Chapter 42: Teammates' Bonding Time

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mino, dear.

From behind, she could see his shoulder shake but he refuses to turn around and look at her. This time, it was too much for him – as it so appears. 

Suddenly, falling to his knees, a wail rings out.

In no particular rush, she closes the distance between them to stand beside him. She gently draws his head towards her and holds him against her. Though, there was a lack of warmth in her actions.

Now, why are you so upset?

Looking out, her eyes fall on countless bodies twisted in unimaginable ways while she is stained by the blood that covered Mino from head to toe. 

Why did you make me do this?

Because it simply had to be done.

She can provide no other response other than that. It just had to be done. This was how one becomes the strongest.

The cries never stop. She couldn’t stop them. There was nothing she could say that would make him stop with the agonizing sounds that echoed through the void. 

Take my blood, it’ll make you feel better.

The breeze coming through the window does nothing to disturb Jeeun from her reverie. Chanhyuk remains on the side, keeping a close eye on her while she doesn’t give hints that she knows he is standing there. His attention moves to the saturated bandages that wraps around her head to cover her eyes. The bleeding has been an ongoing issue and it was important to replenish in the meantime. 

He has no problems with bringing her warm meals.

No matter how quickly she goes through them, he wouldn’t hesitate to leave to grab more.

But, not knowing what she was thinking certainly bothers him.

***

It was the first time in days that Haneul woke up to a morning where she didn’t feel weighed down. In fact, she was so light on her feet that the first comment she was met with was – 

“You look better today, Haneul.”

She heard one person but saw many faces scattered around her apartment. “How come you all are here?”

In fact, her home was suddenly visited by everyone in exception of two particular people – Mino and Mr. Yang. At the thought, last night comes to mind. He must have brought her to bed but how strange, he had to have touched her. 

“We wanted to see how you were doing.” Seungyoon clears up the air with a smile and draws her back from her thoughts. 

“I see.” 

“You have breakfast, Miss Haneul.” Big Seunghyun points to the kitchen table. He and Little Seunghyun were in their security uniforms and she hesitates to ask if they were neglecting their duties. 

“Thank you.” Walking over, she joins Bom at the table. “Are you all going to stay here today?”

“No, just me.” Taehyun responds.

“We have some other plans.” As if he was reminded just now of them, Seungyoon stood up and the others slowly followed. 

Bom also gets on her feet and looks down upon Haneul. “Since you’re back, don’t get too comfortable.” She can’t have her forgetting what is at stake here just because things appear normal. “Remember who you’re up against.”

“You mean, Jeeun and the Society?” Haneul questions while organizing her breakfast. “I haven’t forgotten.”

So, someone did tell her about the Society and their movements. Bom expected differently. Though she didn’t properly voice her satisfaction, Bom’s slight smile was enough for Haneul. 

***

“So, how strong is this woman?” Bobby leaned forward to ask. It’s something he has been wondering. 

“It’s better that you don’t ask.” Mino responds. “You would only lose motivation.”

Obediently, Bobby sits back into his seat and remains quiet. 

“There’s a whole army.” Jiyong reveals nonetheless. 

“Army?” The seven boys repeat in shock. 

“This is why you shouldn’t tell them these things.” Mino says pointedly in Jiyong’s direction. 

“...That wasn’t a joke?” Junhoe had some hope it was but whatever little hope he had was mercilessly crushed. 

“You’re the one that insists they can help. How can they help if you don’t give them all the details?” Jiyong shoots back. 

“I think Mino just wants us dead.” Chanwoo concludes and mutters quietly in Yunhyeong’s direction. 

“You’re so miserable.” Mino accuses Jiyong while ignoring Chanwoo’s comment. “Are you only happy when others are as well?”

His attitude is always combative when it comes to Jiyong but Mino knows the other has a point.

“It’s not really an army…there’s probably like 20 to 50 people.” Mino reveals.

“So, Mino…” Junhoe quietly calls for his attention. “Remember the last time you wanted to take our memories away? I would like to take you up on that offer now.” Because it was better to forget their whole meeting and r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter