Chapter 44: Between Two Theories

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It wasn’t her imagination.

Standing in the bathroom, in front of her mirror, Haneul looked down at her hands holding onto the sides of the white porcelain sink. The pain wasn’t as bad as it was initially. Last night – with Mino…

Closing her eyes, she reminded herself to focus.

Currently, she had two theories. 

And right now, she is about to test one of them. 

“One…two…” On the third count, Haneul breathed in deeply before dunking her own head underneath the water. Closing her eyes, she tried to focus on staying in the position as long as she could. 

“Haneul!”

Following the muffling sound of the call of her name, she felt her body pulled up and away. She gulps down the available air to fill her lungs once more. Falling to the ground, she looks to find Seungyoon crouching down in front of her. 

“The third order is – “ opens but the words remained stuck in . “Why isn’t it working?” Using the back of her hand, she wiped away the water droplets from her chin.

“Is this another incident?” He observed her in panic.

“No.” She responds.

Huffing in his position, he shot her a look. “Then, can you explain to me why you filled the sink with water and stuck your face in it, Haneul?”

“I want to know whether I’m on the right track.” And she’s just about ready to settle for an answer.

“…Right track?” 

Haneul nods her head and Seungyoon reaches out his hand to help her up.

“Haneul, let me try to bind you once more.”

With her agreement, the two sat at the small kitchen table, face to face. Looking back at Seungyoon’s red stare, Haneul didn’t fight the words that left his mouth. 

She had her doubts that it would work but when she felt this power overcome her – a familiar feeling to when Jeeun gave her the three orders – her expression changed to one of astonishment. 

“How do you feel?”

There was no complete success but it didn’t stop the small smile from emerging upon Haneul’s face. “You’ve gotten stronger.”

“But, still not enough.” A sigh leaves his lips as he sat back into the chair. 

“I felt the binding released for a moment.” 

Her response stirs Seungyoon out of his dampened mood. “Is that so?”

She nods without misgivings. 

Now that she had left her bedroom, some additions to her home captures her attention. Hawthorns. Many of them. In various places.

Leaning onto the table, he places his finger up to his chin in interest. “I have been changing my methods in how I’m practicing…it almost feels natural to me now. I have a long way to reach my father but now the goal feels attainable.” Catching himself in his own rambling, he looks back at Haneul. “Want to go see the Paranormal Club today?”

***

Walking down the hallway side by side, Haneul took in the surroundings. It hasn’t been that long but something felt different this time around. It was much emptier than normally and it felt strangely unsettling.

“Renovations.” Seungyoon explains upon noticing her observing eyes. “This area is closed off.”

“Then why are we here?”

“Bobby says it’s not a big deal…in other words, let’s not get caught.” He offered her a smile. 

“There has to be a reason why they want to keep us out.”

“You’re cautious as ever.” He comments while subtly dismissing her worry.

Before she can voice anymore of her objections, the two arrive at the office and bright faces greet them.

“Welcome back, Haneul.” Jinhwan offers her a bright smile.

“I thought Mino was with you.” Jiyong voices as he watches Haneul and Seungyoon walk in. Haneul’s attention is immediately taken by the various boxes lying around and while Seungyoon took a seat at the desk. 

“Why would he be with us?” Seungyoon questions back.

“He says two out of four incidences occurred without him being present and that’s enough for him to have a right to be around Haneul.” Taehyun explains. 

“So, Mino and…” Bobby leans over towards Taehyun to hint at his suspicions. 

“This sounds like a plot to a drama.” Junhoe mumbles to himself.

Hearing Taehyun’s mention, Haneul straightens up and away from the hawthorn plants as last night visits her memories once more. Noticing that feeling bubbling up again, she attempts to control it by closing her eyes. When she could feel it slowly overtaking her, her hand reaches out and grasps onto the thorny plant.

From behind her, half of the boys were quick to notice the scent that mingled into the air and looked in Haneul’s direction. 

The sting from the pricks cause her to jerk her hand back and she takes a look at the tiny cuts on her palm. 

“Haneul?”

Well, she certainly snapped out of that real quick. Looking over her shoulder, she shot them a sheepish smile. “I forgot the plant had thorns.” 

Seeing how th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter