Chapter 22: Too Early to Admit

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Gasping for air, Haneul found herself suddenly forced awake. With eyes opened wide, she was welcomed to absolute darkness. Something that she was thankful for. Reality successfully embraced her back from the nightmare that tormented her during unconsciousness. Haneul turned to lay on her side to find a more comfortable position and found herself looking at the subtle moonlight streaming into through one of the windows in the bedroom that she took up. 

And the calm air and silence only encouraged her mind to wander.

For one example – what stopped Jeeun from attacking right now? Why did Jeeun even leave to begin with?

At the thoughts, a shiver travels down her spine and she snuggles deeper into the comforter. 

Surviving?

The possibility of that actually occurring couldn’t be imagined or fathomed. Haneul felt that that was more unlikely than finding out that in this world, there are other beings besides humans. But, the fact of the matter is, she couldn’t run…she couldn’t hide. There were no means to protect herself against this enemy. Just thinking of the things these individuals could do, what they are capable of – at the memory, her hand would travel up to her neck where a phantom pain would visit a particular spot there. She wouldn’t stand a chance.

A sound interrupts the quiet surroundings and Haneul stiffens up underneath her sheets. Her heart beat quickened as she waited to hear the sound once more. She focuses – there it was again. Peeking out, she looked around the room and her eyes fell on the wall that separated this room from another. Creeping out from the safety of her comforter and bed, she tiptoed towards the barrier hoping to find the answer to her prying.

Gently, she placed her hand upon the wall and leaned in closer to hear the sound clearer. 

There was nothing initially but after a few seconds, the sound started once more and now, Haneul was able to decipher it – whimpering. The soft sounds were whimpering from the individual in the room beside hers. 

Haneul pulled back and stared at the wall. Who – 

The sound suddenly comes to a stop and a groan follows soon after that lets her know that whoever it was, was no awaken. She inhales a deep breath and take steps backwards, her eyes still set on the wall. When she could feel the back of her thighs coming in contact with the bed once more, she allowed herself to fall back to sit down. 

It sure is…complicated. 

***

First thing in the morning, the five young men found themselves seated around the dining table. The goal was to make sure they had a plan but not one word has been spoken other than the initial morning greeting. 

“So…” Seunghoon drawled, urging the conversation to finally begin. “Seungyoon, you said we needed to hide and get stronger and…” Yesterday was the last he heard of that talk. Surely, he didn’t miss it.

“Yeah.” Seungyoon’s eyes dropped down to the surface of the table. “…I hadn’t figured out that part yet.” He said softly, ashamed of his lack of preparation. Predictably, it wasn’t as easy as it sounded. Jeeun wasn’t someone they could disappear on – it was as if she had eyes everywhere. 

While the others tried to brainstorm silently, Jinwoo was more focused on something else or rather, someone else. Jinwoo took quick glimpses of Mino and though he tried to not be obvious, the young man noticed.

“What is it, Jinwoo?” Mino questioned. If Seungyoon didn’t have answers, how could he?

The others’ faces held trepidation yet, it was absent on Mino’s. The past was much different. The past Mino was afraid to the point he would shake at the sound of Jeeun’s name. Late

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter