Chapter 36: His Confident Decision

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

From where he stood, Mr. Yang knew what had transpired on the other side of the building. “Did you have to do that to the young woman?”

“In her new state, she will become more useful in catching Jeeun.” The Elders respond. “So, what kind of harm was done?”

“Elders, you’re causing quite a distraction from the real problem.” Mr. Yang adds casually.

“Old man Yang.” They call out. “I thought you had brushed your hands of anything relating to the Society. After your dear friend died, you didn’t want to stick around.” The Elder stares back with a slight smile upon his face. 

A sigh leaves Mr. Yang’s lips. “Don’t you feel any regret whenever you mention him?”

“Why must we?”

“You had sacrificed his life for the sake of yours.”

Boisterous laughter rings out at Mr. Yang’s words. “Old man Yang, what do you mean by that?”

“Well, only you would know.” Mr. Yang sighs. “You are once again using someone else’s life for your convenience.” They still haven’t changed after all these years. Looking away, he sees that Mino is the first to step out. Cradled in his arms was Haneul – drenched from head to toe with her own blood. 

“If she hadn’t been changed – she would have died by your hands if not by Jeeun.”

Looking at her neck, Mr. Yang notices the obvious bite marks. 

Mino observes where his attention was. “…To save her.” He answers Mr. Yang’s silent question.

Seungyoon looked towards the Elders. “What you said…please don’t speak about my father in that manner.” He voices softly. He couldn’t help but think the Elders were glad of his father’s demise. As he looked at them, he could see the suspicion in their eyes. They feared his family’s power. 

Bom looks over Mino’s shoulder, holding back a sigh. She had told Haneul that she will be left with less choices as time drags on and in the end, she was almost left with none.

Finding no other reason to stay, Mr. Yang turns away first. “Let’s bring our companion home.”

Entering the outside, the group was introduced to the night air. Preparing themselves, they were suddenly stopped short at the presence of an unwanted guest.

“If he’s here – “ Little Seunghyun immediately searched the area but was unable to sense the one person they feared most. 

“You need to come with me.” Chanhyuk ignores everyone else while he lays his eyes on a certain individual.

“Get lost.” Mino snaps.

His eyes dropped down to the young woman in Mino’s arms. The bites marks didn’t go unnoticed and paired with the faint beating of her heart, it could only mean one thing – “Did you turn her?”

In response, he was met with silence.

“Jeeun wouldn’t be happy to find out.”

“Mino – “ Mr. Yang calls out. 

One moment, it was just Chanhyuk and the next, their senses were overwhelmed. Chanhyuk obviously did not come alone. 

“Like I said before, you need to come with me.” It didn’t matter what resort he needed to reach in order to make it happen.

Chanhyuk was planning to drag everyone into the problem. No matter how much Mino thought about it, there were no other options that would have ended well. Turning towards Big Seunghyun, Mino places the unconscious Haneul into his arms. “Take care of her.”

“Mino, you can’t possibly go.” Bom unhappily asserted. 

Taking a final look of Haneul’s face, Mino makes up his mind completely before his desire to not part with Haneul gets any stronger. “I’ll see you guys at home.” His eyes flickered up to Jiyong, already seeing the gears in his mind turning. “Don’t try anything.” He warned him. 

Seungyoon didn’t know what to do. This was the very thing they stopped from happening just yesterday. He was off alone to meet Jeeun in the end. “Must you go?”

What else could be done? Mino begins walking towards Chanhyuk. “I’ll be back before the sun completely rises.” He wanted to be there when Haneul wakes up anyways. 

***

Drawing closer to the home, Mino’s dreams appeared to have become reality. The farmhouse didn’t look like how it did years ago but there was familiarity to it and certainly, the bad feeling was recognizable upon seeing it. 

This was the one place he didn’t ever want to return to. 

The door creaks open and from behind, Chanhyuk urges Mino to step inside. With each step, the floorboard creaked along. Silently, Mino looked up the staircase that led to the second landing of the home and immediately he knew where he needed to go. It was like he visited the past again. 

That was one thing he wanted to forget but Jeeun always had a knack to getting him to remember all of the bad and keeping him from working towards the good. 

Heading up mid-way, he looked back to see Chanhyuk waiting at the bottom. Turning back, he completed the distance and finally reach the bedroom. Even now, pieces of memory would flash through his mind. 

Pushing aside the trepidation in his heart, he opens the final door that stood between him and – 

“You’ve finally come.”

Looking forward, he could find her sitting at the simple wooden table in the room, her eyes set directly on him.

“It was about time.” She continued on. 

Mino forced his lips to form a small smile. The last thing he wanted was for Jeeun to feel his dread. Stepping inside, he took a look at the room. It was completely run down but in a way, it was still the same. Stilling in his steps, he notices a pile of bandages off to the side. He was quick to realize what the red was that covered it.

So, she really was injured. Then, is she healed now?

Did their chance slip away?

“Have a seat.” She motions to the chair across from her at th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter