One

The Empire of Women
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The princess turned six on the day of another full moon. Every household hung up three long pieces of red paper with auspicious words as a form of celebration for the third daughter of the Empress. The Empress and the Queen brought little Seulgi out in town to let her choose the present that she wanted. 

The royal couple watched in bliss as their daughter strolled down the long aisle where stalls were set up along the side of the road, she walked pompously with her chin held high up in the air because she knew that she was a princess. She didn't have to act all lady-like and wear a dress because well, there's no need to impress the men who were already extinct. 

"Seulgi-ah, is there anything that you like?" Queen Taeyeon asked gently as she bent down to wipe the sweat off her daughter's forehead with her silk handkerchief.

The guards were all female. Everyone there was women. There was no need to enforce any harsh rules because women were not as violent and easily agitated as men in the past. 

Little Seulgi shook her head before she ran away to the next stall and people bowed to the royal couple as they walked past, saying praises at the little girl who had been hopping around excitedly because she knew that that day was her special day. 

Her eyes fell upon a little wooden stick which was what they called the catapult. A guard followed after her quickly when Seulgi dashed to the stall opposite them. She grabbed the catapult and examined it in her hand very carefully. 

"Are you going to buy it or just look at it?" A little voice said and Seulgi looked up to see a girl crossing her arms in front of her chest. She was about the same age as Seulgi. 

"I am going to take it." Seulgi smirked as she wanted to agitate the girl because the girl was not looking impressed with Seulgi. 

"There are guards around, I will tell them to catch you for stealing!" The girl huffed and stared at Seulgi. Seulgi bursted out laughing and put the catapult back on the wooden table. 

"They can't catch me." Seulgi stated and she smiled at the girl because the girl was cute. She was the first one who had ever talked to Seulgi like that. 

The girl arched her eyebrow and side-eyed Seulgi. "Why is that so?" 

"Because-" 

"Omo! Princess Seulgi!" An older woman exclaimed and quickly bowed at Seulgi the very moment that she saw her. The little girl was confused and she looked at the older woman beside her. 

"Halmoni, who is she?" She frowned and pouted at Seulgi. Seulgi smirked again as she knew that the next moment was going to be so interesting. 

"Hyunnie, quick, bow to the princess." The older woman pushed the little girl's back to let her bend forward and the little girl did it reluctantly. "Princess Seulgi, is there anything that you like here?" The older woman beamed an amiable smile at Seulgi. The guard beside Seulgi bowed at the royal couple when they approached Seulgi to see what was the fuss about. "Omo! Your Majesty." The older woman kneeled down in front of the couple quickly and did a full bow. The Empress saw it and asked the guard to help the old woman up. 

"Seulgi-ah, have you chosen anything?" Queen Taeyeon asked again and she smiled when she saw Seulgi nodding happily. The Empress dismissed the guards around them and bent down to pat Seulgi's soft cheek. 

"Umuni, I want her." Seulgi pointed at the little girl who seemed to be a little frightened by the appearance of guards and she was hiding behind her grandmother. 

The Empress' smile faltered and she looked at where Seulgi was pointing at. "Seulgi, she is not a toy." 

"Choose something else, baby." The queen remained composed and spoke softly to her daughter. 

"No! I want her!" Seulgi huffed and folded her arms, stomping one foot on the ground angrily as she did so. The Empress shook her head and sighed as she exchanged helpless glances with her wife. 

"Seulgi, she is not a toy." The Empress repeated, still with a gentle smile and tried to be as patient with her precious daughter as possible. But Seulgi didn't care. She wanted what she wanted. "Seulgi, one more time and we will be heading back to the palace. Forget about the feast tonight." The Empress finally warned and the Queen kept quiet as she was in no place to speak against the Empress. 

Seulgi saw that her biological mother was eyeing her with a stern look and she finally relented. She sulked and plopped herself down on the ground. "I want to play with her." She mumbled but the Empress heard it. 

"Your Majesty, I have a suggestion." The old woman said meekly and she bowed a little when the Empress turned to look at her. The Empress gave her a nod as a permission to go on. "Why don't you let her highness play with hyunnie today and have the guards bring her back to the palace before the feast?" She smiled warmly and the Empress thought about it. 

"What do you say?" The Empress turned and looked at her wife. The Queen nodded in reverence and the Empress smiled. "Alright." She bent down to meet her daughter's eyes which were staring at the ground sadly. "Seulgi-ah, I will let you play with her today. You have to come back before the sun set. Is that alright?" 

The little girl chuckled softly when Seulgi's face changed drastically from sulking to grinning. "Yay!" She cheered and jumped up quickly, hugging her biological mother around her leg before she jumped around to celebrate it again. "You're my best present!" Seulgi grinned and looked at the little girl which made the little girl blush madly that she hid herself behind her grandmother again. 

"I will look after her well, Your Majesty." The old woman bowed and the Empress nodded with a soft smile. They left with some of the guards, leaving four behind to look after Seulgi. "Hyunnie, bring princess Seulgi to the field to play." The old woman instructed the little girl and she nodded shyly. Seulgi eyed the catapult on the table and the older woman saw it. "You can have this. Go on and enjoy your day." She handed Seulgi the catapult and smiled at her. Seulgi grinned at the old woman and waited for the little girl to bring her to the field. 

"Let's go." The little girl said without looking at Seulgi but Seulgi just followed after her with a silly grin on her face. She examined the catapult again as they walked side by side. 

"Do you know how to play this?" Seulgi asked, waving the catapult in front of the little girl's face. The little girl nodded sheepishly and they made a right turn to the field. Seulgi saw the endless grassland and she ran to it, turning around to yell at the little girl to catch up. The guards scurried to Seulgi's side and Seulgi pouted at them. "Can you not follow me around?" 

"I'm afraid I can't, Your Highness." One of them said and Seulgi scoffed. 

"Are you always this rude?" The little girl asked from nowhere and Seulgi turned around to look at her annoyed face. 

"What?" Seulgi frowned. She was confused as of why did the lit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter