Chapter 5: Knowledge For Good

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Waking up this morning, Haneul found herself staring up at her ceiling. No, there wasn’t anything interesting there but what was currently transpiring in her mind is a different story. 

So, it was by chance she moved into this apartment. By chance, it was the least inexpensive place close to her University – 

By chance, Mino became her neighbor.

By chance, she met Mino. 

But it wasn’t by chance when Mino decided to make a meal out of her. So that was when Haneul realized she could do something with this newfound knowledge.

“Hello?” Haneul lazily held the phone to her ear. Just minutes before, she dialed the very phone number to her comfort.

“Haneul, you’ve been calling me very often.”

“I thought parents are supposed to be happy when their child calls home.” Shouldn’t that even be more correct for them since she was their only child? 

“We are…it’s just, we thought we would have a chance to miss you.”

Hearing her mother’s joking words, Haneul dropped her head into her pillow and groaned. “I want to come home.”

“Oh honey, this is a new experience. You’ll enjoy it.”

“When does that feeling actually kick in?”

Chuckles could be heard from the other line. “Well, what’s wrong?”

“I am in a position I don’t want to be in.” 

“Make the most of it.” 

Haneul bites back another groan hearing her mother’s simple advice. “…I’ll try.”

Saying their goodbye’s, Haneul dragged herself out of bed to prepare for the day ahead. Grabbing the last of her things, Haneul left her apartment, while not forgetting to lock her door. This time, no door opened up simultaneously. She turned around and stared at the door unsurely. It was a given that Mino always had exceptional timing and would appear whenever she left her home.

Remembering she had a bus to catch, Haneul tore her eyes from the wooden door and hurried down the hallway.

***

“Isn’t it only the second day?” Seungyoon kept his eyes on the newspaper, not really surprised with Mino’s negligence. Though the man arrived at the home early, he didn’t bother moving from his spot in the chair to get to school. “If you leave now, you can still make it there before your class begins.” Registering for school was also an idea to get Mino more involved and possibly feeling better about his life – finding a purpose, if you will, but it has yet to serve its aim. His second year there and Mino is still going through his little moods. 

“Unless you want a bloodbath at the University, don’t convince me to go.” Mino gritted his teeth.

Peering around his newspaper, the younger eyed the man across the table. “When was the last time you’ve eaten?”

When? Mino thought about it for a moment. How long ago was it when Haneul was in the hospital? “Possibly a week.”

“Well, that certainly explains your crankiness, doesn’t it?” Seungyoon stated matter-of-factly. But, the worry quickly overshadowed the carefree attitude. Was Mino still lacking motivation? “I have some blood bags in the fridge.”

With a sigh, Mino pushes himself up to his feet and heads into the kitchen. That should hold him over for a bit.

“Where’s Mister oh-so-depressed?” 

Seungyoon removed his eyes from the newspaper once more and stared ahead of him. His eyes landed on the man standing at the doorway leading into the dining room. 

“Seunghoon, we have spoken about the use of that nickname.”

Seunghoon chuckled. “But I can’t find anything else more fitting.” He flitted over and joined the younger at the table while Mino was more concern about finally getting a meal than Seunghoon’s smart comment. “Taehyun is not here yet?”

Seungyoon didn’t bother responding. The answer was quite obvious.

“The kid is always late.” Seunghoon muttered to himself while busying himself on his phone.

“Look at all you slackers.”

A second before the voice was heard everyone in the home already felt his presence. 

“Already finding something to criticize in the morning?” Seungyoon nonchalantly questioned while still focusing his attention on the newspaper. “Don’t you get tired being…so negative all the time?”

“Aren’t you all being too carefree?” Taehyun looked at their faces while Mino appeared at the doorway. “The Society is a mess and you’re all just sitting here.” He motioned at the three.

“What does it have to do with us?” Seunghoon slightly whined.

Who exactly are the older ones here? “Their problems are going to trickle down to us.” Just because they weren’t exactly holding positions in the Society, it doesn’t mean they’ll remain unaffected. 

Moving his eyes from one person to another, Taehyun meets Mino’s gaze last.

“I should have just gone to classes.” Mino simply commented. He figured classes were going to be tiring without thinking that this house would tire him out just as much. Or maybe even more.

“Where’s Jinwoo when you need him?” Taehyun gives up and reaches for a chair before slumping in it. If the eldest was here, he would talk reason into the others – or maybe it was because they would feel bad about ever ignoring him. 

And that was Mino’s cue. “I’m leaving.” If Jinwoo showed up, he would want to spend time together and Mino would remained stuck here until the eldest had his fill of their bonding time. So before that can happen, he’ll just –

“Ugh.” A groan could be heard coming from another room after the front door loudly slammed.

Mino closes his eyes while blaming his hesitation. He missed his chance to escape.

Seungyoon lowered the newspaper to peer over it. “Good morning.” He greeted the visitor.

“Don’t speak to me yet.” Jinwoo lowly stated before rushing by the table and into the kitchen. “I haven’t had my morning meal.” Loud stomps were heard and again, everything continued slamming minutes before Jinwoo appeared back at the doorway. “Good morning!” The previous appearance of grumpy pre-meal Jinwoo was nowhere to be found and while the usual bright and cheery post-meal Jinwoo was now present. 

“It’s almost like he has two completely different personalities.” Seunghoon commented.

“Yeah, but which one is the real him though?” Taehyun questioned back in response.

“So, what’s everyone doing on this nice morning?” Jinwoo beamed while taking his own seat at the dining table. 

Mino grimaced at the sight of the contrasting Jinwoo. Everyone would get cranky if they hadn’t eaten but Jinwoo demonstrated such a startling difference in personalities that even after all this time together, it has never stopped taking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter