Chapter 4: Chance, Was it?

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Ever since that day, Haneul had tried her hardest not to run into Mino – fearing that maybe he’ll come to his senses and choose to change his mind once more upon realizing the mistake in his decision when seeing her cross his path.

And due to this very suspicion, Haneul nearly forgot that university life was about to begin. To be exact, first day of classes begin tomorrow. And due to all of her fear, she hasn’t exactly kept up with chores. In other words, her living room was a cluttering mess once more.

Haneul had not longed to speak to her mother so often in her life. The past few days were characterized with countless phone calls home. It seemed to be the only thing providing the young woman with some comfort. 

In conclusion, this has been a terrible time for her. 

And it was reflecting on her mentally and physically. 

***

“So, did you solve it?” Seungyoon looked across his dining table to find Mino carelessly tracing images on the glossy surface with his index finger.

Mino’s finger comes to a stop. “I would like to think so.”

“…What is that supposed to mean?”

“I allowed her to keep her memories.” The older among the two answered. “So, the problem is dealt with.” But, where to go from here? Mino didn’t know. This was a risk he has never taken before – he kept the spark of thrill alive but granted, he doesn’t know what he should do now. 

The act of mercy was unlike Mino but Seungyoon has yet to understand if this was a bad move to have Mino follow his advice. “I know I said to go after the excitement –“

“You told me to break rules.” Mino pointed out bluntly.

Seungyoon sighs. “Can we not phrase it that way?”

“If the Society finds out, I’m blaming it on you.” Mino joked.

“They won’t and you know why?” The younger questioned. “Because you’re going to make sure she doesn’t speak a word about our kind…and besides, it’s a mess in the Society right now.”

“The power struggle worsening?” Mino asked and though he brought it up, he couldn’t care less about the subject. 

“It happens every few centuries.” Seungyoon answers. “It’ll pass once the new leader is decided.” 

“Isn’t that obvious?” Mino responded. “The problem is, it takes forever for that decision to be made.” The happenings in the Society have nothing to do with him but everyone gets so sensitive and it’s tiring to avoid the political aspect of it all.

Seungyoon chuckled softly. “You know we’re not bounded by time. ‘Forever’ really means nothing to us.” 

Mino offers no response and Seungyoon places his attention on the older. 

“Promise me that you’ll eat.” He stated clearly for Mino to hear him.

The end of Mino’s lip quirked. “I’m not going to starve myself.”

Seungyoon knows he would never do it purposefully but believe it or not, Mino would do it accidentally. “Try to get blood from the girl.”

“You should see how she looks at me.”

“That’s inevitable. People fear what they don’t understand.” Seungyoon reasons. “And you’re not the easiest to understand.” Besides the fact that Mino was from an entirely different species from the human girl – his personality has always been detached. He didn’t try to understand and didn’t want others to try to understand him.

“If I get bored again…I’ll just take her memories.” He said he would give it a try after countless times of second-guessing himself. If it doesn’t work out, he can just fix it to his liking. 

***

Gathering herself, Haneul finally is ready for the day ahead. With a quick look into the hallway, Haneul hurried out the moment she felt she was in the clear. Though while locking her door, her neighborly neighbor also left his apartment the same moment. 

This is becoming a pattern.

Grabbing her sunglasses, Haneul spun around and faced him. 

“Good morning.” Mino greeted her – as if nothing had happened between the two. 

“Morning.” She answered curtly.

“Is that another one of your antics?” Mino sends her a slight smile while hinting at her sunglasses. 

It was but she would become a fool if she admits it.

Easily thinking of a response, she quickly answered. “I heard it was going to be sunny today – speaking of which, does that not…”

“I don’t burn to ashes, if that’s what you mean.” The young man answered back with amusement. 

Well, that’s exactly what she thought

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter