the one condition

Once is a Coincidence, Twice is Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

03. the one condition

"You'll do... anything?"

Nayeon was about to say yes when she suddenly saw the different look in Mina's eye. It was a look of expectancy, seriousness, and determination. That scared Nayeon for she didn't like to make promises or commit to anything. She was often known for chickening out, especially when someone was expecting the impossible from her. Nayeon wouldn't call it a cowardly act; she thinks it's better to give up early than to give someone false hope and eventually give up anyway.

"Well, it depends..." Nayeon timidly mumbled. Mina's expression brightened, realizing that her plan was not bad. She'll finally be able to shake this girl off. She was 100% sure that Nayeon could never do what she was about to request.

"Okay here, I'll tell you my condition first. If you think you can do it, then I'm all for it. But if you think it's impossible, it's fine with me if you don't want to do it. BUT, that just means that you'll stop bothering me and we'll never talk again unless it's related to school."

Nayeon felt like the two bookshelves were slowly trapping her to the point of feeling claustrophobic. She was stuck between two walls, symbolically and literally. She kept silent for a minute that felt like an hour until she finally made the hardest decision of her life.

"Okay, tell me."

"If you get an A on our next chemistry test, I'll be your friend."

Nayeon lost it from "if you get an A"; she burst out into laughter because of how absurd it was. Did Mina even know who she was talking to? She was asking a delinquent, who skips class whenever she feels like it and doesn't even do her homework, to get an A on a test. Once Nayeon calmed down, she cast a glance at Mina who remained unfazed by her laughter. She had a serious expression on which made Nayeon suddenly feel nervous of the truth she was trying to avoid. "Are you actually serious?"

Mina nodded and Nayeon just gave her a dumbfounded look.

"Do you even know what you're asking from me?" 

Mina nodded again, not even trying to encourage Nayeon in the slightest bit. She felt bad for thinking this, but she knew Nayeon couldn't do it; that's the reason why Mina confidently offered this condition anyway. 

"Mina, how about something else? I can buy you a cup of coffee every day, I'll even give you free massages during class! I can even supply you with a year's worth of pencils that I never use! If you want, I'll add a bonus package of lined paper-"

"All I want is for you to get an A; it's that simple. Now if you can't do it, then-"

"I'll do it."

Mina felt her heart skip a beat when she heard Nayeon's serious tone. For the first time, she saw Nayeon give her a sincere look of determination. She found this attractive for some reason.

"But... I have one condition. Since this favor is extremely unfair on my side, I want you to tutor me everyday after school until our test which is a week from now."

Mina shrugged, feeling confident that Nayeon won't even get an A with her help.

"Fine with me," Mina uninterestedly spoke. Nayeon extended her hand, "Promises are promises. I hope you don't take back your words when I do get an A."

Sure, you'll get an A. I should be saying that to you. Mina thought confidently.

"And if you don't get an A, you'll stay away from me."

Nayeon nodded, not wanting to think of that particular possibility, "So are we starting now?"

"Not today. I still have a ton of homework to do. I'll tutor you tomorrow," Mina spoke in a rush, heading off to the librarian to ask for the chemistry book she originally planned to borrow.

"Sorry Miss, we're all out." 

Mina looked at the librarian in disbelief, "W-what? How come?" She asked, not wanting to make her disappointment obvious to the innocent librarian. 

"We only had two copies and they've been missing since forever. However, the school did order three new copies from the book seller and they're supposed to come next month."

Mina nodded silently. "Okay.. thanks anyway," She politely responded before going back to the table where Nayeon was still sitting. The older girl was staring at her reflection from the front camera of he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter