Sixteen

The Empire of Women
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi woke up alone on her bed when the sun was not even up, she needed to read through some reports and updates before meeting a group of ministers later. Yoon Ah served her to wash up as well as changing into a new set of clothes, the black robe with gold dragon design looked good on her. After checking herself for the last time, she headed out of her bedroom to the study room where the meeting would be held. 

"Your Majesty, do you want to have your breakfast now or later?" Yoon Ah asked quietly as Seulgi sat on her comfortable chair. Seulgi massaged her temple with her index and middle fingers before she shifted a stack of reports to her front. 

"Just bring me some buns and I want milk tea." Seulgi said in a tired voice without looking at Yoon Ah. Yoon Ah nodded and went out to carry her order. 

Seulgi stared at the words in front of her, her head started throbbing because she did not have a good sleep last night. How could she, when Joohyun was not by her side. How could she, when Joohyun talked to one of the most charming women in the country. How could she, when Joohyun thought that there was nothing wrong with it. She groaned quietly and crushed a piece of paper before tossing it across the room. 

Yoon Ah was surprised by the ball of paper when she walked in and she put down the Empress' breakfast gently in front of her before walking to the other side of the room to pick up the paper. She went out quietly then, leaving the upset Empress in the study room to mark through the reports. 

After going through more than ten reports, Seulgi decided it was enough for the morning and she askes Yoon Ah to the group of ministers in who had been waiting outside the study room for awhile then. 

"Your Majesty." They greeted together and Seulgi's eyes narrowed when she saw Minister Yoon. 

"Rise." Seulgi said, flatly. The prime minister and the three excellencies stood in front of her, side by side. "Yoon, you have submitted a report to suggest a reshuffling of cabinet." Seulgi stated, tapping on the report in front of her. 

Minister Yoon nodded firmly once and looked at the prime minister before saying. "Her excellency has been the prime minister for more than five years now, so I would suggest a reshuffling so that she will not hold a great power in the government for too long." 

Seulgi's expression remained neutral and she nodded at Minister Yoon's suggestion before looking at the prime minister. "Do you have anything to say, Kim?" 

The prime minister bowed a little and looked at Seulgi. "There should not be a change in the cabinet because we still do not have suitable candidates to choose from. This is too abrupt." 

Seulgi nodded. "What about the two of you?" She looked at the other two excellencies. They were on Seulgi's side so they agreed with the prime minister without hesitation. "I will not reshuffle a lot, but I will need your help to reallocate new position for the officers. As of now, I do not want to reshuffle the ministers." 

Seulgi noticed a crease forming between Minister Yoon's eyebrows and she smirked a little to herself. Of course she would still listen to Minister Yoon's suggestion but she could choose to not realise it because she was the Empress. 

"Do any of you still have anything to say?" Seulgi asked, clasping her hands together on the table. 

Minister Yoon looked up again and walked forward a little. "Your Majesty, there will be a trip to China to discuss about the terms of trade three months later, so we need to choose a suitable representative." 

Seulgi nodded again, of course she was aware of it. She wanted to test the water and see whom Minister Yoon would recommend to go for such important and grand meeting. "Who do you think will be suitable?" 

"Princess Hyoyeon." Minister Yoon said, studying the expression of the young Empress who was doing a good job at masking her own emotions, presenting a neutral expression again. 

"She is just a princess of third rank, she can't go for this event." Seulgi said as a matter of fact. 

"You can promote her to the second rank, Your Majesty. When Empress Sooyeon ascended the throne, she promoted all of her sisters to the princess of second rank." Minister Yoon said. There was a small smirk at the corner of her lips and Seulgi found it so sickening. It was as if she was so certain that Seulgi would listen to her because she mentioned Seulgi's mother. Seulgi pretended to be studying the report in front of her as she thought quietly. 

She should promote her sisters because firstly, it was what her mother had done last time. Secondly, she should not let the opposition group think that she was being wary of her own sisters, that would heighten their vigilance for Seulgi and it would be more difficult to bring them down next time. 

Seulgi grabbed her brush and began writing her order in a decree, sealing it with her ink and passing it to Minister Yoon. Minister Yoon smiled at Seulgi almost too widely when she read the decree. "You will read it to the princess and have her to greet me the next day after she receives the promotion." Seulgi said. "If there's nothing else, all of you are dismissed." She did not look at the other three ministers who were looking confused as of why did Seulgi accept Minister Yoon's suggestion but they knew better to not ask and that the young Empress surely knew what she was doing because she was smart. 

 

 

 

 

It was finally a week later when the princess of Japan would arrive and live with Seulgi for the rest of her life. Seulgi was in the court in the morning and she was once again disheartened by the fact that her own sister was really plotting against her, trying to overthrow her to seize the throne. But Seulgi was not an inept Empress, she was good at reading people and she was aware that her sister was manipulated by Minister Yoon who took advantage of the princess' greed for power. There was once when Hyoyeon made an order when Seulgi had not even said a single word, Seulgi's blood was boiling when Hyoyeon even challenged her that she should just stick with the princess' order. But of course, majority of the ministers and officers were on Seulgi's side, they came up and violently objected Hyoyeon's suggestion, saving Seulgi from having to hurt her own sibling in front of the ministers because of the disrespect. She could just have Hyoyeon locked up and served a beating because Hyoyeon disregarded her as an Empress, but she chose not to because she knew that her deceased mother would not like the idea very much. Fortunately, Miyoung was not on the opposition's side, she chose to stay neutral and out of the politics. 

Seulgi had to meet the group of generals today to update her on the progress of the special training. She had also not seen Joohyun for a week now since she was still upset over the incident and meeting Kwon that day certainly did not help with the situation. She was just a sixteen year-old girl after all who felt jealous because of her lover. 

When the group of generals came in and greeted her, she allowed everyone to have a seat other than Kwon, reason because she did not tie the knot of her hat properly, but we all knew the true reason behind it. 

They discussed the progression and Seulgi was pleased with the fact that the soldiers were doing very well and that they could really help her a lot one day. She rewarded the soldiers with top wine and money before dismissing the generals, but she asked Kwon to stay behind. 

"Your Majesty," Yuri bowed at the Empress who was looking very distant. She had heard from the people in the palace that Seulgi forbade Joohyun from stepping out of her room and it had been a week, but she did not know the reason why. 

Seulgi stared at the young general in front of her, she disliked the look of the general so much. She was so good looking. The way the young general gave off a confident aura made her sick to her stomach. Her tanned skin was something that made the girls crazy for, Seulgi was aware of it. Her built was just right, Yuri was everything that the girls in the country wanted. Seulgi poked her inner cheek with her tongue and continued to stare at Yuri, as if trying to burn a hole through her body so that it would make Yuri less perfect. 

Yuri continued to be bowing and she did not dare to meet the eyes of the Empress as it was rude. She jumped a little when Seulgi asked her to rise. After all, it had been hell long of silence. 

"How often do you come into the palace?" Seulgi asked, playing with the jade ring on her thumb. 

"Twice in a week, Your Majesty." Yuri answered, looking at the floor instead. 

Seulgi nodded. "Where do you usually go?" She swore she hated the fact that Yuri had to think for awhile before answering her. 

"The garden." Yuri replied. 

"For?" 

"It is cooling there." Yuri answered in a small voice. 

"I hope you know the reason why I asked you to stay behind." Seulgi said flatly, looking up to see a slightly flustered general whose eyelids flickered. 

Yuri gulped quietly. The sweat on her palms were starting to get sticky and felt dry. "May I know w-why, Your Majesty." 

Seulgi stared at Yuri. Her head was getting giddy with all the blood rushing up her head, she was angry. "There should not be another time." Seulgi simply said with her calm voice. 

As much as Yuri would want to act like she did not know what the Empress was talking about, she should just nod if she wanted her life to be spared. 

Seulgi only pointed at the door without speaking and Yuri immediately bowed before taking her leave. Yes, Seulgi was jealous. She was so jealous that she knew she should not be dealing with Yuri that way but she could not help it. She did not want to lose Joohyun to someone like Yuri. She was the Empress, she could and should get any girl that she wanted. But she knew that she only cared and wanted Joohyun. Because Joohyun was all that mattered to her. 

 

 

 

 

After dinner at her own room that day, Seulgi decided to finally see Joohyun after a week of banning her from stepping out of her room. 

"Your Majesty, the princess of Japan is waiting for you in the room." Yoon Ah came up to remind Seulgi after the dinner. Seulgi looked at her servant in annoyance and then pushed her aside gently to walk out of the room. "Where are you going to?" Yoon Ah asked, catching up with Seulgi who was basically brisk walking away. 

"Joohyun." Seulgi only said. 

"But the-" 

"One more word." Seulgi warned calmly without even stopping and Yoon Ah quickly shut . She followed behind Seulgi quietly on the way to Joohyun's room. 

In the room, Joohyun had been bored to death in the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter