Chapter 34: Time is Ticking Away

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Finally registering what had happened, Haneul was at a loss for words. “Mino – “

Flashing his red eyes, he wiped her memory clean of what transpired mere seconds ago. Letting go of her, he stepped back to increase the distance between the two and to hopefully pretend he didn’t just kiss her. 

Haneul blinked a few times and stared back at Mino – what happened just now? She felt like she was in a daze. 

“Are you going to watch me all night?”

“Huh?” Looking up, she met Mino’s eyes – “Oh, right.” She had been trying to convince Mino to stay and not go after Jeeun. Reaching for the door, Haneul noticed it was already locked and felt herself overcome with déjà vu. “Are you going to stay?” 

Mino breathed out a long sigh. “Only because you begged, darling.”

“I did not – “

“Go tell the others, I don’t want them wasting energy on making some barricade.”

Taking his word for it, Haneul unlocked the door and left the bedroom to meet the others outside. 

Now that he was alone, he was forced to reflect on his actions. Softly smacking his forehead, he silently scolded himself for having no self-control. Dropping his hands and his head, Mino could only sigh. 

“That was stupid to do.” He muttered to himself.

“You sure were stupid.” Seungyoon popped his head, unaware of the true reason behind Mino’s words. “Don’t think of going off on your own again.”

“Mino.” 

This time, the sound of his name brought a different kind of shiver traveling through his body. The door opens entirely and Seungyoon looked beside him. There was one thing they had forgotten about.

“Look, Jinwoo – “ Mino brought his hands up. “No hard feelings?”

Jinwoo merely shook his head as he glowered back.

Mino brought his arms wide apart as a small charming smile appeared on his lips. “Let’s hug it out.”

From the bottom floor, the others could hear dull thumping and looked up at the ceiling. 

“Haneul, what’s happening up there?” Big Seunghyun questions.

“I think Jinwoo is returning the favor.” From what she could tell from before, Mino did something bad towards the older. “They’ll work it out.” She offers the small group a reassuring smile. 

***

Joining her at the table in the kitchen was Mino – he was busy grimacing as he held his stomach, the location of his previous injury. It seems Jinwoo wasn’t merciful enough to avoid the spot. 

Looking up, he caught her eyes once more and timidly, he avoided them. Exaggerating his pain, he dropped his head to make it appear subtle.

“You take care of Jiyong.” Mino muttered towards Seungyoon.

“What does Jiyong have to do with any of this – “

Before he could finish his question, the front door opens up with a slam and in marched the devil, himself. “What the hell, Mino?”

“Can’t you tell I’m being held captive?” 

Coming over, he glares down at the young man. “Then tell me where she is.”

“She?” Mr. Yang reacts. “Jeeun? You know where she is?”

“I have a rough estimate.” Mino answers dismissively. 

Holding in his anger, Jiyong closed his eyes. “…How rough is your estimate?” This talk was doing nothing to slow his rising irritation.

“Is there a countryside close to here?” Mino asks in return to everyone’s confusion. 

“Yeah, in about every direction, Mino.” Jiyong clenches down to calmly respond. “How do we know you just didn’t dream this up on your own?”

Haneul looks up at the mention and Seungyoon witnesses the light bulb that goes off. “What is it, Haneul?”

“I think…Mino is right.” Haneul wasn’t confident but at this point, can one be sure about everything when it came to Jeeun? “Jeeun is leading him there.” Turning her head, she finally sees everyone attention on her. 

“What do you know?” Jiyong voices.

“Before all this began, Mino was sleepwalking, wasn’t he?” 

“How do you know about that, Haneul?”

Looking towards Seungyoon, she notices the surprise look upon his features. “I was a part of the Paranormal club – “ As soon as she said the club’s name, she could hear a snort coming from Jiyong’s direction, but not deterred, she continued. “They took an interest in the murders occurring in the alleyways near the University.” 

Startled by her words, Mino also straightens up to listen.

“They set up little cameras.” Well, she did. “One night, it caught Mino wandering there.” She shoots a look in Jiyong and Seungyoon’s directions.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter