Magic

A Beautiful Mess

“Worst fear?”
“Anything creepy and crawly. I hate cockroaches.”
“Oh yeah… you hate it when they fly. Favorite book?”
“Anything but fantasy and sci-fi.”
“Okay. Favorite movie?”
“Closer.”
“Ah. The Julia Roberts movie. Childhood idol?”
“H.O.T.”

I wasn’t playing 20 Questions. I wasn’t playing at all. I was having a conversation. Don’t all dates go this way? We were finally out of Yunho’s apartment. Even though I have concluded that I can live without civilization for as long as I had Yunho, we still needed to get some fresh air. As we walked hand in hand along the crowded streets of busy Seoul, we talked and talked and talked. Most of the time Yunho was asking the questions and I was answering.

“H.O.T.? The one with Kangta in it?”
“Yep. Surprise, surprise.”
“I’ve always been an NRG fan.”
“They’ve long been dead, Yunho. H.O.T. is still very much alive. They kept their promise… they ARE the future.”
“NRG is far from dead even though they lost a member. They’re the Korean Wave pioneers!”
“Yoochun oppa went crazy during their concert! I think he even got screen time on one of their music videos!”

I miss my brother. I miss his overprotective, control-freak episodes. I miss his insane way of rationalizing. I miss his screams. I even miss being yelled at by him. I want him to pop up out of nowhere and reprimand me saying ‘What the hell are you doing?! You could get lost in this place! And why are you holding hands with Yunho hyung?! You could get pregnant!’ God… how I miss Yoochun.

“Yoochun is crazy, Sunmi. I think it was because he drank too much strawberry milk.”
“I drank strawberry milk too!”
“Ah. No wonder…”

I slapped Yunho’s arm playfully. He simply looked at me and smiled. “I guess I like crazy girls.” He said.

“Sunmi! Yah! SUNMI! Over there! Yah, wait!! SUNMI!”

My heart fell to my stomach. I didn’t know if it was shock or panic. Yunho and I turned around. And as expected, we saw Junsu. He was pushing his way through the crowd as he waved his arms in the air to signal for us to stop.

He didn’t have to… we were paralyzed in our places.

How could he have found us? Is he with anybody else?

“Hyung…” Changmin appeared in the crowd.

Jesus ing Christ. I’m dead…

The four of us were the only immobile creatures on the sidewalk. I checked if I was still breathing and if my heart was still beating. . I’m going to die. I’ve been caught. I’ll be forced to leave early. I’ll have to leave Yunho. No. Oh God… hell no. Not Yunho.

“Where have you been, Sunmi? Yoochun’s worried sick!” Junsu said.

Was I supposed to answer that? I can’t even move my lips.

“She’s been with me. In my apartment.” Yunho answered for me.

“And you’ve been doing what?” Changmin asked. Junsu was already taking his phone out of his pocket. Yunho grabbed his hand and took his phone.

“I’m keeping this for a while.” Yunho said then gestured to Changmin’s pocket. “Yours too.”

Changmin took his phone out and slapped it on Yunho’s hand. As Yunho kept the confiscated items he said: “No one tells anybody where nobody is.”

I was still silent. All that was in my head was that I was screwed.

Big time.

~*~*~
I’ve hated this café from the moment I set foot in it. Why isn’t there a Starbucks around Seoul that isn’t jam-packed? I thought Starbucks was downsizing. It hurts to be wrong…

And why the hell do we have to sit on the exact same spot?!

My hands were shaking like hell. Why am I nervous? It’s just Changmin and Junsu. The worst they can do is kill me… which they won’t. Hopefully.

“We’re out to look for Sunmi to get Yoochun to shut up, that’s it. Jaejoong and Jooeun haven’t showed up since the day Sunmi left. So that. All we really care about is for Yoochun’s mouth to stop blabbering about how worried he is about his sister and how he’s going to kill whoever is hiding her. It’s freaking annoying. You should hear him cry too. He sounds like a cat having the of his life.” Changmin said.

“What do you mean Jaejoong and Jooeun haven’t showed up yet?” Yunho asked.

“We mean we haven’t seen them since Sunmi left. Now can I please get my phone back? I need to call my agent.” Junsu held out his hand. Yunho took the tiny jar of sugar from the small tray on the edge of the table and placed it on Junsu’s hand.

“Use that in the mean time.” Yunho said. Junsu actually raised the jar to his ear.

I stifled a laugh. That just kills…

“Yunho hyung, Sunmi. Seriously--” Changmin began… then a loud tap on the glass caught him.

Holy crackerjacks in a Goldfish box… it’s my brother from hell.

“YAH?!?” Yoochun said in a muffled scream. He darted for the entrance. I stood to run for my life but I figured I couldn’t so I just stood there frozen. There’s no escape from Park Yoochun… the Godzilla version.

Everyone on the table fell silent. Their eyes were all wide open and jaws on the floor. I gulped. I will be publicly humiliated for the nth time in my life by the same person. From missing Yoochun like mad, I now felt like I wanted him to disappear into smoke.

‘Go away now. Please, go away. If you really want to yell, do it some place else. Not here, not now…’ I prayed to whoever was listening… a saint, an angel, Mother Mary, Jesus… maybe God, G_d, Buddha or Elvis.

“Sunmi ah…” Yoochun pulled me close for a hug… like I was gone forever.

Thank you! I sighed a breath of relief and hugged my brother back.

“Don’t you ever do that again, you hear me?” Yoochun pulled me to his side then pointed at Yunho. “And you! You’ve been hiding her! I’d kill you right now if only I weren’t so tired! What have you been doing to her?!”

“Oppa, it’s only been like… a day and a half.” I tried to defend.

“That’s still a day and half of you out of my sight. Yunho hyung… you maybe my ‘hyung’ but when it comes to my sister, you’re my . So you do as I say and you don’t do what I don’t say. Got that… hyung?” Yoochun said still pointing at Yunho.

“You’re making a scene. Sit the hell down.” I whispered into Yoochun’s ear. He complied, still glaring at Yunho. Yoochun now sat between me and Yunho. I leaned against the table to mouth ‘Are you okay?’ to Yunho. He nodded and smiled sweetly.

“Yoochun oppa, I’m so sorry I left--” I began but Yoochun started to blabber again.

“It wasn’t your fault, Sunmi. But why come running to Yunho hyung? I thought you hated him.” he asked.

‘Why Yunho?’ That’s a good question.

“First off, I never hated him that much and second… he’s all I’ve got…” I admitted.

“All you’ve got? Sunmi. I’m your oppa. You will always have me. I didn’t know anything about Jaejoong hyung and Jooeun sshi either. I feel your pain.”
“You have no freaking idea.”
“I was hurt too. That’s what I meant. I know you’re hurting more than I am. All I want and need you to do is to find it in your heart to forgive Jaejoong hyung and Jooeun sshi.”
“Have you?”

Silence.

“I have, Sunmi. People make mistakes. Jaejoong hyung still cares about you.” Yoochun replied, followed by Yunho’s sarcastic scoff.

Everyone ignored Yunho’s nonverbal response. I didn’t know if it was because he couldn’t think of a smart comeback or because all Yoochun’s statement was worth was a mere scoff by Jung Yung Yunho.

Priceless.

“Yunho hyung, can I talk to you for a second?” Yoochun said. Yunho shrugged and stood then walked to a far corner followed by Yoochun. I didn’t allow my eyes to wander anywhere else but their backs. I’m not a brilliant lip reader but I could see Yoochun’s mouth say ‘What have you been doing?’.

“You and Yunho hyung were on a date, weren’t you?” Changmin spoke.

I stared at him with awe. How could he have known?

“You were holding hands. We saw you.” Junsu pried further.

“I have no idea what you guys are talking about.” I denied. The secret to avoidance is denial.

“You’ve slept with him too, right? That was pretty quick.” Changmin forced.

“I would never sleep with Yunho!” I lied. The secret to denial is lying.

“Oh but you did…” Junsu insisted.

I’m on the verge of giving up now. I could feel my face turning red. No, no, no! Stupid cheeks! Don’t blush!

Changmin gasped and pointed at me. Oh God, the worst has come. Shim Changmin’s gasp is never a good thing. Then he smiled a sly smile…

“You love him!” Changmin declared but only for our table to hear. Junsu started to giggle uncontrollably and Changmin didn’t stop smiling.

Godit! It’s the end of the world! I’m so dead.

.

“Alright, Sunmi. Yunho hyung and I have made a pact. You can stay at Yunho hyung’s flat until the end of our visit but I’ll be dropping by whenever I can: announced or unannounced.” Yoochun said as he took his place back next to me. I fixed my gaze at my brother. What did he just say? Yunho winked at me and smiled.

“You’re letting her go?!” Junsu protested. “After two days of searching the entire city, you’re letting Sunmi go?! I’m supposed to be surrounded by hot model girls right now for an underwear shoot but I said I can’t because I had to help you look for you--” Junsu was cut short by Changmin’s hand over his mouth.

“How about Jaejoong hyung and Jooeun sshi?” Changmin asked.

“Jaejoong will come back soon. He can’t be gone for long. As for Jooeun, she might go back to Japan. Don’t worry, Changmin.” Yunho said.

Junsu squirmed out of Changmin’s hold. “Give me my phone back, Yunho hyung! I need to call my agent!” Junsu demanded. Yunho gave him his cellphone back and Junsu started dialing like mad. He also gave Changmin's phone back.

“We’ve obviously interrupted you, Sunmi. I’m sorry, dongsaeng. Changmin, Junsu. Let’s go.” Yoochun stood up and kissed the top of my head. “If he gets you knocked up, I swear to God, Sunmi, I will have him killed.” He whispered to me.

A very excited Junsu started to walk to the exit with a very happy Changmin in tow. Yoochun smiled at me and mouthed ‘I love you’ followed by a blow of a kiss. Junsu waved at me and yelled “I’m going to Model Heaven, baby!”

I felt Yunho’s arm slide across my back. He pulled me close so I could lean on his shoulder. He breathed in deeply then exhaled.

“What did you tell Yoochun?” I asked him.

“Nothing.” He answered then maneuvered to face me. He cupped my chin and looked deep into my eyes. “He’s finally understood how I really felt about you.” He kissed me softly on the lips. The thought of us being in a public place slipped through my mind. I held him close until I couldn’t breathe anymore. I pulled away for air and to see his face.

And that’s when I knew... that the world isn’t as unfair or as ed up as everyone says it is. Sure, it’s a hole… but really… it just depends on exactly what pit you’re in: One where you stand alone or one where you’re with someone you love.

It was a miracle actually. I was standing in my hole, all alone, wishing I wasn’t there and whining about how messed up life was. Then this weird, really tall, rather tan, absolutely gorgeous man tripped and fell into my pit. He said: “I’m in love with the most beautiful, most talented, most intelligent girl I have ever met in my life.”

I wasn’t alone anymore.

~*~*~
I leaned against the elevator wall farthest from Yunho. He had a ridiculous smirk on his face. It was freaking me out like hell. He let out a slight laugh then adjusted his stance and continued to stare.

“What?!” I demanded.

“You don’t look like your brother. There are a few similarities but, overall you two don’t look like siblings. Though you both have some anger management issues and overreaction tendencies… you’re both a little paranoid too.” He replied.

“Congratulations. You’re dating a psychochick who has an equally psychotic brother.” I came back on him.

“And you both can give amazing -blocking comebacks.” Then he paused. “I just realized how wrong and ironic that sounds on your part. -blocking… I don’t remember getting my co--”

“You !” I slapped him with my purse. The elevator went ‘ding’ then the doors opened to the flat.

“My brother told me he’d kill you if I got knocked up.” I told Yunho as I walked out of the elevator and set foot in the apartment proper. I dropped my purse on the side table and took a quick look in the mirror above it. Yunho came into view and hugged me from behind, setting his chin on my shoulder.

“Picture perfect.” He smiled and kissed my cheek. “But something’s missing…”

He waved his hand and took out a picture of a younger version of me and him on the swings. It was a lame magic trick but he made it look amazing and original. He held it next to his face and said, “In time… we’ll get these two beautiful creatures back on earth. Only this time, they’ll be siblings. I wanna have a daughter that looks just like you – okay, make that ‘daughters’. With an S.”

“Whoa. Turn down the heat in ‘pressure’ cooker.” I joked and he laughed.

“Look at us. It’s too bad you had to go to prom without me. It must’ve been really hard on you.” He jested.

“Oh it was!” I bantered. I turned around to face him. “I can’t imagine life without you now. I know… ridiculous, huh? Not to mention cheesy. But it’s all true.”

“You know what’s cheesier and more ridiculous than that?” Yunho asked. “I love you.”