Chapter 11: Courage is Difficult to Obtain

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Morning couldn’t have come quicker. 

After finding himself in the alleyway last night, the same alleyway that has been sending the whole neighborhood flipping out, Mino couldn’t sleep. Sleep was the last thing on his mind. He didn’t know where he would end up if he were to wake up again.

It’s been a while since he has been this freaked out. 

Mino looked at the clock on his bedside. Going to classes wasn’t something he wanted to think about at the current moment but – 

He needed another distraction.

Anything would work to keep him preoccupied and away from wondering further about the strange event from last night.

***

“Haneul, let’s have lunch together.”

Feeling someone drape their arm around her shoulders, she looked up to meet his eyes. Seeing who it was, a smile appeared on her lips. “Sure, Yunhyeong.”

He leaned in gently. “Heard you were really scared after yesterday’s meeting.”

“I couldn’t sleep.” Haneul responds softly. 

“Me either.” Yunhyeong answered in the same manner and they both chuckled. 

Finding an empty table in the canteen, the two took their seats and began their lunch. Haneul allows her eyes to wander around the space – it seems the usual person that bothers her during lunchtime isn’t around. 

That’s strange.

She thought she saw him today. She was sure that days that Mino did come to classes, he never failed to appear before her around this time.

“Are you looking for someone?” Yunhyeong suddenly asks.

“I have a friend that usually comes by.” 

“Not here today?”

“Seems like it.”

“Did you see the news this morning?” He changes the topic and Haneul focuses.

She nods her head. “…Another murder.” Not in the same alleyway but once again, in her neighborhood and around the vicinity of the previous murder. And like the first time, no traces of someone being there were left behind. They snuck in and out, as if they had no presence. 

“I think Hanbin is really convinced that it’s supernatural. He thinks it’s connected.”

“Until proven otherwise.” Haneul has started to understand how the club worked.

“You learn fast.” Yunhyeong points out with a wide grin. “But, can you also run fast?”

“Run?”

With a knowing smile, Yunhyeong merely nods. “Everything will be explained later at the meeting.”

***

“W-what?” Haneul could only utter in her shocked state. She couldn’t believe the words that met her ears. A part of her wished she had heard wrong. Another part wished she had gone home instead.

“We should go and investigate.” Hanbin repeats, not seeing a problem with his previous words.

“The crime scenes?” She asked to make sure. “Where the murders occurred? The alleyways?” She stared around the circle and each one returned a nod with their heads. 

“Haneul, we’re only stopping by and setting up cameras.” Hanbin clarifies. 

“But –“

“Nothing is going to happen.” Bobby adds. “We’re going to pop in and out – it’ll still be daytime too.”

“We shouldn’t be wandering around there.” Haneul slightly whined thinking about what the boys wanted to do.

“Just in and out, Haneul.” Hanbin comforts her.

Just like the criminal, it seems – Haneul thought to herself.

***

Sticking as close as she possibly can to the boys, the small group halted just outside the alleyway that had been cut off by yellow tape. Clearly instructing individuals not to trespass.

Yet, it’s not a warning the Paranormal Club saw as significant.

Well, one person did but she was outnumbered.

“How do we know someone will return?” Jinhwan questioned the group.

“Some criminals like to visit their crime scenes.”

“And what?” Junhoe questioned Hanbin’s reasoning. “They like to relive it?”

“That’s exactly it.” Hanbin nodded his head. “The cameras should face out so that we can see who passes by also.”

“This is a waste of time. We’re not going to catch anyone by doing this – “

“Good thinking.” Bobby agrees to Hanbin's statement before Chanwoo could finish his words.

“Bobby, you should hurry and do it before someone comes and catches us.” Hanbin lightly taps the boy’s back to encourage him to carry out the undesirable task.

“Me?” Bobby asked, eyes wide with shock.

Hanbin merely nods.

“But Donghyuk is the tech guy, remember?” Bobby diverts the attention to the next boy. “I don’t know how to handle the cameras.”

“But, Hanbin is the leader. He should show us how it’s done.” Donghyuk quickly changed the target that was on his back.

“I think the three of you should go.” Jinhwan shoved the boys forward but it was like their feet were rooted to the ground. They didn’t move an inch.

Haneul watched silently from the side while the boys continued to pass the baton amongst themselves. But, the comfort of not having her name mentioned was soon broken.

“Maybe we should let the newbie do it.” Junhoe pointed out.

But, she didn’t even want to come here to begin with. “I don’t know what to do.”

“We can give you directions from here.” The boys agreed.

fell slightly ajar. “Wha –“

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter