Thirty

The Empire of Women
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been three months since Seulgi stripped Sana the title of an Imperial Noble Consort and kicked her out of the palace. Everything had been peaceful. She spent every night with Joohyun ever since that stormy night. It was also what Soojung had agreed on since Joohyun was pregnant and she needed more attention, not that Soojung wanted Seulgi's attention then. 

The young and capable Empress buried herself under the piles of reports and appeals in the day while she looked after Joohyun in the night, always making sure that the girl had taken her daily tonic soup before the bed. She was more than relieved when Joohyun did not show any sign of morning sickness throughout the three months, it was a good thing. 

Her ministers sent in reports to tell her that the national income had risen and population had increased, a very outstanding achievement that had surpassed the past Empresses'. 

It was in the late afternoon when Yoon Ah escorted Minister Kim and Minister Lee into her study room to discuss with the Empress about the plan to improve their military strength and special trainings. 

"I want to direct one-fifth of the court fund into the military fund. What do you think?" Seulgi arched an eyebrow as she leaned forward to rest her elbows on the table in front of her. 

The two ministers were standing across the table and they looked at each other before they replied Seulgi. "One-fifth is a lot, Your Majesty." Kim said carefully without offending the Empress. 

Seulgi did not speak and just looked at Minister Lee for a reply. 

"I think the same-" 

"Why would my empire need you if all of my ministers think the same?" Seulgi stated firmly, eyes boring straight into Minister Lee's fearful one. 

Her sharp eyes when she was displeased always instilled fear into her subordinates, disallowing any inefficiency and ineptness in her court. But she did not earn her respect from the fear of her people, she earned it with the way she led them. 

"Please forgive me, your majesty." Minister Lee bowed, her body trembling. 

Seulgi exhaled slowly and leaned back on her chair, playing with the jade ring on her thumb as she pondered thoroughly about her own suggestion. "Are you aware that the Western people have invented a new weapon?" She asked, staring at the pile of reports on her table. 

"Y-Yes." Minister Lee answered. 

"Stand properly." Seulgi said and the minister immediately straightened her back. "I'm thinking that we should not lag behind in terms of weaponry, we'll be at a disadvantage if the outsiders know that we are not as advanced." 

Minister Kim nodded. "But how can we just invent a new weapon so promptly?" 

"That's why we need more funds. More funds to recruit people from the outside to create new weapon for us." Seulgi said patiently. "They will be attracted by the rewards." 

"You're right." Lee said. 

Seulgi stared at her which made Minister Lee gulp hard. "How did you even become a minister?" 

"I-I-" 

"Demote her to a deputy minister of defence." Seulgi simply said and Minister Kim just nodded with an inaudible sigh as she saw the way the demoted minister look at her with helpless eyes. One thing that Seulgi hated the most was promotion based on family background, she emphasised greatly on meritocracy and she knew that her mother must have promoted this minister because of her strong political family background. 

"Th-Thank you, your majesty." The now deputy minister Lee said. 

"Leave." Seulgi stated. "Kim, stay." 

After the other minister was gone, the prime minister bowed slightly forward at the Empress as she waited for any instruction. 

"Inform the minister of finance about my decision and have her to report to me after the transaction." Seulgi said, grabbing her brush to write on a letter and sealing it with her ink. She handed the prime minister the sealed envelope and suddenly felt light in her head. 

"Your Majesty, are you alright?" Minister Kim asked urgently when she noticed the Empress' unfocused eyes. "Your Majesty!" The minister shouted when she saw blood coming out of Seulgi's nose. 

Yoon Ah who was waiting outside the study room rushed into the room hastily when she heard the commotion inside and she panicked for awhile when she saw the blood trickling down Seulgi's chin. She ran out again immediately to find the imperial physician while Minister Kim ordered the servants to bring Seulgi to her bedroom quickly, wiping the blood off her nose with the handkerchief on Seulgi's bed. Joohyun's handkerchief. 

This incident alerted the queen dowager who happened to walk past the physicians' quarter and Taeyeon stopped Yoon Ah to question her. 

"Why are you running about in the palace?" Taeyeon asked, her personal servant Seol Ah was beside her. 

The imperial physician was already rushing to the Empress' room while Yoon Ah panted as she tried to explain to the queen dowager. "He-Her Majesty is bleeding!" 

"What?" Taeyeon's eyes widened. "Take me to her place now." She said quickly and Seol Ah immediately helped to assist the queen dowager to walk hastily to the Empress' house with Yoon Ah running ahead first. 

The physician arrived promptly and cleared the servants surrounding the Empress, taking her hand to check the pulse. It was fine. 

"Your Majesty, do you feel unwell anywhere?" The physician asked. Seulgi was holding the handkerchief to her nose herself and she side-eyed the physician before she shook her head. 

"Seulgi!" 

Seulgi jumped a little when she heard a familiar voice. 

"Umuni." Seulgi wanted to get down and greet her mother but Taeyeon stopped her. 

"What happened to her?" Taeyeon asked anxiously and worriedly. The room was only left with Seulgi, Taeyeon, Yoon Ah, Seol Ah and the physician. 

The physician only checked Seulgi's pulse again and she frowned. "Your body is too heaty, your majesty." 

"Heaty?" Taeyeon asked. 

"Her Majesty... Her Majesty has been holding herself back too much lately." The physician said awkwardly and did not dare to look at Seulgi who was staring deadpan at her. 

Taeyeon blinked and nodded before she dismissed everyone else in the room as she wanted to have a chat with her busy daughter. "Seulgi." Taeyeon pressed her lips together firmly. 

Seulgi gave an awkward grin at her mother as she knew what it was going to be about. 

"Why do you have to hold yourself back?" Taeyeon questioned sternly. She was worried sick about her daughter when Yoon Ah said that Seulgi was bleeding. It turned out that Seulgi's body was just too heaty because she had been restraining herself too much. "I know that Joohyun is pregnant, there is still Soojung." 

"I know." Seulgi sighed, sitting up slowly and hissing when she felt a throb in her head. 

"And you have been working too hard in the court, haven't you?" Taeyeon frowned. "Umuni wants you to be healthy, Seulgi-ah." Taeyeon shook her head with sad eyes. "I don't want you to end up like your mother." 

Seulgi's chest tightened as she was reminded of her deceased mother again. "I know." Seulgi forced a smile. 

"It is not good to just keep working." Her mother scolded her. "How are you and Soojung?" She asked, sensing that something was off. 

"Fine?" Seulgi raised her eyebrows, putting the stained handkerchief away but Taeyeon grabbed it and wiped the blood off Seulgi's chin gently with soft eyes looking at her daughter.

"You know I don't like to interfere with your life since you're already an Empress. But there are so many mouths in the palace and rumours spread fast." Taeyeon said as she continued to wipe her daughter's chin. 

"Rumours?" Seulgi frowned. 

Taeyeon sighed and put the handkerchief on the table beside the bed. "The attendants are saying that you have not stepped into the queen's room for three months already." 

Seulgi in the cold air as she heard it, she hated gossips. "How daring of them." She only said. 

"You can't blame them. You're the Empress, everyone is watching you." Taeyeon reminded gently. 

"Joohyun needs me." Seulgi said.

"I know, Seulgi-ah." Taeyeon nodded. "The two of you are in love with each other. You're just like your mother." Taeyeon smiled and shook her head. 

Seulgi looked at Taeyeon slowly when she heard of her deceased mother again. "Then you can understand." Seulgi said carefully. 

"Still, do not neglect your queen. A concubine is still a concubine, a queen is a queen." Taeyeon patted Seulgi's hand gently. "Spend more time with Soojung too, the girl doesn't deserve the isolation. Soojung is a nice girl, she knows that you love Joohyun so she let you be." 

Seulgi nodded with a small sigh. "Yes umuni." 

"I will also talk to Soojung about it. It takes two hands to clap." Taeyeon said as she stood up, pushing Seulgi to lie down again and tucking her in under the cover. "Sleep." She frowned sternly when Seulgi wanted to get up to continue working. "Take a rest today." 

She should heed her mother's advice after all. 

 

 

 

 

 

Seulgi did not go to Joohyun's room that night on the day that she had a nosebleed, because Taeyeon asked Seol Ah to attend to her especially since the queen dowager knew that Seulgi would not listen to Yoon Ah. Seol Ah was like a nanny to her since the servant looked after her when she was young. 

The next day, she asked Yoon Ah to tell Joohyun that she would not be going over again tonight since Tae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter