Six

The Roommate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Annyeonghaseyo," she said, walking into the living room to sit opposite of him.

He smiled. "Annyeonghaseyo. You're home late."

"Just one of those days at work," Seungyeon shrugged. "Dressing up in a sageuk drama is a tedious process. I think I spend more time dressing up than acting out my lines." she laughed. 

"Have you eaten yet? Manager-hyung made this amazing bibimbap tonight. There's some left over."

Seungyeon shook her head. "No, thanks. I ate at the shoot." She pointed to his glass. "But I would love some wine though."

"I was just about to offer you." And Jonghyun smiled as he stood up. A minute later, he came back with the bottle and a glass, handing it to her.

He leaned back to his chair. "So in an effort to get to know each other better, I was wondering if we can drop the honorifics and talk casually?"

Seungyeon nodded her head in response. "Much better, sure."

"I was thinking we could play a little game..."

"Oh?" Seungyeon mused, taking a sip of wine, getting more comfortable in her seat.

"YUP. Twenty questions; you and me, right now." He took a piece of paper from his paper and unfolded it. "Two rules; be honest and no judging."

She gave a nervous laugh, "Okay, I'm in!"

"I roughly printed this list of questions from some website.So who knows what's in it." Jonghyun cleared his throat. "Question one: any siblings?"

She bobbed her head. "Yep. Two younger sisters. You?"

"Two older sisters, for a change." He laughed and looked at his list again. "Do you... smoke?" He wasn't expecting this question.

She scoffed. "Of course not. Do you? Because if you do, then I'll start packing my ---"

He cut her off. "Relax. I don't smoke. At least not anymore. But that doesn't matter."

She looked down, slightly embarassed. "Let's stick with the conventional questions, shall we?"

Jonghyun laughed. "I told you, I don't know what's on this list. And besides, it's more fun this way."

She sighed. "Arraso"

He smiled in defeat. "What was your favorite thing to do as a child?"

She cocked her head to the side in thought. "I really loved doing calligraphy. Not competitively, but for fun. What about you?"

He smiled. "Playing outdoors. Doing judo. You know average twelve-year-old-boys kind of stuff."

Seungyeon swore she saw him blush.

He cleared his throat. "Favorite holiday?"

She sighed happily this time, leaning back to her chair. "Chuseok."

"Why thanksgiving?" he asked, surprised by her answer.

"The coming together of family, the decor, the food." Seungyeon smiled, her thoughts went to visiting to her family for a moment."What's yours?"

"Christmas, of course," he said, as it were obvious.

She furrowed her brow. "That is so cliche. Everyone says Christmas."

Playfully defensive, he replied. "I have my reasons."

"And they are..."

"The Christmas bonus pay." he exclaimed and Seungyeon laughed.  "Nah just kidding. It's the music, the lights, the gift-giving." He paused, taking a sip. "It's the only time of the year where you can walk down the street and say hi to a stranger, and they'll say hi back. And they would actually mean it. The cheer and meriment in our neighborhood is completely contagious and makes you want to never live anywhere else."

Seungyeon felt her heartbeat quicken, so completely captivated by his response, she considered switching her holiday to his.

"Favorite word?"

She thought for a moment and then spoke, "Luscious."

"Luscious?"

She nodded. "Whenever I hear it, I just think of... red, big, juicy strawberries or an incredible red lipstick. It's such a warm word. And whenever I say it, I feel ier." Her honesty was surprising her tonight, it must have been the wine. 

Jonghyun swallowed, thinking how ironic it was that luscious was the word she thought of when it was the exact word that he described her. His eyes went down to her lips but his gaze was cut short when she asked, "And yours?"

He lifted his eyes. "Ruminate. To think, to ponder. I uhmm.. ruminate oftern before I compose my songs." And for a composer, his answer wasn't nearly as descriptive as hers. Because his mind was elsewhere: her lips.

"I like that word." she said, giving a genuine smile.

He smiled and looked back at the paper, clearing his mind. "Favorite sound?"

"The sound the clapperboard makes when the asst director smacks it. You?"

"Guitar strings." And in a voi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter