Another Monster

Lost Identity

It was middle of the night, Jet waited for someone in the park, he sticked his hands in the pocket. I stood some meters away from him behind a tree, leaning against the tree with arms crossed over my chest. I remained cautious, he shouldn’t discover me yet.

A silhouette approached him. The slender figure gave off a strong presence of a man but it was actually a beautiful young girl in my age with flawless tanned skin, big round eyes, long eyelashes and long dark hairs that were tied together. The wind blew strong, it howled as if it was warning the residents that something dangerous would take place soon. The two of them waited a moment until the wind calmed down, silence then filled the air.

  „We have to speak about our problem“, she broke the silence between them.

  „What problem?“

  „Don’t act dumb in front of me! You already knew that a vampire was lurking around in the city but didn’t do anything against him.“

  „Clara“, he tried to calm her.

  „Don’t call me like that!“

From her tone of speaking, I noticed she wasn’t a nice fragile girl at all who needed to be protected from the evil. She just looked nice but indeed have a devil personality. She was a bossy, cheeky and fierce brat who spoke everything that was on her mind. I think Jet has difficulties to control her.  

  „You’re the alpha of our pack but doesn’t do anything to protect us. Why didn’t you act until now?“, she continued.

  „I have to observe the situation and gather informations about him first. Something could go wrong if I act too impulsive. I always tell you to know your enemy first before striking.“

  „You taught me to be patient but what if he seize us first? He could kill us like his kin killed my whole family. I won’t let him kill me by being such a sassy like you.“

She wanted to go but he grabbed her arm. His calm expression changed into a serious one.

  „Don’t do anything out of anger! If you’re too impulsive…“

She yanked her hand out his grip before he could finisch his sentence. „I’ll just do what it’s right for me“, after she expressed her feelings, she left in a direction.

Jet squeezed his hands to fists, he growled, „Come out, Earn!“

I came out my corner, standing before him. Some meters spaces separated us, it was a good idea not to approach him more than that, his current tense body language revealed how furious he was at me.

Now I was aware of the creature residing inside him. It doesn’t surprise me anymore why he always faintly smell like a soaked puppy, had this tan skin and such a high temperature. Those feautures were trademarks of a werewolf.

  „What a surprise! Not just a mere werewolf but an alpha also“, I smirked, „I bet Pete doesn’t know about your big secret.“

  „This secret should remain undiscovered. He doesn’t need to know about the dangerous happenings going on in the world“, this sentence sounded like a threat in my sensitive ears.

He doesn't want me to tell him about his secret.  „You’re underestimated Pete. He’s not so clueless like you think.“

  „It doesn’t matter if he's aware of vampires as long as he doesn’t know about my true form“. He waited for a moment then changed the topic, „What’re you doing here? She could have notice you.“

  „You’re worried about me?“. Actually I knew he didn’t care about me but I wanted to provoke him by acting all clueless like he did to mislead me and to hide his secret. „Since when did you knew I turned into a vampire?“

  „I sensed you when you attacked the man named Tong Chanthara six days ago. I could smell his blood mixing with your blood, your scent was all over the place too. Never in my life could I forget your scent you always left on Pete as you was alive.“

  „I see.“

  „I don’t want to fight you but just warn you. Don’t approach Pete anymore!“

  „So you can have him? Never whilst in your dream!“

My stubborn remark made him boil from anger, his eyes colour changed to gold like the colour of a big black cat. He growled like a beast, his fingernails extended to claws of a monster, fur grew on his face, his entire body. His face transformed, it was half-werewolf and half-human.

  „If I were you I won’t attack me. It’s not fullmoon.“

  „I’m strong enough to fight you. Even if it’s not fullmoon, I’ll still be able to injure you.“

Jet was right. It wasn’t fullmoon so he can’t transform in his complete werewolf-form but since he’s an  alpha of a wolfpack, he’s strong enough to leave some grave injuries on me. I won’t go easy on him either.  

He ran to me, his steps speeded up. He’s really fast, no wonder he could block the fist when the molester tried to hit Pete. My fangs came out, my eyes changed to red. I waited for him. There he was above me, he wanted to ram his claws in my chest. I went in a flash behind him, kicked hard on his back. The strengh I used in that kick tossed him forward, he managed to controll himself, pressed his feet on the ground and landed on one knee kneeled on the ground. His furious face was fixed on me.

Suddenly a painfully m.o.a.n echoed in my ears. Pete’s voice! It immediately caught my attention, I averted my gaze from him and saw in the direction of Pete’s apartment.

  „Pete?“, I reacted worried about him.

I stood riveted on the spot, listened carefuly to his m.o.a.n. My instinct urged me to go to him. I have to be by his side. Wait, I was involved in a fight. Damn it! I forgot Jet. I turned to him, he was standing in front of me. He was about to scratch his claws in my face, I reacted fast, pulled my head back but I was too slow. Too late! His claws scratched at my cheek, leaving four deep marks in my skin. The claws-marks burned, it hurted. Since it was an injury caused by a werewolf, it’ll take some hours before the wound would fully heal from itself.

I never flee from a battle but I have to give up on this fight this time. Pete was at the moment more important to me than a mere challenge between two rivals. I ignored Jet and was about to go.

  „You have to let Pete go! Clara already sensed you, the new vampire in town. Her grudge against vampires doesn’t know boundaries She would use any chance she finds to kill you, even use Pete as bait to lure you out“, he warned me. He lowered his voice, „Don’t drag Pete in that fight“, this time it didn’t sound like an order but more like a plead.

After a silent moment went by, I finally moved and ran fast as the lightning in a direction. Pete’s apartment was in front of me. I crawled the wall up, gently pushed on the window and forced it open. I jumped in Pete’s room without making a noise sound that could wake him up. He was sleeping in the bed, making a single sound-that was his irregular breathing. Yesterday he was in the hospital because of his relapsing Pneumothorax, he’s definetely worn out from all the examination he had gone through.

A plate filled with soup was on the table. Maybe Jet cooked it for him but he didn’t touch the food. I quietly sat next to him on the bed, placed my cold hand on his cheek and tenderly caressed him. He moved in his sleep, slowly opened his eyes. The first thing he laid his eyes upon was on me.

  „Earn?“, his soft voice spoke my name.

It actually surprised me to hear him calling my name. At first he didn’t want to admit that I was Earn but now my name easily came out of his mouth. Did he finally recognize I’m Earn, his dead boyfriend?

  „How’re you feeling?“

A little smile appeared on his face, „I’m okay.“

I touched on his forehead. He sat up and bent his legs while pulling the blanket up over his knees. His slender fingers carefully s.t.r.o.k.e.d over the claw marks on my cheek that slowly healed. His warm body raised my cold temperature. This abnormal phenomena again!   

  „What happened to you?“, he asked me.

  „Nothing much. I just scratched myself.“

He stared at me. I knew from his silence that he didn’t believe my lie but didn’t want to force the truth out me either. He choose to left the matter for the time being. I was able to give him a little genuine smile that took some of his pain away. The picture on the table drew my attention. Pete and Earn... No, Pete and I were on the photo, we smiled, looked happy together. Pete too was staring at the picture.

  „It was taking on our first day in the university“, he told me with a smile on his face.

This event was familiar to me. I remembered that day: I was against taking a photo in front of the university but he inssisted on taking one with me. To not make him angry, I gave in and asked a stranger to photograph us.

  „You didn’t want to do it but I was persistent and dragged you to take the picture with me. Can you remember it?“

  „Only broken pieces of the happening… You knew I would turn into a vampire.“

  „Yeah, I knew it“, he saw on his bedsheet, looking somehow sad about an event, „After all I was there when everything happened... I witnessed your death “, he mumbled so quietly as if he didn’t want me to hear it but thanks to my sharp hearability I could clearly hear him.

To not make him anymore sad and loosen the heavy tension in the atmosphere, I disclosed the discussion for the time being by gently grabbing on his chin und turn his head back to me. 

  „Why can’t you remember your past life?“

  „I can only give you answers if I remember everything. You’re problaly the only one who can help me recover my lost memories.“

  „…Alright. I’ll help you remember everything.“

I held his warm hand, carefully s.t.r.o.k.e.d on the back of his hand then gave him a passionate kiss on the forehead. Silence arose between us, he came closer to me then leaned his head against mine. I wanted to kiss him but held back as Jet’s warning replayed in my head.

Jet’s worried that I could jeopadize you by being by your side. He don’t have to worry about you, I won’t let danger come near your, Pete.