Observation

Lost Identity

A few days later

I was standing on a rooftop, with the hood covered over my head. The view on the rooftop permented me to see the entire city, the skyline at the night gave a beautiful view, it’s even capable of relieving some stress. My eyes were directed on the busy pub named „Frank’s bar“ in front of me.

Pete was working at the moment as a waiter in that tavern. From the informations I collected in those two weeks I observed him, I eventually found out that he’s working there on every Friday and on the weekend from 8 pm to 3 am. He was financing his study with the money he was earning. I extended my view, with this ability I can see what’s going on in the pub without being inside. The happening inside played before my eyes as if I was seing a vision. My ears sharpened too, now I can listen to everything they were talking.

A ballad song was played in the radio. Pete went to the five visitors who just came in. The waiter staff uniform, a dark trousers, a red short-sleeved Shirt with the bow tie and the dark apron really suited him. He looked handsome… Wait, what was I thinking about? He’s my prey and not some guy I want to date. I shook my head to banish this thought from my mind.

He wrote down all the orders. To see him working with such enthusiasm made me crave more after him, I couldn’t avert my gaze from him, my eyes were glued on him as if they were his shadows. The more I was watching him, the merrier I was interested in him. I can’t understand myself why I’m obsessed to know everything about him. Every time I wanted to satisfy my thirst through him, I just held myself back. Why don’t I have the heart to hurt him? More important, why do I have memories about him?

As Pete passed by some guests, they whistled at him as if he was some chick who would do everything for money. He was feeling irritated by them but he ignored them and continued his way to the barkeeper who was the bartender too.  He gave him the orders. As he took the alcohols and placed them down before the men who whistled at him, he put an unhappy look on. One of them, problaly in his twentyish, slapped on his . The others laughed, they were enjoying themselves. Pete just squeezed his hands into fists, I could sense how hard he tried to stay calm to not lose his coolness.  

  „Do you know you just ually harassed me?“, he calmly asked the molester. „You could be sent to prison for this offend“

He laughed, he was obviously looking down on him. „Who are you to sent me to prison?“

  „Do you think I’m not capable of doing that? Let me ask you one question. Didn’t your wife satisfy you yesterday night in bed? Do you have to molest a male teeny to appease your l.i.b.i.d.o?“

  „What?“, he frowned, all of his veins on his forehead were visible, so furious he was at him.

His friends tried to hide their laughter, they secretly giggled behind his back. Murmurs arose in the bar. The molester sure was boiling from rage.

  „If you want good for the night, I can give you the address of a red light district where you can find young fresh meat like me but I can’t assure you that they can quench your lust like you want it“, he provoked him further.

Laughter echoed from all the corners. All the visitors who heard Pete humiliated him, laughed at him, even his friends who couldn’t hold their laughter anymore. The rage that was boiling inside him threatened to explode.

I think, I understimated this Pete. The first time I saw him, I thought he was a fragile boy whom I can use for my satisfaction but now I begin to change my opinion about him. He’s not that innocent and no way the nice guy next door but actually a brave, cheeky brat who’s going to show his true character if he was treated wrong. I mean, his opponent was the opposite of him, he was a taller and bulky man but he didn’t fear him at all. He instead bursted everyhting out that was on his mind. His daring behaviour put a little smile on my face.

The ert blushed from embarassment. He furiously stood up, tried to hit Pete on the face. The fist was blocked before Pete’s eyes that widened from shock. That was close, he nearly hitted him. Jet was the one who prevented the man from hurting him. I admit it, he’s fast for a mere human.

Jet protectively laid an arm over Pete’s chest, he gently pushed him behind himself. He was clearly protecting him from the ert’s fist. He tried to rest calm but he can’t hide anything from me. I could clearly feel how angry he was at the man for trying to hurt Pete. His heart was thumping fast, the muscles around his lips twitched, he was about to lose his calmness. „I hate people who doesn’t recognize their fault“, he told him through gritted teeth. „You should leave now!“

  „Who’re you to tell me to leave, you little bastard?“, the molester protested. 

  „I’m the barkeeper’s son.“

A tense atmosphere filled the air. Everybody was in full alert, they were ready to escape in case a fight break out. The bartender came between them to prevent a fight between his staff and the guest.

  „Sir, it’s better if you leave now or I’ll call the police“, the bartender too chased him out.

  „, you’re all dead, especially you“, his finger pointed to Pete.

A threat also! He want to take revenge on him. Over my dead body! Pete’s right hand was shaking from fear, he held his trembling hand to hide his anxiety from the others. The ert exited the pub whereon Pete left for the bathroom. He cleaned his face with cold water, saw his own reflection in the mirror. His hand can’t stop shaking.

  „Are you out of your mind“, a voice spoke behind him.

He turned, only by finding Jet behind him, leaning on the door and crossing his arms over his chest. Apparently his best friend was angry at him too.

  „Did you know what you just did?“, Jet told him.

  „I couldn’t let that man look down on me. It was just self-defense.“

  „You could have handle him carefully without insulting him and getting beat up. Why do I have the feeling you did it on purpose to be beating up? Do you really wish to be hurt that much?“

Pete looked all sad. Jet apparantly hitted the bull’s eye. He turned again to the mirror to avoid his friend’s face.  „What’re you talking about?“, he obvioulsy was playing innocent again.

Jet gritted his teeth, clenched his hands into fists. He went to him then turned him back to him. „I know what act you pulled out in the pub. You’re just hurt because of Earn’s death. You think you’re responsible for his dead that’s why you’re punishing yourself by provoking that man. Your aim was to be hitted by him, right?“

Again his guess was correct. Pete averted his eyes from him, Jet held on his chin then bring his gaze back to him.

  „Don’t torment yourself anymore“, was his attempt of calming him down. He gently caressed on his cheeks,  „A dead man isn’t worth it.“

My prey held on to his wrists, closed his eyes, Jet kissed him on the forehead. They stared at each others.

Again this unbearable sharp pain in the chest like I was being stabbed with a thousand knives. My expressionless face changed into a serious one. I don’t like that at all. I don’t like them being that intimitated.

Jet kissed my prey on the lips. Pete closed his eyes and moved his mouth too but opened them only a few seconds after. The kiss didn’t last long because Pete broke it off by taking a step back.

  „We need to retun to work“, he got closer to the exit.  

  „Pete?“, he called him.

Pete waited for a moment, his eyes reflected many various feelings: sadness, uncertainity, doubts and worries. „Sorry, I can’t do that. I don’t want to betray him again“, was his last words to him, he exited the bathroom.

Jet was disappointed. It wasn’t difficult to see that Pete was avoiding his kiss. Something heavy blocked Pete from being happy in another man’s embrace. That something was Earn. Jet even knew it, his crush can’t forget his dead boyfriend so easily.

  „I can’t even beat him, a dead man“, he sighed then followed him back in the pub.

A silhouette was some meters from the bar. It was the molester who just threatened Pete. Is he waiting for Pete to come out so he could take revenge on him? I smirked codly. Like I said, you’ll only be capable of hurting Pete over my dead body. I was angry at him for molesting my prey. The thing that made me more enraged was my prey and his best friend’s little kiss. Since I was hungry and needed to drink, I’ll just satisfy myself with him for now.

My lips formed a little evil grin. I leaped down, touched down on the ground in front of the molester. He shrieked, jumped back from anxiety, his eyes grew wide from surprise. My eyes colour changed to red, my fangs protruded. I grabbed on his hair, pulled his head aside then mercilessly bitted on his neck.