Nineteen

The Empire of Women
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun's eyes widened in horror when she saw the person in front of her, seemingly nervous to approach her with her slow steps. "Wh-What are you doing here?" Joohyun whispered hushingly, afraid that there was someone out there who would hear them. 

"I..." Yuri stopped in front of Joohyun, an arm length away, she knelt on one knee and looked up to meet Joohyun's eyes. "I could not bear to see you getting upset." The general sighed. 

Joohyun put the cup away on the table beside her and Yuri gave it a nervous glimpse. "You should leave." Joohyun said, bracing her body with her arms in a protective manner as Yuri kept staring at her. She did not need the girl's sympathy. 

"I will. I will. When you're better." Yuri smiled sadly, she looked down for a moment when Joohyun kept avoiding her gaze. 

"I am fine." Joohyun said, her heart was palpitating in an unhealthy rhythm as she feared that the longer they talked, the greater trouble she would get into. "You should leave." She said again. 

"Nobody will know." Yuri quickly said and Joohyun turned to look at her. "I mean..." Yuri looked away from Joohyun and stood up, turning her back on the noble lady who was looking confused. 

"Seohyun will be back soon. It won't be nice if someone else comes in instead." Joohyun stated, her mind was clearer then because of the shock that she got just from seeing Yuri in front of her. 

"Joohyun..." Yuri sighed. 

Joohyun shivered when Yuri called her that. That was wrong. Yuri was not supposed to address Joohyun that way. "Mind your manners." Joohyun looked away, her hands were fidgeting as she felt nervous with Yuri around. She certainly did not want to get into another big trouble with Seulgi. Who knows if the Empress would have her head chopped off this time? 

Yuri gritted her teeth and turned around, frowning sadly at Joohyun. "Why?" She winced. Joohyun did not reply but she looked puzzled enough for Yuri to elaborate herself. "Why her?" 

"Know who you are talking about, general Kwon." Joohyun warned calmly as she saw how Yuri question the Empress behind her back. She gasped in shock when Yuri grabbed her shoulders, leaning her face so close to hers that her stomach felt sick when she could feel Yuri's warm breath on her lips. She gathered enough strength to push Yuri away and Yuri backed away weakly, chuckling to herself. "You're drunk." Joohyun said and stood up quickly, wanting to get out of the room as soon as possible. But Yuri grabbed her arm this time and pulled her into a back hug. Joohyun froze in place. 

"It is not worthy. She puts you down. You are just another girl that she spends her lonely night with. Be with me instead, I will give you all the love and attention that I have." Yuri said quietly, her breath hitting the back of Joohyun's neck. "I will take you away. Trust me."

Joohyun squirmed in her tight embrace and turned around successfully to push Yuri by her chest but Yuri only hugged her tighter. Joohyun grimaced in pain as the hug was too tight and she kept pushing Yuri away but it did not really work because Yuri was physically tougher. "Stop this!" Joohyun hissed angrily, staring into Yuri's eyes. 

Yuri's frown deepened when she saw how angry Joohyun look. She looked back at Joohyun and all she got was an angry stare as if Joohyun hated her to her gut. She sighed and slowly removed her arms around Joohyun and Joohyun backed away instantly, adjusting her dress around her body as she glared at the guilty general. 

"I won't give up." Yuri said, staring at the ground. "I know you feel something for me too. If not, you won't be so scared to be alone with me." 

Joohyun almost felt like choking herself when she heard that. The general had no clue that she was scared because her own life was at stake and it was not because she felt something for the general. It was true that she found the general charming but her heart was only taken by the young Empress who had no clue about this happening right then at all. 

"You're crazy." Joohyun spat and opened the door to storm out. 

Yuri smiled bitterly as she watched Joohyun walking away. She turned around and looked at the empty cup on the table, smiling to herself again and nodding. "You'll see." 

 

 

 

 

Joohyun quickened her pace back to the hall and she was surprised to see Seohyun talking to MoMo whom she recognised as Sana's personal servant. 

"Seohyun?" Joohyun frowned and Seohyun jumped up, startling. 

"Omo! Sorry, my lady! I have to run some errands for her highness so I have not gotten the tea for you!" Seohyun bowed repeatedly and Joohyun just sighed. 

Momo who was standing beside Seohyun bowed to the noble lady before excusing herself to go back to Sana's side. "What did Sana ask you to do?" Joohyun asked quietly after Momo left. 

"She asked me to bring sweet soup in for her majesty." Seohyun replied, holding Joohyun's arm to help her to walk in the shoes. 

Joohyun frowned in confusion. "Isn't that Yoon Ah's job? Why did Sana ask you to do?" 

"I don't know. I am just a servant, so I will just have to do it." Seohyun replied. Joohyun nodded, she was a servant once too so she understood. "Are you feeling okay already?" 

"Yes." Joohyun said. Her breathing hitched when she recalled what happened in the room just now. "Let's go back quick." She said, fastening her pace and looking behind her once to check that Yuri was not following her. 

The music got louder as they approached the hall, it seemed like there was another group of dancers who were entertaining the group of generals and even some more lustful nobles. She put on a small smile as she walked back to her seat at the front, taking a quick glance at the group of generals who were busy with the dancers and felt giddy when she saw Yuri sitting there quietly. 

"Are you feeling better?" Soojung asked her when she sat down. Seulgi looked at Joohyun who looked kind of lost and she smiled a little at the adorable sight. Joohyun nodded to Soojung and Soojung passed her some dessert to eat. 

"Is it ending soon?" Joohyun whispered to Soojung who was smiling at the guests. Soojung nodded without looking at Joohyun as she had to fake a smile at the nobles. 

Joohyun ate the dessert quietly as stole a quick glance at Yuri to see her already watching her. She jolted when they made eye contact and she looked away immediately, not catching the smile that Yuri had offered her. 

"I take this opportunity tonight!" Seulgi suddenly said so loudly and the hall quietened down, turning their attention to the Empress who was already standing up. "To thank all of you here, in guiding me to be a good Empress!" Seulgi smiled brightly, her charisma was overflowing and Joohyun could not help but smile as she listened. "Without you," Seulgi pointed at the guests. "This ship will be a ship with a captain but without crews." Everyone cheered as Seulgi showed her gratitude to each of them. "So enjoy yourself tonight and work with me, stand by my side and I will make sure you have a better life ahead!" Seulgi finished her speech, indirecting at the opposition group who were clapping reluctantly and Seulgi smirked a little when she saw Minister Yoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter