Thirty Two

The Roommate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

( Author's note: Brace yourself for a rollercoaster of emotions. )

 

 

"Boragu?" Seungyeon whispered, tears springing from her eyes. 

"Unnie, it's positive; see," Soojung held out the stick showing two clear, bold lines. "You're pregnant." Soojung watched and waited for her to say something.

"Unnie?"

"I'm pregnant?" Her look remained absolutely still for a beat and then a shock rose to her face. "Omona. I'm... I'm pregnant?"

Soojung felt a few tears pour down her face as Seungyeon cracks a small smile. "Yes you are..." And she was off the couch pulling her best friend into a tight hug. "You're pregnant, Seungyeon unnie." 

"With his kid..." Seungyeon's hands drifted to her stomach; making her feel foolish and giddy all at the same time. "Jonghyun!" as she spoke his name she failed to realize it no longer pains the mention of it. "I have to call him!"

Seungyeon jumped from her seat and moved to find her phone and suddenly stopped in her tracks. "Wait. I can't just call him up and say 'Hey! I'm pregnant with your baby!' and expect he'll be..."

"Why not?" Soojung laughed; Seungyeon was rarely this ruffled.

"Because this is... This is something you tell in person... right?" She bit her lip and thought it over.

"I think you probably know the best way to Jonghyun he's going to be a father." Seungyeon felt a lump in as Soojung said those words. She stood up in the center of the room, silent as she contemplated that thought. And then it her; she knew. Nodding, she swallowed back her tears.

"You're right!" She collected her purse. "I do know the best way!"

"Wait..." Soojung watched as she moved towards the door. "Where are you going?"

"To the bookstore." Seungyeon smiled and wiped her tears. "And you're coming with me!"

"Okay..." She was slightly hesitant, but reached for her purse anyway. "Why are we going to the bookstore again?"

"I'm going to buy a children's book!" Seungyeon's excitement was evident on her face, her voice and the way she moved. "It's really the only way to tell Jonghyun..." She let out breath; her excitement building up. "It's really the only way to tell Jonghyun that we're having a baby."

Since she and Soojung left her apartment that morning, she had been smiling all to much it hurt. She had practically skipped through the shelves of books finding for the perfect book and when she found it, "Pororo: The Little Penguin" -- she almost jumped up and down. As she placed the book in her basket, not about to take a chance in losing it, she whispered the title to her herself. "Pororo: The Little Penguin" and the thrill that had been cruising through her veins only intensified. 

 

 

 

It had been barely three days since Seungyeon sat with this new, wonderful secret. Deciding that it was best to tell the news to her family with Jonghyun beside her, she kept the news to herself and Soojung. She had initially been nervous, afraid it was too soon. But as the news settled in, so did the joy that brought with it. She was no longer nervous; Jonghyun wanted a baby -- he made it clear in his words and in his journal. And she wanted a baby too.

And those were the longest, most excruciating three days she had endured to fight against the urge to call Jonghyun and let him on in this new adventure. Three days, trying not to sound too excited, too happy; too pregnant.

After finding the book, she and Soojung had spent most of their time together fantasizing about the baby that was to come. The trips to the park, the playdates with Ha Rang; the memories. She had sworn her friend to secrecy and then r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter