Chapter 30: A Silver Lining

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jeeun was never a simple woman.

She was conniving. 

She was always ruthless in her ways and this time, it is no different. 

Mino to his side to find Haneul fast asleep. No matter how much he warned her, she was beginning to appear defenseless before him once more. She knew better. Possibly, this situation has finally taken a toll on her. Sometimes, it would be things like this that would remind him the difference in their body structures. Humans tired faster and based on what he had seen, Haneul had yet to catch her breath. His eyes shifted away as he noticed something drawing closer – mosquitoes. Raising his hand, he waved them away from her.

“Guys, she doesn’t like that.” He mumbled quietly. 

Setting his arm back down, Mino still couldn’t tear his eyes away from Haneul. His suspicions continued to point him in one direction. 

Mino no longer thinks he is the goal and if Haneul is right, it is rather her who is Jeeun’s goal. 

***

Haneul didn’t know exactly how long she was asleep for…not to mention she didn’t expect herself to have done it in the first place. Haneul was startled awake by grunts and looked beside her to see Mino mumbling in his sleep or rather argue. His brows furrowed and distress appeared on his features. Haneul knew what it was and lightly tapped his arm.

“Mino.” She calls out, sleep still clung to her voice. 

When he didn’t respond or open his eyes, Haneul called out once more. This time, she held his face between her hands. “Mino – “ A loud gasp follows after with Haneul staring wide-eyed at Mino who had sat upright suddenly.

“Don’t touch me.” He grabbed both of her hands and kept her still.

The frantic look on his face put her at a loss for words. What was he dreaming of that left such a look on his face?

Though, she figured the words weren’t meant for her, she was more focused on trying to calm him. “Okay, I won’t touch you.” She straightened her fingers so he would see that she wouldn’t struggle against him. “Mino, you were having a bad dream.” She says softly and in response, his hands begin loosening its grips. 

Mino inhales a shaky breath as his mind clears. His hands that still held her by her wrists – he could feel her strong pulse hitting against his fingers and focusing on that naturally slowed his own heart. 

Releasing his holds altogether, Mino looked away as embarrassment washed over him. “Look, I – “

Haneul finally realizes why he hadn’t been sleeping with the others. 

She waited for him to continue but Mino had suddenly darted towards her. One moment she was sitting on the grass and the next, he had picked her up and ran towards the home. The rush of air pushes against her as a slam of the door follows. The noise served its purpose as everyone appeared in the living room.

Mino gently sets Haneul down and straightens up. “You all feel that?”

“They found us.” Taehyun comments. 

“I can’t tell how many there are.” Big Seunghyun says. 

“We can outrun them.” Mr. Yang interjects. “But, we need to leave now.”

“That is not what I do.” Jiyong disagrees. He is trying to catch Jeeun, not run from her. 

Mino looked in Haneul’s direction and she quickly reacted. “I’ll do whatever that needs to get done.” Her life was in their hands now. 

“What are we waiting for – “

Before Taehyun could get the rest of his words out, something crashes through the wall. Everyone turns in the direction and catches a blurred body flying across the living room and landing against the opposite wall. The body drops to the ground and never gets up again.

“What the hell.” Mino mumbles.

And the truth finally settles in. “It was human.” The only explanation that made sense. 

Mino reaches out for Haneul and everything freezes as the soft voice coming from the living room distracts them.

“…Come…in.” It said and the storm that was merely brewing comes flying in full force. Mino was ripped away from the home and the others soon get pushed and thrown out through the opening in the side of the home. Haneul spins around in her spot, she was suddenly left alone. 

“Haneul, hide!”

Haneul’s breath hitched in but she couldn’t just stand here. Dashing up the stairs, she rushed into the bedroom closest to her. Just before she shut the door, she could hear soft chuckling coming from the bottom of the stairwell. 

“Girl, do you think you can get away from me?”

Her heart jerked in her chest as she looked for an escape. Her eyes immediately go to the window and she moves there quickly. While lifting it open, her hand sends the small plant to the ground. 

Looking away from her grasp on the window still, she eyes the plant once more and Haneul was left with an idea – an idea that would be crazy if it worked. But, the thought of jumping from this height would leave her with all sorts of injuries, her legs wouldn’t make it that far – 

Reaching down she crushes the plant in her hands while ignoring the thorns that cut up her fingers and rubs it on every inch of her body. 

Shuffling towards the closet, Haneul locked herself inside.

***

Mino’s hands worked quickly to end the attacks that rained down on him and his friends. The bodies he ripped through felt endless. With every step he took towards the home, another obstacle appeared in his way. 

He and the others continued to be pushed deeper into the woods. 

Mino growled as frustration took over. Jeeun really did come for her and if he was in this shape, how would Haneul last? He flashes his fangs and crimson eyes at the vampires and humans that sprinted towards him. 

***

“I can still hear you.”

It was a waste of time. Did the human really think she could escape from her? It was laughable and Jeeun didn’t bother to hide the little giggles slipping through her lips. 

“I don’t think I have ever detested someone so much.” She comments underneath her breath and while gracefully touching the railing. “How dare a mere human try to take something away from me?” 

She placed her foot on the first step that led up the stairs.

“Or is it that you don’t know better?” She continued on softly. 

From where she hid, Haneul could hear the mumbling of the woman. Haneul touched her chest, the pounding of her heart will lead Jeeun here. This won’t do. 

“But no matter – “ Jeeun creeped up the last step to rea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter