Thirty Five

The Roommate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I am."

"You have to be kiddin' me right now."

"I am so not."

"You seriously going to tell that story?"

"That's right."

"Why?"

"Because..." His voice grew soft. "Because you're sad and I hate seeing you like this. Because we're family and you're in pain. I told this story when Soojung was sad after her sister left the company. I reckon it'll work for you."

Henry looked away and gave her a moment. Swallowing the lump in , she turned a slightly irritated glare his way.

"Well?"

"Well what?" His eyes went wide in confusion.

"Are you going to tell me the damn story or what?"

"Ah..." Henry chucked and nodded. "Yes. Yes. I am going to tell you. But let's go inside, it's getting too chilly."

He followed Seungyeon to the couch and sat down next to her. She settled into her seat; feet tucked up underneath her. "Ready?"

"Ready." she took a deep breath and focused her attention to him.

"Okay. You remember that time when I went to Hongkong for a vacation?"

"Oh God," Seungyeon groaned. "Please tell me this is not how you began your life as a male e."

"Do you remember?" He narrowed his eyes at her.

"YES." She rolled hers to him.

"So, there was this woman..."

"Why do all of your versions begin that way?"

"Want to hear the story or you want to keep poking fun at me?"

"Honestly?" She smirked and he laughed, happy to see it was working. He continued.

"Her name was Ling... or Lin... or...." He stared off as he tried to remember and Seungyeon couldn't help the small laugh that bubbled up. Of course he didn't remembered her name. "It was Liling! Never mind. Doesn't matter. She was a bit demanding but she did things that..." He trailed off as he caught himself. "Never mind."

"Doesn't matter?" Seungyeon finished his thought.

"It really doesn't, except to say this. I was supposed to meet her at this exclusive event she was attending with a group of friends. And I didn't know why she invited me because I was still not that popular that time."

"Of course you were."

"And I was nervous. So, I did what I usually do when I'm nervous."

"You got high."

"I got high." Their eyes met and they shared a small grin. "Anyway, I went back to my hotel room with  my special stash I bought from an underground club and let's just say it was really special. I mean, I am quite never sure when I last felt so hazed... in my entire pathetic life. It was a trip I had never been on before, and one I hope never to be on again. It was as if I was floating in the... what's the very out layer of the atmosphere?"

"The lonosphere," Seungyeon answered without even blinking.

"I was higher than that."

"Lovely." she said in her highest tone of sarcasm. 

"So, I called a cab and headed downtown to meet Ling. And we're driving really slowly. I mean, I don't know that we're actually going that slowly, but it feels slow to me. And everything is moving by in this weird, walking-through-Jell-O sort of way."

"You sure it was only weed you were smoking?"

"Not entirely," he admitted with a smug grin. "About half way there, I got hungry. Famished. It was like I hadn't eaten in years. And just as I realize this, i look out my window and I see this... human sized chicken; waving at me."

"A human sized chicken?"

"You know... like the mascots." Henry explained and went on. "So this chicken is waving at me, from in front of one of those fast food chicken places which, seriously, why would a CHICKEN be promoting the eating of a CHICKEN to begin with?" He looked at Seungyeon who nodded sarcastically. "And remember, I was starving. So, I made the driver stop and I ran inside for a bucket of chicken. And while I'm waiting in line, the chicken, from outside, comes in for a break. And this chicken comes over and starts talking to me."

"YAH." Seungyeon's tone had warning to it.

"I would not lie to you about this. The chicken was talking to me. Totally freaked me out. I mean, that would freak me out on a normal day, but during this little trip of mine... there aren't actually words for the experience." Henry shuddered as he remembered. "So... turns out this chic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter