Part 15✦

You Can Change

By the time the week was up, the boys had moved from their table near the line to the back of the cafeteria, and they kept themselves to themselves. They laughed for the right reasons, they didn’t discuss strategies to hurt other people. They were becoming normal again, people no longer feared them; in fact, they almost forgot about their selfish ways, and oddly, they didn’t mind.

 

Youngmi watched them from a distance. It brought tears to her eyes that she couldn’t stop before she left them to their own devices.

 

She entered the classroom that she had become so accustomed to entering. Her fingers brushed over the desk that she and the boy had shared for three months. She remembered the first time she’d entered the class; she’d been terrified. The friends had seemed hopeless, but she soon learned that that was not the case at all. They hadn’t understood at first.

 

Everything was better now, but Youngmi half wished they were still the same.

 

She lifted the desk, presenting herself with her seatmate’s messy and disorganised desk. A small, yet sad smile formed on her lips as she left the piece of folded paper she’d been holding all that time into it, and gently closed it again.

 

Youngmi walked out before she could let herself turn back. She walked out of the classroom, out of the double doors that led to the front of the school.

 

Closing her eyes, she spread out her arms, it was time.

 

“Youngmi! Youngmi, wait!”

 

She didn’t want to wait, she didn’t want to have a reason not to leave.

 

Her fears and tears had to be put on hold when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

 

“T-Taehyung? What’s wrong?”


“Youngmi,” he breathed. “I-I just wanted to say… Thank you. Thank you for everything.”