave his eyes extra intensity. He tucked a lock of hair behind my ear then kissed my lips again a few more seconds than before. He broke the kiss and smiled sweetly before sweeping me off my feet to carry me in his strong, solid arms.
 
I laughed as he tried to dodge Typhoon who seemed to be trying to get Yunho to feed him again. We reached the bedroom and Yunho kicked the door shut.
 
...
 
I woke up with the sun shining brightly through a small gap between the curtains. I could tell it was slowly rising. Today is the day I dread the most. I wished for last night to last forever but I guess it didn't come true.
 
I traced a line on Yunho's chest with my finger. We were both bare under the sheets. I lost count of the number of times we had done it. We fell asleep exhausted but deeply satisfied. I closed my eyes and got flashbacks of probably the greatest night of my life to date.
 
Jung Yunho remained completely still. Only his chest was moving as he breathed. He was so calm and peaceful. I remember watching him sleep that morning we were leaving Haeundae. I smiled upon the thought.
 
I checked on his alarm clock on the sidetable. 6:00am. The flight leaves at two in the afternoon... minus three hours for check-in, inspections, customs and boarding. I had five hours left with him.
 
I tightened my embrace around his solid, warm body as if he was about to fade away. I didn't want to let go. His skin was smooth and soft. I grazed my leg over his. I felt him slightly shake when my knee touched on his crotch. Not wanting to wake him, I stopped. But it was too late.
 
"You're getting me worked up so early in the morning, Mi." His voice was more huskier and more sensual.
 
"Sorry." I smiled apologetically.
 
He smiled back. "Good morning."
 
"Good morning to you too." I mounted on him. His smile grew wider. I leaned in to kiss him, giggling to myself. His hands got a grip on either side of my hips. His touch sent electricity through my veins.
 
"You're a morning person." He laughed against my lips.
 
"Yeah. So?" I continued to kiss him, travelling south from his mouth to his neck. I something graze between my thighs then a rather harsh (yet seemingly smooth) . A moan was forced out of my throat, it was barely human.
 
"How's your day so far?" He whispered huskily into my ear. "Thanks for the jumpstart."
 
And the rest was pretty much still too amazing to be true.
 
I got in the showers first. He said he'd be out to get us breakfast and he assured me my safety. No Jaejoong attacks today please.
 
I finished in thirty minutes and got dressed in fifteen. The morning's 'head start' made me feel less lazy so I took fresh clothes out of one of the suitcases. Still no Yunho. Have I grown so attached to him that I'm missing him already after he left less than an hour ago?
 
I sat on the edge of the bed to wear my shoes when Typhoon came running in the room. I ran my hands through the fur on his head and behind his ears. I was going to miss this. We didn't have a dog at home. I didn't have Yunho at home either. I don't have Junsu. I don't have Changmin.
 
I was kind of glad I didn't have Jaejoong. No questions asked.
 
I couldn't imagine how my life would be when I get back to the States. I had an idea though. I could try to apply for the University of Seoul while I'm there so I could continue my college here. Or I could be an exchange student for one semester. I'd work on that but I wouldn't tell Yunho. It'd be a surprise.
 
Yunho came back with rice and kimchi. Classic. He really won't make me forget my Korean roots. During breakfast we didn't speak about my soon departure but I knew he could tell that I was keeping a close eye on the time. I had three hours left. I kissed his cheek after he told me he'd take a shower. I was left in the kitchen so I cleaned up.
 
I sat on the living room couch staring at the wide windows in front of me. Yunho got a perfect view of Seoul. In every window, you'd see the beauty of the city regardless of the time. I studied the place one last time. It was still as messy as the first time I came here. I still remember seeing Yunho in a towel, fresh out of the shower and looking so freaking hot I forgot why I was here in the first place.
 
I remember first meeting Typhoon. I remember kissing Yunho. I remember making love to him for the first time. I remember watching My Sassy Girl while eating noodles. I remember wrestling with him for my picture. I remember his darkroom. I remember him giving me a locket.
 
I felt like crying but I stopped myself when I heard Yunho's steps in the hallway.
 
"All set? Yoochun just called. He said we have to drop by your Halmuni's. We're using Debbie. Let's get your things." He smiled. I smiled back. He took a few steps towards me, took me in his arms and kissed me. "It's going to be fine."
 
"I know." I whispered the lie. Of course it's not going to be fine.
 
We were never an inch apart until we got in the car. We shared a comfortable silence during the fifteen-minute ride. When we got to Halmuni's front door, Yoochun had already been waiting.
 
"Hold it." Yoochun said before laying his hands on my shoulders and studying every inch of me for some freaked out big brother reason. "Your arm is completely healed?" He asked.
 
I checked on my arm and saw nothing but my watch and a light scab. I nodded to confirm. I couldn't understand how I healed so quickly but I bet it was because of Yunho's first aid skills... or that I was so much in love that it had literally healed my wounds.
 
"Yoochun ah, stop the interrogation and let them come in." Halmuni said from a distance. Yoochun did as he was told, giving me and Yunho a glare of suspicion.
 
We got to the living room and saw that Halmuni had a new coffe table. On top of it was a throw pillow with a sleeping Mang-doongie on top. Changmin was busy taking pictures of his dog-child with his phone while Junsu sat on the couch watching in horror and disgust.
 
"Obssessed, much?" I teased Changmin as I sat next to the shuddering Junsu. Changmin simply hushed me, not once taking his eyes off his cellphone's screen.
 
"Stop it, man. Seriously." Yunho plopped down next to me. Changmin paid him no mind and Junsu twitched violently.
 
"Let him be. He's having fun. How long has it been since the divorce?" Yoochun joined in.
 
"It wasn't a divorce!!" Changmin had raised his voice too much that it woke Mang-doongie. The tiny dog jumped off the pillow and onto the table before stretchinf her hind legs with a yawn. Changmin was quick to capture the moment.
 
"You could be a photographer too just like Yunho here." Halmuni finally came into view. She had two coffee mugs with her and offered to me and Yunho.
 
"No gallery in this planet would want to showcase a million pictures of the same dog, Halmuni." Junsu spoke. Junsu threw the pillow on the table at him. Junsu yelled and stuck his tongue out in disgust.
 
"Ah kids." Halmuni sighed with a wide smile. "You've all grown but your actions haven't quite changed."
 
"I'm mature!" Junsu raised his arms in the air. "I'm a model! M-O-D-E-L!"
 
Yoochun and Changmin clapped their hands in a slow, rythmic pattern. "He knows how to spell!" Changmin said, shaking his head.
 
"What do you take me for?!" Junsu had thrown the pillow back at Changmin but the younger was quick to avoid it with his karate chop-spatula move.
 
I was laughing hysterically. Mang-doongie jumped on my lap and looked up at me. "Your dog-child needs fatherly attention." I picked up the white furball and gave her to Changmin. He sat down on the lone cushioned chair and placed Mang-doongie on his lap.
 
These are good times... great times, actually. Peace. Laughter. The usual insults and banter. I miss it already. Seeing my best friends smile and laugh is enough of a parting present. Feeling the love of my life's hand holdong mine is priceless. Hearing my grandmother's sweet voice is like being home.
 
~*~*~
It was around 10:45am and we were inside the Incheon Airport. My luggage was on a big metal pushcart just waiting to be towed away. What was once happy and lifted just turned sad and down. Yoochun gave Junsu a big hug and didn't let go for about five seconds. He bumped fists with Changmin as the younger held his shoulders. He embraced Halmuni, giving her a gentle kiss on the cheek. He took Yunho in his arms and whispered something that made him smile and say "Of course."
 
Junsu hugged me. I hugged him back, trying hard not to break down in tears. "You take care, okay?" He said in a soft voice.
 
He was later replaced by Changmin. "Mang-doongie and I will miss you."
 
"Don't worry, Sunmi. We'll still be taking good care you even from here." Junsu nodded. "Yunho hyung will always be under our watchful eyes."
 
I smiled and took them both in my arms. "I'll miss you guys." I whispered.
 
Halmuni came towards me and wrapped her arms around me. "Eat well, Mi. Tell your mom and dad I said hi." She let me go, holding my shoulders at an arm's length. "You've grown so much." She started tearing up. I held her close, choking back tears of my own.
 
"I'll stay safe, Halmuni. You take care too." I smiled. Halmuni gave way to Yunho. He had his hands in his pockets as he stared blankly at me. Halmuni forced Yoochun, Junsu and Changmin to stay a good distance away from us.
 
Yunho gave an exasperated sigh. "How does this go in movies again?" he chuckled awkwardly.
 
"Who cares, really." I said. He took a few steps towards me but it was enough to turn the space between us into nothing.
 
"I love you, Park Sunmi." He looked into my eyes as he said so... his brown, hazel eyes. His ever-so enchanting stare told my soul that he wasn't only saying the truth but he was also vowing to a promise. "Don't ever forget that I love you... I will always love you, Mi. I'll be waiting for you." He laid his lips gently upon mine.
 
I kissed him back, holding him close. I pushed myself further against him to relish the warmth between us. I could feel tears streaming down my eyes as we kissed. He parted his lips from mine to caress my tears away.
 
"I love you too, Yunho." I wrapped my arms around him as tightly as I could. "I love you so much." I barely spoke audibly but I knew he could hear me.
 
I felt him shake as he returned my embrace a thousand times more. He kissed my lips again... one last time.
 
Yunho took a step back. I could see that his eyes were glistening as tears began to pool underneath the his affixed gaze. I continued to stare at Yunho as he slowly moved further away. I had no intentions of letting go of his hands... but I had to. His fingers slipped from mine and at that moment...
 
my heart had left my soul while his heart filled in for the missing piece.
 
 Yoochun was walking towards me. He joined my side and held my shoulder as Yunho was joined my the boys and Halmuni. Everyone waved good-bye except for Yunho.
 
He just stood there... smiling as tears fell from his eyes. I was afraid of turning away. I was afraid of going back home. I was leaving. I left my heart with him... and his heart was with me. I smiled back at him.
 
"I LOVE YOU, SUNMI!" he yelled from across the airport floor. He waved as hard he could, still smiling and crying.
 
I laughed softly, blowing him a kiss.
 
'What's up, Sunmi? Miss me?'
 
This isn't good-bye.
 
'Score one for me, Yunho the Ninja'
 
This...
 
'I'm in love with the most beautiful, most talented, most intelligent girl I have ever met in my life.'
 
is...
 
'It used to be the sunset. But now I've found something better. You.'
 
just...
 
'I love seeing you like this.'
 
the...
 
'I'm here, Sunmi.'
 
beginning.