Thirteen

The Empire of Women
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The pair of lovers had just finished eating the sumptuous breakfast in the eating house and Seulgi paid for the meal before they left the place with Joohyun trailing behind because people could recognise the crown princess and they gave her their blessings as well as greetings. The guards had to the crown princess out safely first and Seulgi waited patiently for Joohyun to come out later. 

"Sorry, it happens." Seulgi apologised and took Joohyun's hand, rubbing the girl's hand in between her warmer one. Joohyun gave Seulgi a soft smile and nodded. "Shall we take a walk around?" 

"Don't you have to meet the ministers?" Joohyun asked as she walked beside Seulgi. The guards were following behind them with Seulgi's horse. 

Seulgi shook her head, "I am going to spend the day with you." Joohyun hid her smile as she turned her head to look at the stalls along the street. Seulgi strolled quietly with Joohyun beside her, hand in hand. "Hyunnie." Seulgi suddenly called. 

"Hmm?" Joohyun hummed and turned to look at the princess with cute rounded eyes. 

"Why did you enter the palace?" Seulgi asked, trying to sound cool because she did not want to offend the girl. 

Joohyun blinked a few times and she looked ahead. "My family needs money." 

"Something happened?" Seulgi probed carefully. 

"Long story." Joohyun sighed, playing with Seulgi's fingers as they continued to stroll down the street. 

"I don't mind listening." Seulgi smiled. 

Joohyun glanced at her lover and then nodded before staring to her front again, looking distant because she was recalling her past. "After your sixth birthday, halmoni stopped selling things on street because we did not have the money to buy the license anymore." 

"At all?" Seulgi gasped. 

Joohyun shook her head. "We're very poor. I had to stop going to school at eight, that's why I can only recognise some words." 

Seulgi frowned and sighed. "What happened next?" 

"We moved to the outskirt to live in the village, the place is very secluded but peaceful." Joohyun said. "Then halmoni passed away six year later, leaving me alone." 

"Wait. Where are your mothers?" Seulgi asked, looking confused. 

Joohyun chuckled sadly at Seulgi's face and she shrugged. "They abandoned me after giving birth to me. Halmoni raised me up alone." 

"So you were fourteen when your grandmother passed away?" Seulgi wanted to confirm. Joohyun nodded and Seulgi was rather amazed by it. "And then?" 

"And then I was left with no choice but to enter the palace to work as a servant. I had to undergo training first, for four years and then I became your servant." Joohyun explained clearly and she was about to continue walking when Seulgi pulled her to stand still. 

"You're not my servant." Seulgi stated with a serious look that made Joohyun feel slightly uneasy because the princess looked angry. "Don't say that you're my servant. You're going to be my wife." 

Joohyun relaxed her shoulders and looked at Seulgi coyly, tucking her hair behind her ear and biting her lip to stop the smile that was just impossible to hide. "Not yet." Joohyun muttered and pushed Seulgi lightly on her shoulder before walking away, waiting for the princess to chase after her. 

"Going to." Seulgi grinned and put her arm around Joohyun's shoulders, pulling her so close that Joohyun blushed because she could feel the princess's body heat despite the many layers of clothes. "You know what?" Seulgi whispered into Joohyun's ear and Joohyun shivered when the hot breath hit the shell of her ear. 

"What?" Joohyun mumbled. 

"I think we're meant to be." Seulgi grinned. "Ten years ago, we met each other and you became my first friend. Ten years later, you become my wife." 

"Sweet talker." Joohyun nudged Seulgi's stomach and Seulgi laughed. 

"The palace is so big. No, Korea is so big and yet we meet again. Isn't it fate?" Seulgi said excitedly and she fought the urge to kiss the girl when Joohyun was looking all shy again. 

"Who knows if you had actually planned it." Joohyun joked, putting an arm around Seulgi's waist. 

"Maybe the god planned it." Seulgi replied cheekily. "You know what?" 

"What?" Joohyun played along. 

"They call me the Lucky Star." Seulgi said. 

"I know. Everyone knows." Joohyun rolled her eyes. 

"And you have a star birthmark." Seulgi smiled when she saw the glint in Joohyun's eyes. "It all makes sense now right? We are meant to be." 

"Stars are far apart." Joohyun sighed. 

"Do I look like I am going to let you get away from me?" Seulgi raised her eyebrows and smiled genuinely at Joohyun who looked touched by her words. "I mean everything that I say from the bottom of my heart." 

"You make it hard to get away from you." Joohyun muttered loud enough for Seulgi to hear and Seulgi used the other hand to pinch her cheek. 

"Cute." Seulgi smiled. "Come on. I will get you something as our wedding gift." Seulgi removed her arm around Joohyun's shoulders only to move down to hold her hand. 

They walked and talked for another few more streets until they reached an exquisite looking shop that sold jewelleries and silk. Joohyun gasped when she stepped inside because everything was so beautiful and also very expensive. 

"Seulgi..." Joohyun tugged Seulgi's robe when the princess was looking through a series of bracelets. 

Seulgi looked up and smiled at Joohyun who was looking troubled. "Found something that you like?" 

Joohyun shook her head. "Let's go." 

"Why?" Seulgi frowned. "You don't like the things here?" 

"It is not that... but..." Joohyun sighed and looked at her own shoes that were quite dirty. She tried to hide her shoes under her long robe and looked up to see Seulgi staring at her shoes. 

Seulgi's look was uncomprehensible and she turned around to look at the bracelets again without saying anything to Joohyun. Joohyun's heart settled into an uneasy beat when Seulgi did not talk to her even after they stepped out of the shop. But Seulgi held her hand as they walked to another shop that sold clothes and footwears. 

"Remove them." Seulgi said finally, pointing to Joohyun's feet. Joohyun stepped out of her dirty and worn out shoes quietly with Seulgi supporting her to balance her. "Put them on." Seulgi took a pair of yellow shoes with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter