Chapter 14: Meaningless Words

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Upon waking up, the first thing that left her lips was a sigh. No amount of sleep would ever be able to give Haneul one morning where she didn’t feel drained. Sliding the comforter off of her, she stepped out of bed to prepare for another day. After gathering all of her things, she reached the front door. The task should have been easy but she was met with some difficulty in twisting the doorknob. The barrier felt like it was stuck and with a strong jerk, she finally got it to open.

Staring at it strangely, she tried to close it and that also proved to be problematic.

“I should tell Mr. Yang.” She spoke to herself thoughtfully. 

***

Seungyoon found himself staring at a single place – Mino’s tee neckline. The sight brought only sighs to leave his lips.

“Well, you never had self-control to begin with.” Taehyun commented from the side, filling in the silence. “Did it come as a surprise?”

“Taehyun.”

“I don’t get it.” Taehyun doesn’t mind Seungyoon’s call for him and continues. “What is the problem here? Mino fed…what’s so strange about it?”

The others shift their eyes over to Mino.

“It was like I was sleepwalking.” Mino revealed. “Before I knew it, I had broken into her home and standing right in her bedroom.”

“The Society is going to have a field day with this.” Seunghoon muttered. 

“If this continues, Jiyong will be all over it. This is the chance he is waiting for.” Jinwoo added. “I don’t know how long we could keep away from his prying.”

While the others were thinking of solutions, Mino’s thoughts always drifted back to the scene where he had been on top of Haneul, his fangs ready to break through the soft skin of her neck. It replayed over and over again. And the taste – 

“Your eyes, Mino.” Seunghoon stated.

His eyelids fluttered, hoping the red color would disappear. He was craving. It hadn’t been that long and he already wanted more.

His dry throat was a sure sign of it.

Once you give in, what purpose is there to not do it again…and again?

“I’m tired.” Mino stood to his feet. “I’m going to go make up for last night.” He didn’t have a chance to get any shut-eye. And with the boys here and present, he wasn’t worried about finding himself in some strange place upon awakening. 

***

“What did you need to see us for?”

The eight individuals sat across a nervous young woman. She kept twisting her fingers in her hands – was she doubting her decision to be here before them?

Haneul remained quiet. She wasn’t sure what to expect – 

“I saw a ghost last night.” The young woman blurted and while successfully catching the members off guard. “…Sorry, maybe I should have introduced myself first.” She inhaled a long breath before continuing. Her initial words had already occupied their attention. “My name is Suhyun.”

“Okay, Suhyun, can you start from the beginning?” Hanbin asked her gently as Donghyuk set up the voice recorder.

“I was walking through the math building – “

“The math building again?” Junhoe muttered under his breath while Suhyun didn’t allow it to interrupt her account.

“It had to have been around eleven at night and I was so sure…it was only me in the hallway but every second felt nerve-wracking. Someone else was there. I kept my eyes forward and I was trying so hard to not look anywhere else, I just wanted to hurry out of there.”

“Please go on.” Hanbin urged her.

Suhyun lifted her hand up and placed it centimeters beside her face. “And I could feel it, someone right here next me. Their eyes completely on me and I gave into the curiosity. When I turned - whoosh.”

At the sound, someone let out a surprise gasp and Haneul turned to see who it had come from – Bobby.

Noticing the attention on him, he gave everyone an apologetic smile.

“What do you mean?” Jinhwan leaned forward and asked Suhyun.

“A rush of air and out the corner of my eyes, I noticed a brief shadow.” She explained. “Really. It couldn’t have been my imagination.”

“Thank you for sharing it with us. We’ll discuss it.” Hanbin answered softly.

With a nod, Suhyun got up on her feet and left the office.

“It’s her. The one haunting the math

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter