Chapter 19: See Him For Who He Is

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Upon gaining some consciousness, groans were the first to sneak through his gritted teeth. His body was sore – lifting his hand, Mino found some remnants of his injuries on his skin and allowing his limb to fall back down, he found the impact something quite unexpected. Turning his head, he only realized then that he was in a bed – his bed. 

But, he wasn’t alone.

Flipping his head in the opposite direction, he discovered Haneul looking as if she was about to fall over. His eyes moved from her eyes to her neck where the punctured wounds were still present. 

Remembering what had happened, he immediately sat erect.

“Don’t.” The word barely slipped from her lips. “…Don’t move.” 

Mino watched her bring her arms up, folding it protectively across her chest. She looked away, trying her best to regain some more of her focus but her body wasn’t cooperating. 

“How many times?” She couldn’t trust her memories. She didn’t know what was true or what she imagined. 

Mino could provide no answer.

“I – “ Haneul starts but where exactly to begin – “For helping me, I wanted to return the favor.” At the current moment, she wasn’t even wondering about why those people were after her. “But…Mino, without my knowing, you – “ Her heart sunk learning that he betrayed her trust. 

“Haneul, listen to me.” He breathed in, racking his mind for a reason – for an excuse. “I know what I did. I just – “ 

Yes, it had been hard for him. Yes, he hadn’t been himself with Jeeun being back and aiming for him but who was Haneul to have to suffer along with him. 

“Do you have nothing to say?” She spoke with whatever energy she could muster. Her gaze that had been on him began to grow unsteady. Haneul shook her head, her hand coming down upon the surface of the drawers behind her to find some balance. 

“Haneul.” Mino gently slid the comforter off of him and while watching her closely. 

“Stay where you are.” Haneul insisted breathlessly. If she was going to faint, she would rather fall to the ground than allow Mino to take another step closer to her. 

Waiting patiently, Mino could only act when Haneul was no longer pushing him away. And the moment her eyes closed, he flew across and cradled her body in his arms just a second before she could touch the floor. His own body hadn’t recovered but this much, he could do. He sat back onto the floor, catching his breath and looking down at the resting young woman. 

Hearing his ringing phone, Mino shut his eyes. The thought of moving from his spot wasn’t appealing in the least. Breathing in, he lifted Haneul in his arms and brought her over to his bed and picked up his phone.

“Yes?”

“Seunghyun told us what happened.” Seungyoon’s voice comes over.

“He should have also told you we got everyone that came.” Mino replied, hoping his nonchalance would provide the man on the other side some comfort.

“Mino, you are to come here. I refuse to let you stay on your own any longer – “

“Right after I go to the hospital.”

“How injured are you?” 

“Not me.” He glanced over his shoulder at Haneul’s sleeping form. “My neighbor.”

There was a bit of silence before Seungyoon resumed. “Seunghoon said to bring her by, he’ll check her out.”

“He doesn’t like treating humans on his free time.”

“We’re assuming she helped you in some way. So, an exception.”

***

“Rest and fluids.”

“That is the most generic thing you could have told me.” Mino pointed out before standing to his feet. “Leave me alone for a while.” Taking his leave, he carefully walks up the flight of stairs and upon reaching the door, he could hear soft breathing behind it. Opening it, Haneul’s pale complexion was something for concern but there wasn’t anything that could be done on his part. 

Gliding across the room, his eyes carefully observed her. From the soft rise of her chest, he traced her features. Well, if there was one thing he could do, only one thing came to mind. 

Appearing before Haneul, he leaned over and placed a chaste kiss upon the wounds on her neck, erasing the evidence of his betrayal. 

“Well, it was a good thing you’re still asleep.” He mumbled quietly and took a seat on the bed, careful not to disturb her. If that were to happen, he would have to witness that same expression on her face again. 

That look of hurt.

And he absolutely despised it. 

Stepping away from the bed, he offered the distance he knew she would want when she awakes. Taking a seat in the chair across the bedroom, Jinwoo quietly joined him.

“Are you beginning to feel the same way as I do?”

“About what?” Mino questioned back.

“I assume it is getting harder for you to take blood from her.” Jinwoo stated gently.

“Of course not.” The young man refused to face reality. “This is how we live.” There isn’t a need for him to feel that way. “Blood from a warm body is best.” He refuses to give into Jinwoo’s kind ideology. And temporarily, the thought subsides at the sight of Haneul awakening. Her brows furrow first as sleep begins to evade her. Her lips slightly parts to breathe in deeply. 

Mino’s legs twitched as instincts told him to check on her but remembering her reaction just hours prior, he froze in his spot.

Opening her eyes, two

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter