Chapter 41: Live in the Moment

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chanhyuk calmly stands outside the door while Jeeun’s voice could be heard going on and on inside of the bedroom. 

Not one word made sense.

All he could assume is that they are conversations from the past.

A past he wasn’t present in. A past he was starting to piece together bit by bit. 

And it always had to do with a single name. A single name she would frantically call over and over again even though it wouldn’t be answered. So, she would cry, beg for him to come to her. 

That he needed to remain by her side.

Though Chanhyuk would be more than willing to fill the role, she never calls out his name during these moments. His presence would never cross her mind. Because he realized something – as her mind begins to fade, only memories that matter most to her would stay intact. Only memories she strongly held onto could be recalled…

So sadly, none of those memories included him. 

***

I don’t care what happens to me after this, even if it’s the last thing I do.

Haneul stares up at the ceiling of her bedroom as the words repeatedly run through her mind. There must be a reason why it continues to bother her. 

There was no reason for Jeeun to say that. 

She may have been desperate but why? It didn’t quite match up to the type of person she is – she’s narcissistic. Every encounter with her indicated so – 

Sitting up, she diverts her attention towards her window. The sunlight that managed to sneak in casted warmth across her face. 

I don’t care what happens to me after this, even if it’s the last thing I do.

The words repeat themselves over again in her mind.

“Haneul?”

Following the gentle call of her name, a soft knock interrupted the silence.

“Yes?”

Her bedroom door creaked open just wide enough for Jinwoo to peer inside. “I have some breakfast.”

“I’ll be out in a moment.”

***

“This place is too small for us.” Taehyun grumbled unhappily. Big and Little Seunghyun, Old man Yang, and Bom weren’t present but there was still five of them. 

“That’s not my issue – why are we here?” Jiyong remarked from his seat at the table. 

Taehyun looked into the multiple boxes – not to mention, the hawthorns were making him uncomfortable. 

“You’re already pissing me off – why didn’t you just not come?” Mino retorts from the seat across from him. That was the better question to ask. 

While the little complaints continued, Seunghoon kept his eyes fixated on a single person. “Hey.”

“No one is named, ‘hey’ here.” Mino mutters while checking for the time casually. 

“You already know I’m talking to you.” Seunghoon defends himself. “A third incident happened last night, didn’t it?”

The mention causes everyone’s head to turn in Mino’s direction. 

“Is that what Haneul said?” He questions in return. 

“She didn’t say anything.” Seunghoon responds. “She didn’t have to – the moment I stepped into the apartment, I could smell her blood.” There aren’t any injuries to back up his claims but he’s certain.

Just remembering Mino’s trick yesterday was enough to bring a sigh leaving Seungyoon’s lips and now this?

“Mino, what’s your problem?” Seungyoon thinks it’s finally time to put his foot down. Better late than never. “Can’t you take this seriously for once?”

“I’m gonna stay away.” Mino answers.

“I don’t want a half- promise.”

“I really will.” Mino looks up to meet Seungyoon’s eyes. “I’ll keep my distance.” Well, until Haneul wants to see him again, that is. But, he wasn’t so sure that would happen anytime soon. 

“Alright, we’ll take his word for it.” Jinwoo wraps up the conversation…besides there was something else bothering him. “Aren’t there students – “

“It’s the weekend.” Mino responds – if there were, they would be in the library. 

“Then who are we waiting for?”

The four turn their heads towards the doorway while Mino remain still. Thank God. He couldn’t deal with the people in this room anymore. 

Just as the seven boys reached the doorway, their bodies refused to do anything else. A group of men normally wouldn’t bother them – but a group of men with Mino is a different story. 

“The hawthorns didn’t work.” Junhoe muttered underneath his breath. 

The seven boys’ feet didn’t seem to want to cooperate. Their eyes shook upon each unknown face before them. 

“Kid.” Mino’s eyes fall on Hanbin at the center of the group. “Didn’t I already tell you to visit Haneul?”

“I decided it wasn’t okay to just intrude.” He responds before making his way into the room. The others behind him were too late to stop him from entering a room filled with predators. 

Without a choice, each crept in. Like trying to avoid aggravating an agitated animal, they avoided eye contact and were careful with each step until they were nearly huddling in the corner.

“Take a seat.”

Hearing Mino’s order, they scrambled. 

“You really want to piss off the Society.” Jiyong shoots a look in Mino’s direction. “They’re already prying…” He spoke through clenched teeth. 

“Their only job is to pick a new leader and they haven’t accomplished that – I’m not even worried.” Mino retorts.

“Mino, explain yourself.” Seungyoon needed to understand why there are seven humans aware of their existences.

“These kids are responsible for the hawthorn.”

That definitely stirred their interest. 

“I think they can help us.” Mino furthered explained but he could already predict their reactions. 

“Why are we asking humans for help?” Seunghoon questioned.  

“A change of scenery.” Mino vaguely responds, ignoring the rampant doubt in the room. 

Jiyong really couldn’t wrap his head around at the current situation. In what way, would these little humans be able to help? “They probably get their information from the internet.”

“Actually,” Hanbin s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter