Twenty Seven

The Empire of Women
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Take good care of yourself, okay?" Seulgi took Soojung's hand gently and brought it to her lips for a soft peck on the back of Soojung's hand. Joohyun's eyes met Soojung's and Soojung gave her a weak smile - a smile that seemed apologetic. 

"Please be safe too." Soojung said softly and pulled her hand away slowly which Seulgi did not protest. 

"Where's Officer Choi?" Seulgi turned her head a little to question Yoon Ah. 

"She's here." Yoon Ah replied and pointed to her back where the official was standing quietly with a few other guards behind her. Seulgi turned around completely and took a good look at the official. 

"Who are the four that I have asked you to pick out?" Seulgi asked, taking a quick glance at the few guards whose heads were hanging lowly.

"Your Majesty, they are here - Jungyeon, Sunyoung, Sojin and Byul yi." Officer Choi reported politely with a slight bow and the four young girls stood forward. They were the royal guards that Seulgi had specially trained after she had ascended to the throne. Seulgi picked out the four to protect her consorts who were staying in the palace during her trip to the south, two for each of the consorts. 

"You and you, come forward." Seulgi pointed to the two girls at the back. "What's your name?" 

"Sojin." 

"Byul yi." 

"Byul yi?" Seulgi frowned. 

"They call me Moonbyul here, Your Majesty." The girl said quickly. 

"Ah... that's why Byul Yi sounds unfamiliar." Seulgi nodded. "Alright, the two of you will follow the queen. And the two of you, Lady Sana." Seulgi instructed. 

The four guards bowed and stepped aside for the Empress to board the carriage. Seulgi went into the carriage swiftly in a breeze and she put her hand out for Joohyun to take. She made sure that Joohyun was comfortable enough in the compartment before she pulled the curtain aside to speak to her two consorts who were sending her off. 

"I will be back after a week." Seulgi smiled at Soojung first and then Sana. Sana smiled back, her eyes rounded when Seulgi looked at her for another while before letting go of the curtain. "You can take a nap first if you want to." Seulgi said to Joohyun who was sitting idly beside her. 

"I am not tired." Joohyun replied. "But it is going to be boring." 

"Am I boring to you?" Seulgi teased despite knowing that Joohyun meant nothing like that. 

Joohyun slapped the Empress' arm weakly for the playful remark and she yelped when the carriage started moving. Seulgi giggled and caught her lover steadily, wrapping an arm around her smaller torso. "You always like to twist my words." Joohyun mumbled and conveniently rested her head against Seulgi's shoulder. 

"I just like to tease you." Seulgi laughed. 

"Can I ask you a question?" Joohyun whispered. 

"Sure." Seulgi agreed readily. 

"Why didn't you take Soojung with you? She is the queen." Joohyun said, playing with her fingers on her on lap. 

Seulgi smiled as she knew that Joohyun would ask this sooner or later. "Because I don't want to be away from you." 

"You are a very sweet talker." Joohyun muttered sheepishly and she melted into Seulgi's embrace when the girl rubbed the side of her arm. 

"I mean it. If I leave you here, I don't think I can focus on my work there." Seulgi said sincerely, not even teasing Joohyun a bit. 

"You're an Empress, you should know when to be serious." Joohyun said teasingly this time and moved down to put her head on Seulgi's lap. "But I like it." She giggled, looking up at Seulgi who was her hair gently. 

"I am also worried that you will get hurt." Seulgi sighed, putting an arm across Joohyun's body protectively to prevent her from falling from the seat. 

"I'll be fine? Seungwan and Seohyun are always around." Joohyun smiled. 

"I will still be worried. I want to see you every second." Seulgi looked at Joohyun dreamily and leaned down to peck on Joohyun's forehead. "Then I can focus better." She grinned at the sight of the red cheeks on her lover. 

"What about Soojung?" Joohyun asked. 

"Didn't I assign two royal guards to protect her?" Seulgi smiled warmly. 

"Aren't you scared that she will get hurt too?" Joohyun frowned. 

"Do you want me to?" Seulgi teased which earned her a jab in the chest. "Okay okay. Take a rest. It is going to be a long journey." 

"What about you?" 

"Can I rest when you are lying on my lap?" Seulgi raised an eyebrow and Joohyun rolled her eyes before she tried to get up but Seulgi pressed her down with not too much force. "Stay. I want you to rest. I'll be fine. I have to read some reports too." 

Joohyun bit her lip and nodded obediently, it always did something to her heart when Seulgi was being assertive. She liked it secretly because it meant that Seulgi genuinely cared for her. 

"Good night then." Joohyun giggled softly. 

"Good... night?" Seulgi looked confused but she decided to play along. It was early in the morning though. 

"Say it to our baby too." Joohyun frowned cutely and tugged on Seulgi's sleeve when Seulgi reached to her side for the report. 

"Okay okay. Good night, my princess." Seulgi patted Joohyun's belly very gingerly and grinned like a fool. The belly was not even showing but Seulgi knew that her daughter was there. "Sleep well." Seulgi smiled at Joohyun and pressed her arm down across Joohyun's body again to protect her from falling. She stared dreamily at Joohyun's serene look before she started reading the report seriously, her eyebrows pushing together and Joohyun caught the sight when she opened one eye to peek at the Empress. 

Again, Joohyun realised that she should be more mature. Seulgi was under too much stress and it pained her heart to see Seulgi frown every moment because of her work. She thought back about the sour feeling in her chest when she saw Seulgi giving Soojung a peck on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter