Chapter 3: There's No Where to Hide

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Haneul propped her back against the pillow, crossed her arms, and stared across the room at the closed door that led to the hallways of the hospital. She couldn’t see but she knew he was still out there just waiting for her. 

She could have left 20 minutes ago after finishing her fluids from last night and upon waking up this morning but she didn’t feel safe enough. More specifically, she didn’t feel safe anywhere anymore. This type of vulnerability wasn’t something she was used to. Her home didn’t provide much security. After seeing a show of Mino’s strength yesterday, she knew no barrier was strong enough to keep him from her.

Her body automatically stiffens at the sound of soft knocks upon her door. Haneul couldn’t get herself to answer so the door opened anyway, revealing the nurse from last night. 

“Miss Haneul, the doctor said you could be released.”

Haneul’s eyes flickered toward the door. “…Is he still out there?”

“Are you talking about Mr. Song?” The nurse clarified, not once noticing Haneul’s jittery behavior. “Yes, he’s waiting for you.”

She knew it. “Can you please tell him to leave first?” She didn’t want to leave this room until she knew he wasn’t around. “Tell him I have matters to take care of.” She wasn’t sure how effective that excuse would be but she couldn’t think of anything else.

The nurse looked at her unsurely, wondering why the young woman was avoiding the kind man standing outside in the hall. Nonetheless, she obliged. Leaving the room and closing the door behind her, her eyes moved up to meet Mino’s.

“Miss Haneul asked me to tell you to leave first.”

Mino expected that. He heard it after all.

Mino hid the small smile that wanted to appear on his lips. Just this time, he’ll allow her to humor him. “Thank you, then I’ll get going.” With a small charming smile and a bow, Mino walked down the hallway while the nurse notified Haneul.

***

After leaving behind the hospital, Mino didn’t exactly know where to go. A common problem of his. Though he always took time to think, his feet always took him to the same place.

Not bothering to announce his arrival, Mino pushed open the door to the luxurious house and walked in. 

“You’re trespassing!” 

His lips quirked after hearing Seungyoon’s voice. “With a house like this, you should be prepared for it.” What happened to not trying to grab attention?

“You’re here again.” Seungyoon appears at the top of the winding stairs. “I thought you said it was boring here.”

“I say that all the time, does it still offend you?” Mino brushed off his words. At this point, it should just be ordinary commentary that shouldn’t be taken seriously. 

“…So, what do you have to complain about today?” Seungyoon makes his way down the stairs and heads into the dining area with Mino following in tow. 

There was really nothing to complain about – “I’m just killing time.”

“Until when?” 

“I’m waiting for someone.” Mino naturally responded, not taking initiative to say more than asked. 

Seungyoon shoots the young man a quick look. “Now you’re just dragging it out.”

“Prey.” Mino clarifies with a chuckle and go takes the seat at the dining table ahead of his friend. “I guess you can call this post-meal prey.”

Seungyoon slowly takes his seat, trying to figure out what Mino wasn’t being blunt about. “Does this prey know what you are?”

“Possibly.” Very probable, actually. Mino leaned back and slid down in the seat.

“You’re just allowing this person to wander around?” Unlike Mino’s cool behavior, Seungyoon couldn’t relax after being aware of the issue. “With that sensitive knowledge?”

“I ran into some obstacles while trying to enamor.” Quite a few avoidable obstacles, to be exact. “She passed out.” And, though he could have easily gotten into her hospital room, Mino decided to step back – not yet understanding why he had done so.

But, he said ‘obstacles’. “How many times?”

“Twice.” If he knew Seungyoon was going to pry like this, maybe it was better to just stay away from the home until the problem was resolved. 

“You’re not careless. How did that happen?” 

Well, to be truthful – he was careless. “I was hungry.” Before Haneul arrived, he hadn’t had a proper meal. 

“Were you bored with your hunt?” Seungyoon knowingly asked. Just last week, Mino had come here to complain about how uneventful his days have been. Seeing his recent attitude, Seungyoon was subtly concerned about the man’s well-being. After being immortal for so long, there were expected down periods in one’s life but Mino’s were lasting longer each time and reoccurring frequently. 

It is only right that Seungyoon should worry. 

He had witnessed many similar end results as a consequence of such attitude towards life.

Mino doesn’t respond to Seungyoon’s question, instead, he explained further. “For a second, I thought it would get exciting again.” Meeting Haneul had somewhat catalyzed a small spark for his week but it was bound to dull. 

Hearing his words, Seungyoon pondered on what to do. “…Maybe, go with it.”

“Are you telling me to break rules?” Mino looked at the man across from him in amusement.

“I’m not telling you anything.” Seungyoon denies with a shrug. “I’m telling you to go after that excitement.”

***

Sliding out of the taxi seat and out into sidewalk, Haneul couldn’t push away the trepidation in her heart. The fear had already sent her heart into a spasm and the mere sight of her apartment complex didn’t help calming it. 

Haneul shifted from foot to foot. What should she do?

Her eyes scanned the neighborhood, hoping there to be an answer for her somewhere. When her eyes caught sight of the small park down the street, Haneul thought of just going there. She may be out in the open but she knew for a fact, he was inside just waiting for her. There was no place that had enough protection to keep him away from her at this point. Seeing how it is, Haneul decides to give up.

She walked toward the park and carefully sat down on one of the wooden benches, overlooking the large field that had gathered plenty of families to play out in the bright sun and pretty weather. 

Surely, with this many people around, it would hold Mino off for a while if he were to find her –

“Haneul.” 

Her shoulders tensed – even when so many people surround her, he still won’t leave her alone.

“What tricks do you use to find me?” Haneul finally gathers her words but they only shake when she watches him sit down beside her. 

“No tricks.” He smiled at her before tapping his nose. “Just some

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter