Chapter 29: Take It Back

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Giving her small plant its fill of water, Haneul soon becomes distracted by her nagging thoughts. They didn’t leave her alone last night so it’s a given it would do the same this morning. 

Breathing out a sigh, she thought of what to do first – 

Well, one person came to mind.

***

Opening the back door, Haneul watched Seungyoon from where she was hiding and she was met with an interesting sight. 

Slowly creeping towards Seungyoon was a deer drawn by his power. Completely fascinated by what she was witnessing, she only blinked back the moment the deer also removed itself from his binding and returned to the woods. It got away just before touching his fingers with its nose. 

Stepping out, her voice rings out. “You have gotten better.”

Seungyoon sighs and straightens up while keeping his attention in the direction the deer had escaped. “Is that so?” 

Haneul had initially decided to seek Seungyoon out for a different matter but her curiosity got the better of her. “Do you not like your ability?”

Startled by her question, he turns to look at her.

It was as if all of the people here were like an open book – so easily showing their feelings and it was something Haneul was grateful for. 

“I can see it.” She goes on softly. “Your hesitation and reluctance.” He was stiff and awkward with his power whenever he used it. 

“It’s that obvious, huh?”

Haneul was sure everyone else notices it. “I hope you don’t feel guilty in being born with it.” 

Seungyoon offers his attention while she continues.

“There’s a reason why someone like you have the opportunity to wield it...it wasn’t given for the sake of burdening you but rather, a power you can use to protect.” Maybe if she put it in this perspective, it would lessen Seungyoon’s overthinking. 

Slowly, Seungyoon allowed himself to dwell on her words. “…Thanks, Haneul.” And he sincerely meant it. “Did you need me for something? I’m sure you just didn’t come out just to tell me that.”

Pressing her lips together, Haneul focused back on her original intention. “It was my fault, Seungyoon. Don’t blame Mino.” Seungyoon had yet to answer but Haneul was ready to offer an excuse. “I asked him to take me back – “

“Why?”

“Because I wanted to be of use.” She didn’t want to be a burden. She didn’t want to sit around while everyone else was working hard. “I wanted to help you guys in some way…and I’m sorry.” Her actions had the opposite effect. 

“Then – “ Seungyoon breathes in before continuing. “ – as your apology, go talk to Mino.”

“Me?” Again?

“He had been ignoring me ever since our argument, so you make sure he’s alright.”

“…I think the others can also do that.” Why was Seungyoon doing this to her? He insisted on the same thing yesterday when Mino ran off. 

What was this hesitation he was sensing from her? He fought back the smile that wanted to make an appearance. “Why are you suddenly scared?”

“I’m not.” She softly denied – but, thinking about what happened last night made her rethink Seungyoon’s request. She wasn’t sure how Mino would act today with her. 

“He will appreciate it.”

Haneul looks back up to meet Seungyoon’s eyes and immediately noticed the unspoken words upon his lips. “Why is it me that needs to talk to him?”

“Haneul, have you ever wondered why Mino allowed you to keep your memories?”

That was a matter she had long forgotten about.

“I don’t know if you have ever asked Mino or if he had even answered your questions…but, I had played a part in that decision.”

What was this feeling? It didn’t feel too good.

Seungyoon continued when Haneul fails to provide a response. “I had believed that Mino had been having bad thoughts for a while and when you appeared, I didn’t sense that from him anymore.” He knew Mino had been spending time with Haneul rather than being on his own and that in of itself was probably saving him little by little. 

So, there was such a story like that behind such a simple decision – Haneul never knew. “You had a task for me?”

He nods. “Haneul, you are here because of Mino…because there is use for you.”

This revelation has

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter