Chapter 12: Many Questions, Not A Lot of Answers

When Life Began
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Haneul’s blood ran cold. “Vampires?” How many were there? Are they close? How does Mino know? Her countless unanswered thoughts led her to stare in a stupor.

This wasn’t the time for Mino to worry about Haneul – it was more important that he figured out what was happening. He could feel it – the large number of them moving through the building.

“I’ll be back.”

She returned to focus. “Where are you going?” Her eyes followed after him as he headed towards the door.

“Worried about me, darling? I’ll be back, we’ll finish the game.” He offered her a quick smile before unlocking and opening the door. “Just stay inside.” He walked out and closed the barrier behind him once more. 

Haneul stared blankly at the door. What was the point in locking the door and windows? No one could enter unless invited so why did Mino warn her to do such a thing?

Were there exceptions?

The moment Mino headed down the hallway, his stiffened posture relaxed upon identifying the intruders.

Finding no other effective way to counter the group, Mino waited before the elevator. As it opened, he greeted the individuals inside. “Got business here, Jiyong?” 

Jiyong stares back with a few of his men behind and next to him. 

“Did you think I wouldn’t notice?” Mino questioned. “What are you doing here?”

“I should ask you that. You aren’t someone that is kind enough to greet us.” Jiyong merely responds.

Initially, Mino had different suspicions regarding the guests’ identities. But seeing this to be the situation, it was dramatically more desirable. In any case, this was the better scenario, he thought to himself. “And why do you keep insisting on visiting me – I’m not that lonely.”

Jiyong didn’t find the humor in the young man’s voice. 

“Here to watch over me?” Mino’s teasing smile disappears. “I’m not behind those murders.”

“Leave us to our jobs, Mino.”

The elevator doors close once more and Mino hurries back to Haneul’s apartment. Before he could knock, she opened the door. “Mino – “

“False alarm, Haneul.” He notified her. Of course it wasn’t the truth but it didn’t involve her. “We’ll finish the game another time.”

Haneul kept her attention on the man before her. Despite what Mino thought, it was quite easy to see when he lied. That smile that he offers her start to fail looking somewhat carefree. She didn’t use the word ‘genuine’ because Mino’s smiles could never be described that way – rather, carefree was better. 

“No one can enter my apartment without being invited.” She stated instead. “Are there exceptions, Mino?”

“Yes, humans.”

Mino didn’t elaborate further than that and Haneul was left uncomforted. 

***

“Seungyoon, did you know about it?” Mino sat on his couch and kept his senses preoccupied with the happenings in the apartment. “Jiyong brought a whole crew into this building.” Setting them up to watch the place.

“The Society mentioned something like that to me. But, I didn’t think they would actually do it.”

Mino groans into the cellphone. “What the hell.”

“Just go about as you usually do.”

“That’s all you got for me?” Why was the Society taking such drastic measures? Did they really think he was returning to his old bad habits? Thinking about the situation, Mino figures it would be advantageous for him to reveal the recent problems. “Seungyoon, I got something to tell you.”

“What is it?”

“…I’ve been having nightmares – more specifically about that time.” Mino revealed quietly. That was a part of his history he wished whole-heartedly wouldn’t be visiting him again. “Then I woke up in a place I don’t remember going to – I found myself in one of the alleyways.”

“Which alleyway?” The seriousness in Seungyoon’s voice doesn’t comfort Mino. “The crime scene?”

“Yeah.” Mino reaches up and rubs the side of his face. “I don’t even remember ever leaving my bed or apartment.”

For a moment, it was just silence. 

“Seungyoon, I didn’t do it.” He couldn’t be more adamant than that.

“I believe you.”

Mino sighs. 

“Taehyun and I will focus on the Society for now. You haven’t done anything wrong, so don’t act like it.”

“Got it.”

***

“Jiyong is there?” Jinwoo asked the moment Seungyoon ended the call with Mino. “Don’t they move fast.”

“Do you mind watching over Mino?”

“You do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter