Fourteen

The Empire of Women
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The entire nation mourned over the death of Empress Sooyeon after the news spread like wildfire throughout the country. The people came to the palace to pay their last respect and Seulgi stayed by her biological mother's side for two days straight without sleep and food. It worried the ministers, her mother, her wives and especially Joohyun. 

Three days later, Seulgi ascended the throne when the prime minister urged her to since there would be people eyeing for the throne and taking advantage of the vulnerable time to seize the throne. 

Seulgi, as well as her wives moved to the Empress house now since she was officially an Empress of the country. She was still sad and heartbroken because she had lost her mother, the woman who loved her and doted on her, who gave everything to her. The dowager queen moved to the other house since Soojung took over the title of Queen. But it did not matter, the dowager queen wanted to live alone to pray for her one and only wife.

The Empress House was definitely bigger than her previous house. There were a lot of rooms for her wives if she had more next time. But Seulgi did not intend to take in another after Joohyun. She assigned Joohyun in the room closer to her own room, the Empress had her own room without any wife just in case she did not feel like seeing any of her wives. Joohyun was officially her wife, too. But they did not have any ceremony because Joohyun was not the first wife and Seulgi was busy after ascending the throne. 

There were more servants now in the House, Seulgi still had the same batch of servants from when she was still a crown princess just that Joohyun was her wife now. She gave Joohyun the title of Noble Lady which was still a low rank in the royal since the ministers told Seulgi that she should not let Joohyun share the same title as Naeun who was an Imperial Consort since she was pregnant. But Joohyun did not mind, because Seulgi told her that she was her queen in Seulgi's heart. Joohyun had her own group of servants but she treated them very well, sometimes even did the chores herself and of course, the servants would get reprimanded by Yoon Ah who was the Chief of Servants now. 

Since Seulgi was still new to the responsibility, she spent the first week in the study room or court with her trusted ministers to understand the country better. She did not step into any of her wife's room but she would call any of them into her study room when she had a break. 

Today, she asked Yoon Ah to Joohyun to her study room during her tea break. Seulgi was looking through the military reports with Lieutenant General Kwon and General Lee. Lieutenant General Kwon was only twenty two, a very young but capable lady who succeeded her mother's position in the military. 

"Your Majesty, I seek your permission to bring this batch of soldiers to the south for special training." General Lee said formally and handed Seulgi a name list. 

"What is this training for?" Seulgi asked, frowning as she scanned through the profile of the soldiers. 

"They will be trained to protect you, Your Majesty." Kwon said. 

Seulgi nodded. She was aware that it was her biological mother's idea and ordered the Generals to pick out a group of capable soldiers to protect her since there was a segregation in cabinet that was gaining forces. "I don't want to spend too much on the training, so I will give you only three months to train them, not six months." Seulgi said sternly. 

The two generals were about to say something when Yoon Ah brought Joohyun into the study room. "Your Majesty." Joohyun bowed to Seulgi and greeted the two generals as well. Seulgi moved her hand to ask Joohyun to rise and Joohyun walked to Seulgi's side, separating her from the two generals by a large table. 

Unknown to the Empress and the Noble Lady, the Lieutenant General could not stop staring at the Noble Lady who looked extremely beautiful with the light make up and in the jade green robe, looking so graceful when she handed the Empress the snacks. It was an instant fall. But Kwon realised that the girl she was staring at was the Empress' woman, she should not be gawking like that so she immediately looked away when Joohyun turned to face the front again where the two generals were standing opposite. 

"So, Kwon and Lee, I am only allowing three months. No more, no less. If that's clear, you can leave now." Seulgi said after approving the application to take the soldiers on a special training. The two generals could not object and they just obliged, bowing to the Empress before they left but not before Kwon stole a quick glance at the Noble Lady. 

"Have you eaten?" Seulgi finally smiled after the two generals left. She had to keep a stern face in front of the ministers and officers and it was so tiring for a sixteen year old girl. 

Joohyun nodded. "The fish was really nice today." Joohyun said in a small voice and helped Seulgi to massage her shoulders. "You should take some rest." She added quietly as she kneaded her wife's tensed shoulders from all the stress. 

"I know. I know." Seulgi chuckled softly, closing her eyes to enjoy the special treatment. "Did you see the young general just now?" Seulgi asked, referring to Kwon. 

"I did not really look at her. Why?" Joohyun asked. She was not supposed to interact with other nobles, excluding the Empress' concubines who were supposed to be her 'sisters'. 

"She is really something." Seulgi said. "She is only twenty two this year but she has quite a great achievement." 

"Really?" Joohyun asked flatly, not exactly interested. 

"Don't you think that she is dashing?" Seulgi asked, wanting to test Joohyun's reaction. She smiled cheekily as she waited for Joohyun to reply. 

"I told you I did not look at her." Joohyun answered softly. 

"You'll definitely like her if you look at her properly." Seulgi teased. She felt Joohyun pinching her shoulders and she yelped which made two imperial guards rush into the room with their swords pointing at the couple who were just playing around. Seulgi stared at the guards in surprise and coughed awkwardly. "Get out." The guards seemed t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter