Chapter 26: Strawberry Juice

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

All Haneul could do was watch from the window as the others met outside – they needed to get stronger and there was no room for her to do the same.

And Jiyong never lets her forget it.

The three days they had been here, Jiyong found some way to input his undesired opinions. If it wasn’t reminding how weak she was, then it was commenting on the fact that she is human to further validate his claims. 

Sighing, Haneul is left watching and wishing there was something she could do to help. Her life was also in danger…the least she could do is protect herself just like how Seungyoon told her he was going to teach her.

“It must be comfortable.”

The comment comes from behind and Haneul turns around to find Bom leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed upon her chest. Right, it wasn’t only Jiyong reminding her. Bom seemed to almost have it out for her also. To begin with, they didn’t have good impressions of each other. 

“While everyone is working hard, you can stand here and do nothing.” Bom continues. 

There wasn’t anything Haneul could say in response to that. How could she defend herself when the comment rang true? “…I’ll see what I can help with.” She says softly before leaving the bedroom. Making her way downstairs, she runs into Mr. Yang who was in the kitchen. 

“They could use a meal.” He voiced.

It seems he had heard everything. Nodding her head, she walked over to the fridge to find it stacked with blood bags…there was a bit of food scattered here and there for her but she couldn’t believe the sight of red that filled up each compartment. 

“They’re hard to miss.” 

Mr. Yang’s voice breaks her from her train of thought and she gets over her hesitation by grabbing an armful of bags. Closing the fridge behind her, Haneul left through the open back door to greet the others.

“Um – I got food…” That should do – she figured.

They rush over and one by one grab whatever they needed from her arms. Mino was the last and lifted the blood bag up in her line of vision – “This doesn’t bother you?”

“I’m convincing myself that it’s strawberry juice.” She mutters which only amused Mino. “I’m going back inside.”

The only time Haneul had any privacy was when the rest were outside thinking of ways to counter Jeeun’s plans. Seeing there was something she had failed to do, she grabbed her phone to find countless messages – all belonging to the guys from school. She expected they had given up but by the number of messages and calls, they didn’t feel tired just yet. 

Dialing a different number, Haneul sat down on the bed.

“Hello?”

At first, it seemed ridiculous but she had priorities.

“I would like to take a temporary leave from school.” Just as she was about to explain, the door to the bedroom open up and Haneul kept her gaze on Mino. “For how long?”

She wasn’t so sure.

“…For the semester.” 

“That’s optimistic.” Mino teases quietly. 

“I need to fill something out?” There was a lot more to the process than she figured. “Yes, I’ll send it in.” Ending the phone call, Haneul hangs up and sets the phone aside. 

“You’re thinking about that now?” 

“I didn’t expect you to understand.” She responds softly and drops her eyes down to her hands in her lap. 

Ever since they settled here in this home, Mino noticed there to be something off about Haneul. She kept to herself even more, only talking when spoken to. Almost as if she was trying to disappear…and it all felt too familiar.  

“Are the others scaring you?” He questioned.

She looked up before shaking her head, not letting on to whatever thoughts she kept to herself. 

“Others as in Bom.” Mino clarified. The past few days, he has heard nothing but the woman picking on Haneul. It couldn’t be helped that naturally, the woman before him was such an easy target. 

Haneul shook her head again.

And something else stands out to Mino – “Have you eaten?” Her heartbeat sounds weak. 

“I haven’t had much appetite after seeing the strawberry juice.”

“Well – “ Mino turned to walk from the room. “Come along and make yourself eat something.”

***

Trying to get to the bottom of things – 

And also because he didn’t like sleeping with others around – they’ll only find out he was tormented at night – Mino found something to keep him busy. Slipping into the quiet bedroom, Mino made sure to not to make a noise that would alert Bom. 

He was going to make the visit quick and short. 

Standing in the darkness, Mino looked down at Haneul. He didn’t know what changed her behavior so suddenly. She hadn’t been eating…but at least she was sleeping…

Yet, he could feel something off. 

Haneul’s lips parted slightly and a soft sigh left through it. Stiffened by the action, Mino couldn’t get himself to move. Haneul to her back and opened her eyes and since her eyes were well adjusted to the darkness, she immediately saw the figure. Sitting up in a start, she felt a hand clasp over her lips.

“it’s me.” The voice whispers.

Slowly, the hand retracts and Haneul could finally make out Mino’s features. “What are you doing here?”

“You were making a lot of noises.” Mino quickly thinks of an excuse. 

Haneul’s shoulders drop. She had forgotten how sensitive vampires’ hearing was. Her phone lights up for the umpteenth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter