Chapter 18: And Through Her Foggy Mind...

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He knows he shouldn’t be alone but this was one place Jeeun hadn’t gotten to.

Yet.

Sitting on the couch in his own home, Mino kept his eyes on the front door. Not because he figured Jeeun would walk through it but because he was focusing on his neighbor across the hall.

His throat itched just merely at his imaginings of getting another taste of her blood. But, believe it or not – there was a slight tinge of guilt whenever the thought visited his mind.

“Mino, I thought Seungyoon informed you not to wander off alone.” The gentle voice appeared from behind him.

Looking over his shoulder slightly, Mino offered Jinwoo his attention. “Being together doesn’t stop her either.”

With a sigh, Jinwoo steps inside and heads over to the couch before taking a seat beside the young man. “Are you hungry again?”

“I’m never satiated.” Not after breaking his promise and spilling Haneul’s blood.

To that, Jinwoo didn’t know how to respond. He didn’t have a solution to Mino’s problem. He would advise self-control but that was something Mino has always lacked.

“Why don’t you hunt?”

Not expecting Mino’s sudden curiosity, Jinwoo was momentarily speechless. “…I just never liked it.” For as long as Jinwoo could remember, he never comprehended the thrill behind hunting for his meals.

“It’s part of our nature.” Mino reasons.

“I didn’t like to think about the fear and pain I caused them.”

Mino had always understood Jinwoo to be dreadfully empathetic. “…I see.” Mino merely says before going silent.

Peering at his face, Jinwoo wondered aloud. “Do you want to sleep?”

“I rather not.”

“I can watch over things here.”

Mino shook his head. That would achieve nothing for him. He turned his attention towards the window and Jinwoo mimicked his action.

“Can you sense it?” Mino questioned aloud.

Jinwoo nodded his head. “Should we have a look around?”

***

Jeeun moved down the corridors, walls marked with stone lying on top of one another. Her fingertips glide across the surface, feeling both the smooth and jagged edges. Candles every few feet lit her way but even if she were to close her eyes, her body would instinctively head in the right direction. 

She knew this place like the back of her hand and she would be deceiving herself if she said she didn’t miss the comfort of this place. 

This place that gave her so much authority.

So much power.

And in a blink of an eye, stolen from her by hopeless fools.

Jeeun expected that she would get to where she wanted to be before they caught onto her presence – and she didn’t have much long.

Getting closer, she heard low murmuring. The topic of choice – mostly likely her but she was glad there was no need for introduction. Jeeun was always straight to the point and wasting time wasn’t appealing to her. Her smile inches upward at the sound of silence – they’ve finally noticed.

Walking into the open room, she found such old men gathered behind long tables neatly placed near the walls in order to provide a free space at the center. 

“You all haven’t fallen dead yet?” She voiced nonchalantly. What a long life they all are living. Of course, vampires don’t die from natural causes but rather violence or unconventional methods were usually the way they would go and rarely, would there be exceptions.

And Jeeun’s life was primarily comprised by exceptions.

“Jeeun, the rumors are true.” One of the elders spoke unhappily. “You clearly know the details to your sentencing.”

“Then I got bored.” She responded with her hands casually clasped behind her back.

“Return to where you were sent.”

“You want me to return back to the mountains?” She questioned. “All these years of isolation and merely thirsting after animals’ blood…you don’t think my punishment has served its purpose?”

The elders couldn’t believe her audacity. “You think that was enough for what you had done?” Someone asked angrily. 

Jeeun flipped her dark locks over her shoulders. “Of course I do. But, I see we’re not in agreement.” She answered with a smile. “So, I’ll be on my way once I get what I came here for.”

“Jeeun, you will leave immediately.”

“And you’ll make me?” She looked back at him with red shown in her eyes. “Stop sending your guard dogs after me. I’m holding back now – you wouldn’t be able to handle it if you make me angry.”

The elder remains silent, his mind busy with the order given through her lips.

“Elder Kang is dead. Your last hope is gone.” She commented. “Quite an advantage for me.”

“Elder Min – “ The others stood up in a start, quickly recognizing her actions.

Shaking the elder’s shoulders, he blinked back. “…Jeeun, you – “ Elder Min stood up and pointed an accusing finger at her. “You dare try to take my will?”

“It’s because I can.”

“You are not the only one who is capable of this.” Elder Min retorted.

She scoffed. “Are there others that can match my talent?”

“Seungyoon – “

“You’ll be disappointed to know that he’s far from reaching me. He lacks the skills his father had.” Jeeun commented, knowing the young man mentioned did not appreciate the ability he was born with.

What a waste, it certainly was.

“He is a natural and you are – “

“What? Were you going to say, ‘an abominable exception’?” She retorted back with humor in her tone.

“What is it that you want?” An Elder spoke out.

“This is a warning.” She responds boldly. “Let me finish my task without problems and I’ll be on my way.” Spinning around on her heels, she left in the same manner she entered. 

But this time, with another problem dealt with – 

“What is it?” Exiting and moving into the open air, Jeeun questioned the young man that suddenly appeared before her.

“Mino was at his apartment.”

“Was?” Staring him down, Jeeun breathed out unhappily. “…The girl again?”

“He didn’t take her blood this time.”

But the news did nothing to quell her displeasure. “It seems that this world can’t hold the both of us.” Jeeun said to herself softly. Another’s happiness mea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter