Loi Krathong (Festival of Lights)

Lost Identity

 

 

The sword fight show finally ended, the visitors left the room, Pete and I remained behind them and followed the crowd outside. We exited the building and made our way to the car.

Pete told me I really liked such shows before but I can’t understand how I found something that crap interesting. Unfortunately since I’m a vampire and can’t sleep anyway, I forced myself to keep my eyes on the Sword Fighting show till the end. It was boring.

I laid my eyes on Pete who was beside me. He kept smiling, couldn’t even surpress the smile. At least he’s happy. As long as he’s overjoyed, I’m satisfied too. I took the latern out the car. We walked on the street.

  „When you was a human, you wanted to be a good policeman. You told me you want to protect me from the evil criminals from the world. Seriously, it was so cheesy of you to say something like that. I knew it’s impossible to protect me everyday but I believed you“, he started a conversation. He grinned the whole time when he reminisced about the past. „I disliked you so much the first time we met at the kindergarten.“

  „Why?“, was my question to him.

  „Because you was the loudest guy in the class and I was the shyest. You liked to talk to everyone so I found you irritated.“

Since he talked about the past from thirteen years ago, the memories just flashed before my eyes. I recalled the first time we met in the kindergarten: That day he wore a white short, rose Shirt with a white bow-tie. He had that gloomy expression on his face as if he wasn’t happy with his look. Everybody noticed that his mother forced him in that cloths he didn’t like at all but to be honest, he was so small and looked cute like a puppy back then. Who would have thought the small Pete would grow up so much. He’s now only a few inches smaller than me.     

More memories flashed before my eyes: After the kindergarten we went in seperate class in elementary school but met again in middle school. Meanwhile I became the class clown and he was the most intelligent in the class. We sat in the same bench but he still didn’t like me because I was still rude and talked everything that crossed in my mind without thinking first. Our friendship developed after I helped him against some bullies who disliked him for his intelligence. Since then we became best friend till he confessed his love to me, it was on a broad daylight in high school as we just turned 15 years old. First I avoided him because for me he was just my best friend, I just didn’t know what to do with the awkward situation.

More pictures appeared in my mind: It were pictures of the sad, shocking and painful faces he made when he heard of the death of his parents two months after his confession to me.

His nonstop sobbing echoed in my ears. I concentrated to banish his cries from my head.  

On the day of his parents death, he cried over and over. He refused to eat nor sleep till he fell unconscious on the third day of the mourn. Feeling sad and pained by his pitiful state, I wanted to be there for him and take his pain away. It was when I realized that I already fell in love with him without even knowing it. I confessed to him as he woke up from the sickbed, our relationship began after the mourn.   

Those memories were all important and precious to me. How could I ever forget about those events we shared together? I want to remember more of our past, about everything I experienced with him.

I laid my arm around his shoulders then pulled him closer to me. My sudden reaction surprised him but conjured a smile on his lips. We stopped before the red light, patiently waiting for the light to change green.

  „You was generous even in kindergarten. Some day I was alone reading a book while everyone played in the schoolyard. You noticed that everyone avoided me but came to ask me if I wanted to play with you. Can you remember what was my answer?“

  „Get lost! That was your words to me.“

He tried to surpress his laughter, ended up giggling by himself, he laughed, „Back then you pissed me off by disturbing me.“

  „Everyone thought you was a shy and innocent boy but ever since you blew me off, I realized how mischievous you actually was. You can be really cheeky.“

He laughed louder, it echoed through the entire street. The light finally changed to green, we crossed over to the other street. We curved in a turning and finally arrived at the river, the beachside was filled with many people holding their latern, they anticipated waited for the festival of Lights to begin. It was so full with people that we have to forge ahead between the crowd. We found a place in a corner.

It was time to light the latern, now everyone hold out their lighter. Pete did the same while I held the latern high, he lightened it and held on it too. Now it was time to let it go, Pete and I let go of our latern. It flew in the sky amoung with many others latern, looked like a thousand Stars flying in the night sky. What a calming view! Three guys and one girl came toward us. Pete recognized them as his friends, waved and greeted them. Two of them seemed to be already drunk, one of them staggered, the second couldn’t stand on his own feet and must be supported by the only girl in the group.

  „Your new boyfriend?“, the one who staggered asked him.

Actually I recognized the four of them, they were Pete’s law classmates. Since I wore the sunglass they won’t notice me anyway as Earn, his dead boyfriend.

  „Yeah… He’s my new boyfriend“, he told them while scratching at the back of his head.

  „Finally you let go of the dead Earn. We were worried about you because we thought you would never get over him“, a guy of the group proudly said to him.

  „But what about Jet?“, one of the drunk guys asked.  

Anger built inside me as soon as he mentioned Jet. My blood boiled from anger but I controlled myself to not show my jealousy. Yeah, I’m jealous of Jet. Before I remembered about my past, I was angry at him whenever he was close to Pete. I couldn’t understand why I had the urge to tare them apart but now that I have my memories back, I knew what those weird feelings meant. It was pure jealousy because he touched my boyfriend.

  „What about P’Jet?“, Pete asked him, he raised his eyesbrowns and eagerly waited for his reply.

  „I thought you two would…“, the girl next to him rammed her elbow in his stomach to shup him up. „Ouch, what did I do?“, he protested. He wanted to speak again but the sober one placed his hand over his mouth to block him from speaking any nonsense. 

The girl cought embaressed, „He thought P’Jet would come with you. Where’s he anyway?“, she abruptly changed the topic.

This girl knew how to read the mood, on the contrary to that idiot who wanted to reveal Jet’s love for Pete who didn’t understand the secret play between his friends.

  „He has some family business and left for his hometown one week ago“, he shrugged then introduced me as his new boyfriend Eric but didn’t reveal them my real name.

  „Shall we go in front of the water?“, another guy from the group asked him.

  „Do you want to come with us?“, he wanted to know from me.

  „No. Go with them, I’ll wait here for you.“

The girl grabbed on his arm then pulled him forward. The others ran after them. I finally took the black sunglass since it disturbed me. Something suddenly rushed in a lightning speed beside me, it slightly bumped against my arm.

  „Don’t loose sight of him or you’ll regret it later“, a cold voice whispered too close to my ear. 

The voice sounded deep and calm but evil, I briefly shivered. A vampire! …Pete! I ran forward, went amoung the crowds of people, searching for Pete. Please, be safe! I finally came in front of the water. There he was, crouching down and watching some candle floating above the water. Nothing happened to him, Thanks god he was safe!

My chest that felt heavy from tension sank down from relief. Pete and his friends turned in my direction, they noticed me. He happily waved to me. What the… A person dressed all black was suddenly behind him. His face was covered with the hood over his head, it was impossible to catch a glimpse on his face but I could clearly see something happening with his expression. It was his devious smirk.

His hand approached Pete’s neck. I went fast like the lightning to him, trying to pull the mysterious person from my boyfriend. The stranger disappeared! I wandered my eyes around but found him nowhwere. He just disappeared without a trace.

Pete’s friend reacted surprised at my sudden appearance. The drunk guys didn’t recognize me as Earn but his two sober friends looked surprised at my look that resembled Earn. Murmurs arose between them, they were wondering how I was just there and was now suddenly before them. They were asking how I could move so fast. Pete looked worried at me.

  „What’s wrong?“, he asked me.

  „Nothing“, I turned back to him, only by finding something red on his neck. Blood! A cut was on his neck. I touched on the cut, blood came on my finger, „You’re bleeding.“

He touched on his neck then saw on his bloodied finger. „Indeed I’m bleeding. Since when did I get hurt?“. He wondered about the injury he even didn’t realize. 

I didn't have to think to know how he got injured. The mysterious vampire did it to him. 

A threat also!

This stranger apparantly didn’t understand the meaning of the festival of Lights. It should bring peace and glory days in the future and not new danger.

Who was he? Why was he targeting Pete?

 

 


 

 

My comment: So this is the first chapter in the New Year 2016, I hope you had a good sylvester/celebration :) Sorry, New Year is here but the characters in the story have now November, Hopefully you like the chapter and thanks for the beautiful comments that always encourage me to write more :)