the one who waits

Once is a Coincidence, Twice is Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

16. the one who waits

(continuing on from the last chapter...)

"Can I kiss you?"

"..."

Dahyun just stared at Momo, not knowing how to respond. A part of her was confused at why she couldn't say no. Speak Dahyun, speak.

"I.." Dahyun randomly blurted out but suddenly the corner of her eye caught sight of Nayeon standing at the door.

"Um... Am I interrupting something?"

Dahyun blinked rapidly and shook her head, "N-no, I was just..."

She glanced at Momo who had her eyes fixated on the ground- most likely out of disappointment. She cleared , "...taking care of her cut."

"Oh" was all Nayeon could say.

"But she's okay now. Right Momo?" Dahyun stared her down in a very intimidating way that Momo couldn't say no to.

"Yeah, thanks." Momo awkwardly replied.

Nayeon approached Dahyun and held her hand, "Let's go?" Dahyun nodded without hesitation and left the kitchen without glancing back one last time.

~~~

12 AM. Mina and Nayeon were in their room, trying to compose their expressions and voice control. They nodded at each other and at the prior action, Nayeon heaved a long sigh.

"Mina, that was a freaking game! Can you stop overreacting?"  Nayeon shouted, loud enough for the couple next door to hear them.

"Just a game? Huh, I guess that smile on your face was also part of the plan too, wasn't it? Do you still love her?"

"Damn it, Mina! What do you want me to do? Did you want me to glare at her the whole time?"

"You still haven't answered my question. Do you still love her?" Mina repeated coldly.

Jungyeon and Sana who were part of the plan immediately started their supporting actor roles.

"H-hey, what's happening here?!" Jungyeon opened the door with an anxious mask on. Sana mirrored her exact expression from behind.

"Leave us alone, I want to know. Nayeon, do you still love Dahyun?!" Mina yelled in frustration. Nayeon bit her lip and didn't respond in order to create tension. 

Dahyun suddenly appeared at the door and locked eyes with Nayeon. The older girl swallowed hard and looked away.

"So you do... I should've known all this time. I'm just a rebound, huh?" Mina bitterly smiled. "Well, then I'll make it easier for you. I'm breaking up with you, Im Nayeon."

~~~

After that hectic weekend, the group headed back to Seoul and bid their farewell to Jungyeon. Since Sana realized her true feelings for Jungyeon, she didn't hesitate to tell her; Jungyeon accepted it whole-heartedly and promised to call her often. At least one couple knew their priorities in life.

Mina and Nayeon were still avoiding each other while Dahyun and Momo did the same out of awkwardness.

It is now Monday; they were now back at school. The whole school assumed that the two most famous couples have broken up. Even Dahyun and Momo were confused at everything going on. It was surreal, seeing how much the two loved each other just to break up over one stupid game of spin the bottle. During lunch, Nayeon was unusually being clingy with Dahyun and Mina did the same with Momo. 

Jihyo cleared and secretly leaned in Chaeyoung's ear, "Hey do you see that?" Chaeyoung nodded stiffly and observed the exes from afar. Nayeon giggled and playfully slapped Dahyun on the arm; Dahyun just awkwardly smiled back, not knowing how to react.

Mina cleared , setting the stage for the next plan. She glanced at Nayeon secretly before returning her eyes to Momo who was sitting in front of her.

"Now that Nayeon and I have broken up, I was wondering if..."

Momo's eyes slowly focused on Mina's own.

"...you could give me a chance?"

Nayeon swallowed hard and tried to suppress her increasing jealousy. Although she knew that it was all for the plan, she couldn't resist feeling bitter about how a smile slowly crept to Momo's lips.

Dahyun frowned instantly and beyond her control, she suddenly opened to speak.

"Excuse me, but she's still my girlfriend." Dahyun interrupted. All heads snapped to the sound of her unexpected voice rising to the conversation. Nayeon bit back a smile and Momo turned red as a tomato.

"Didn't you two break up already?" Mina responded seriously. Dahyun felt her tongue get caught. She looked into Momo's eyes as if she were asking for an answer. Anything, please say anything. But to her surprise, Momo nodded confidently.

"Yes, we did." She blankly replied, her eyes never leaving Dahyun's stiff face.

"And Dahyun, first of all... I was never yours." Momo blurted out coldly. Dahyun's eye twitched as if her heart had been pierced a million times by that one response.

The whole table turned silent at once with Nayeon being the one to break it.

"Well since we're on it, I guess it would be okay with you if I could take back my ex?" Nayeon nonchalantly suggested almost as if she were waiting for the perfect opportunity. 

Silence.

Momo felt her pride rising to the heavens. She shrugged with dull eyes, tired from all the heartache Dahyun has caused her. It's time to let go.

"Sure, why not?" She replied in a monotone, causing Dahyun to look away in guilt. Her conscience was slowly killing her.

~~~

"I can't belie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter